Lighting qn

hi bros/sis, i have a qn regarding T5 lighting. Is it sufficient to use 4 T5 HO for a 3x2x2 LPS tank? Will be having mainly hard and soft corals...nt intending to go into sps...i will be using 2xAquaBlu special, 2x True Actinic...den wil be using a 1x150W 14k mh to supplement the T5s. My T5 lighting will be on for 8 hrs, mh on for 3 hrs, den my arrangement of lighitng will be aquablu spec - actinic - mh - actinic - aquablu spec...

is this arrangement ok? pls help to advise cos i haf no experience wif ne T5 b4...the mh is for shimmering effect as well as to penetrate to the bottom of the sandbed...im using 2 actinic bcos i absolutely love blue color haha tats y the choice of the tubes...for the blueish effect...

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

Should be no problem bro, but the long term costs of ownership of the 4x 3ft T5HOs have always seemed unattractive.

I've thought about trying T5HO for a long time on my planted FW, but chickened out and stuck with MH.

You're going to be changing 4 tubes of T5H0 every 6 - 9 months, if you want to keep the lighting at its peak, and those suckers aren't cheap.

Personally I would go with just 1x 250w MH for 8 hours a day (with 2 tubes of actinic if really needed or for viewing only.) And see how it goes, I reckon its enough for LPS.

Or 2x 150w MH for 8 hours a day if worried about coverage.

You'll only need to change MH bulbs around every 12 months and you can probably drag your actinics out for 12 months with them.

Also your equipment (reflectors, ballasts etc) will be more standardized for easier maintenance / replacement.

Or maybe can consider going 1x 150w, 1x 70w MH if you're concerned about heat or power consumption.

Based on current electrical tariffs (which will be coming down a bit):

250W MH 8 hrs / day = $165 per year

2x 150W MH 8 hrs /day = $198 per year

4x T5HO 3ft 39W each 8 hrs / day = $102 per year

Yearly tube replacement costs:

4x T5HO tubes per year (6mth replacement) = $240.00

1x 250w MH = $100

1x 150w MH = $90

If you're intending to keep your T5HOs at peak output and changing them twice a year, they are the most expensive option to run.

Should be no problem bro, but the long term costs of ownership of the 4x 3ft T5HOs have always seemed unattractive.

I've thought about trying T5HO for a long time on my planted FW, but chickened out and stuck with MH.

You're going to be changing 4 tubes of T5H0 every 6 - 9 months, if you want to keep the lighting at its peak, and those suckers aren't cheap.

Personally I would go with just 1x 250w MH for 8 hours a day (with 2 tubes of actinic if really needed or for viewing only.) And see how it goes, I reckon its enough for LPS.

Or 2x 150w MH for 8 hours a day if worried about coverage.

You'll only need to change MH bulbs around every 12 months and you can probably drag your actinics out for 12 months with them.

Also your equipment (reflectors, ballasts etc) will be more standardized for easier maintenance / replacement.

Or maybe can consider going 1x 150w, 1x 70w MH if you're concerned about heat or power consumption.

Based on current electrical tariffs (which will be coming down a bit):

250W MH 8 hrs / day = $165 per year

2x 150W MH 8 hrs /day = $198 per year

4x T5HO 3ft 39W each 8 hrs / day = $102 per year

Yearly tube replacement costs:

4x T5HO tubes per year (6mth replacement) = $240.00

1x 250w MH = $100

1x 150w MH = $90

If you're intending to keep your T5HOs at peak output and changing them twice a year, they are the most expensive option to run.

haha thks bro, i juz discovered one ting...i guess im nt the only 1 who wld calculate all the potential costs to this extent lol

bt hor, T5 nid to change twice a yr meh? even if i were to use ATI bulbs? read somewhere in src tat the tubes can be used for up to 20 mths oso no prob...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

haha thks bro, i juz discovered one ting...i guess im nt the only 1 who wld calculate all the potential costs to this extent lol

bt hor, T5 nid to change twice a yr meh? even if i were to use ATI bulbs? read somewhere in src tat the tubes can be used for up to 20 mths oso no prob...

I think 1 year is the maximum leh, no matter what brand, have not seen any of them recommend using for more than 12 months before for T5HO or VHO.

But the light quality will start degrading after 6 - 8 months. Can maybe drag to 1 year, but if you don't mind 1yr old T5, I think your MH can keep using for 1.5yrs lol.

Yeah have to calculate electrical consumption all the time for me, lol.

I have 2 Computers which are running 24/7 and 3 FW tanks, 1 brackish tank (totalling 9 feet)

And soon to add 1 more JBJ 28G :ph34r: and possibly a 2 foot crab tank :pinch:

I think 1 year is the maximum leh, no matter what brand, have not seen any of them recommend using for more than 12 months before for T5HO or VHO.

But the light quality will start degrading after 6 - 8 months. Can maybe drag to 1 year, but if you don't mind 1yr old T5, I think your MH can keep using for 1.5yrs lol.

Yeah have to calculate electrical consumption all the time for me, lol.

I have 2 Computers which are running 24/7 and 3 FW tanks, 1 brackish tank (totalling 9 feet)

And soon to add 1 more JBJ 28G :ph34r: and possibly a 2 foot crab tank :pinch:

wa bro...u wanna open a LFS issit lol

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

wa bro...u wanna open a LFS issit lol

lol no lah, just can't stop collecting..

Breeding Hawaiian Red Shrimp, CRS, Microrasboras Galaxy, Boraras Brigattae and Sakura (Cherry) shrimp. They cannot share tank parameters leh, so no choice,

need to have their own tanks.

Thinking about starting Dwarf Crayfish also, CPOs, but see how first, need to concentrate time (and $$$$) on Marine first.

lol no lah, just can't stop collecting..

Breeding Hawaiian Red Shrimp, CRS, Microrasboras Galaxy, Boraras Brigattae and Sakura (Cherry) shrimp. They cannot share tank parameters leh, so no choice,

need to have their own tanks.

Thinking about starting Dwarf Crayfish also, CPOs, but see how first, need to concentrate time (and $$$$) on Marine first.

Oh and I have 3 cats..but cats not for breeding one :pirate: