rescaping woes

yikai

• Senior Reefer

hey reefers here's a question for you. have you ever just did a rescape or a mini rescape, then when u finish liao u find that the current scaping is not as nice as before? i think this is very common if im not wrong. anyone wanna share? haha

or just because of a crab u tear down ur whole tank and later find out that ur current rescape is not as good as before.

• Senior Reefer

last time i hand itchy go pull out some liverock....then when want to put back everything back to place, suddenly all the pieces dont fit and the whole tank become dam ugly -_- had to spend whole day putting it back together again and until this day, cannot achieve my old scape -.-

last time i hand itchy go pull out some liverock....then when want to put back everything back to place, suddenly all the pieces dont fit and the whole tank become dam ugly -_- had to spend whole day putting it back together again and until this day, cannot achieve my old scape -.-

welcome to the club bro!

as u know, i recently did a re-scape... and quite frankly... i think my initial scape was better... but after all the hours spent and aching back... there's no way i can do that anytime so soon...

i feel that for densely packed tanks, rescaping is always a risky affair.

So plan carefully before doing it. I shall do so!

and one impt thing, always use big pieces of rocks as the main structure. (this i learn the hard way)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• Senior Reefer
welcome to the club bro!

as u know, i recently did a re-scape... and quite frankly... i think my initial scape was better... but after all the hours spent and aching back... there's no way i can do that anytime so soon...

i feel that for densely packed tanks, rescaping is always a risky affair.

So plan carefully before doing it. I shall do so!

and one impt thing, always use big pieces of rocks as the main structure. (this i learn the hard way)

i recently did a mini re-scape without killing majority of my current design...i just pulled out loose rocks inside my scaping like jenga and becoz of that, some corals have to be re-arranged. i have to say, the inside of my rockwork now is much less dense and my fish can actually swim tru it lol. the number of fish in my tank has "decreased" because they now swim inside my rocks as compared to before lol... so not all can be seen at the same time as compared to last time.

this brings me to the second point. my tank don't have as much fish as i originally thought. time to go LFS-ing X) hahaha jk.

• SRC Member

i totally understand your feelings. I ever spent 10plus hours scaping my stupid LR. And it is only a 3 footer! :blink: Somehow one rock feels funny and then u pull out and the whole thing collapse then u do it all over again and again.

I think many of us have been through that. Sometimes it really depends on your 'FORM'. If that day got feeling, anyhow put also nice.

That is part of reefing for all of us.....

• Senior Reefer
i totally understand your feelings. I ever spent 10plus hours scaping my stupid LR. And it is only a 3 footer! :blink: Somehow one rock feels funny and then u pull out and the whole thing collapse then u do it all over again and again.

I think many of us have been through that. Sometimes it really depends on your 'FORM'. If that day got feeling, anyhow put also nice.

That is part of reefing for all of us.....

yes i totally agree. i think rescaping u have to do it on a day when u feel happy and artistic with inspiration. i ever did it when i was feeling sad and took it out on my tank and rescaped it lol. total disaster -_-

the worst thing is, sometimes u tell urself. ok i just remove this rock, then i put it back. then u remove another one and put it back in its original place. somehow, it CANNOT be placed back in it's original place wihtout looking weird and not the same. haha. 8th world wonder.

• SRC Member

Look at the bright side. Through rescape, you may come up with new space for new residents.

Re-scaping can be bad for your coral's health though. They don't want to be touched too much. (especially by dirty old men) ;)

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer
Look at the bright side. Through rescape, you may come up with new space for new residents.

Re-scaping can be bad for your coral's health though. They don't want to be touched too much. (especially by dirty old men) ;)

XD im a dirty lemon. must wash me first before u squeeze me for juice ok?

ya correct. rescaping is fun if u know how to do it haha/ cnanot anyhow. wait will be dam depressing. see ur tank in a mess/

• SRC Member
XD im a dirty lemon. must wash me first before u squeeze me for juice ok?

ya correct. rescaping is fun if u know how to do it haha/ cnanot anyhow. wait will be dam depressing. see ur tank in a mess/

Another workaround is to put in more gems to hide the ugly scape. LOL

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

I did a minor "disruption"to my rocks too 3 weeks ago.....after looking at some TOTM in reef central and the other local forum...haha.. <_< trying to be like the pros...in the end i just decide to buy more corals n fill up the gaps... :whistle

Realised some of the pros use epoxy to stick their rocks and using PVC pipes to build the structure...

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer
I did a minor "disruption"to my rocks too 3 weeks ago.....after looking at some TOTM in reef central and the other local forum...haha.. <_< trying to be like the pros...in the end i just decide to buy more corals n fill up the gaps... :whistle

Realised some of the pros use epoxy to stick their rocks and using PVC pipes to build the structure...

lol. i dun like epoxying rocks. very laychey and when wan to rescape very mafan. but yea make its secure. and PVC pipes are good. can create good structure and holes for fish to swim tru