Going to HK... which LFS to go??

wilsontantw

I'm planning a short weekend trip to HK this coming Apr and would like to 'shop' around a little for some softies.

Hope you guys can help with some questions here:

1) Anyone knows which shops i should visit? (in goldfish street)?

2) Also, are there any import rules that i should be aware of? (i think instead of putting into bags + salt water, i'm intending to use wet newspaper and zip lock bag to transport them if i should buy anything.)

3) i'll also try to find the SCWD. Almost cannot be found in SG anymore. anyone knows the local pricing for it?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

what is SCWD?

called a 'squid'... it basically allows a return to be split into 2 (and return to main tank).

A mechanism inside this 'toy' will alternate the flow between the 2 outputs. (I don't think i saw this at RD the last time i was there).

Courtesy of RD

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Bro markietan should be the right person to ask. ^_^

Do share your experience (and frags :eyebrow: ) once you're back!

yeah, i happened to have the chance to meet him few weeks back.

saw his purchases. very different from what we've got there!

Will try to take some pix and share the experience and shops there (if they allow pic taking).

frags ah... i have to give my bro-in-law to select first b4 putting on sale... coz i will need his help to look after my tank when im away.

i still think i could end up with only zoas or mushies... the rest like not very possible to bring back.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Bought my 3/4" SCWD at RD about 4 months ago. If I remember correctly it costs $79. Or thereabouts.

Petmart can also bring it in for you if you ask them to.

how do you find that toy?? the price should be around there... will check and see if HK is cheaper.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

i saw it a while ago. still got a couple of boxes left

bottom left hand corner

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

You can easily spend a whole day along gold fish street. Exercise more caution than normal because you'll not be able to go back to the LFS if you need a follow-up visit regarding your purchase.

With regards to your question on allowable imports check: http://www.ava.gov.sg/InformationForTravel...lFish/index.htm

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
5 pieces of not more than 5kg in total weight per person per trip, subject to a maximum of 10 pieces and total weight not more than 10kg per car (2 or more persons in the car)

Thanks for the link! Looks like getting corals shouldn't be too much of a problem. ^_^

You can easily spend a whole day along gold fish street. Exercise more caution than normal because you'll not be able to go back to the LFS if you need a follow-up visit regarding your purchase.

With regards to your question on allowable imports check: http://www.ava.gov.sg/InformationForTravel...lFish/index.htm

cool! thanks so much for the link... now i know i will not be breaking the law if i bring any zoas/mushies back.

:)

Doubt i have 1 full day there, as i'll be going with my wife...

hopefully can get some decent softies back to share with all you friends.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Hi why 'you'll not be able to go back to the LFS ....?' ; just out of curiosity as i thought of making a trip there too somewhere in Apr. thanks

• Senior Reefer
Hi why 'you'll not be able to go back to the LFS ....?' ; just out of curiosity as i thought of making a trip there too somewhere in Apr. thanks

i think what he means is that once u buy back to SG, u cannot go back and complain or follow up. unless u wanna buy another ticket to HK. lol

• SRC Member
i think what he means is that once u buy back to SG, u cannot go back and complain or follow up. unless u wanna buy another ticket to HK. lol

Yeah, you got that right.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
cool! thanks so much for the link... now i know i will not be breaking the law if i bring any zoas/mushies back.

:)

Doubt i have 1 full day there, as i'll be going with my wife...

hopefully can get some decent softies back to share with all you friends.

Sure you can, send her to Langham place, Mongkok, and TST with your supp card. She'll not want to leave. That, however, is the price you need to pay to spend more time along GF street. :pirate: Might be more expensive than have corals shipped from the US. Hahaha...

• SRC Member
anybody knows any website to check for stocklist in HK LFS?

http://www.hksaltfish.com/

• SRC Member

SCWD can get from Reefdepot.. cheap and good. economy bad, must support local economy first! =)

as for the goldfish market, here's something i sent to sis ming yesterday

the street is called Tung Choi Street. It is located at Kowloon and the nearest MTR should be Mong Kok (Wang Jiao) or Mong Kok East Station. Just get to that train station and ask around in English / Cantonese (don't use chinese or they think u're from mainland...) and most people will be able to guide you there. You'll see alot of fish and pet shops along the road... about 12 or so selling marine fish and about 8 of so sells corals, mostly LPS.

If you're looking for equipments and additives, there's this shop that always very crowded and is called "something" distributor... The equipments sold there is probably the cheapest on the street. I think for purchases > $200 SGD you can get 10% discount cause I saw a thai couple did that. But because they all speak in cantonese, you'll need to be able to tell them what you need, so maybe a picture of something in mind might be useful.

most of the shops open from 11 onwards till about 8, so don't go too early. There are some nice places to eat along that street too... if you're thinking of bringing zoos back, might be good to bring some water tight tupperware along and plan that as the last stop b4 flying off. the zoas are all loose, so no rocks attached.. which is great cause AVA don't like live rocks.. also zoas are not listed under CITES, so don't need to apply for permit. as for other LPS, you got to check. If i'm not wrong, you are allowed to bring 5 palm sized zoas back.. dun take my word for that, check with ava pls.

last tip is don't forget to bargain! they do cut the prices by quite abit since business is quite competitive on that street. good hunting for zoas and do bring back some gems! then sell me a frag. haha

if you're a budget traveller, you can check out this hostel called Dragon hostel. its right smack in mong kok, between ladies street and the IT street and gold fish street and dunno what other streets.... haha very convient to travel further too cause the mini buses and MTR station is just below.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m...006974&z=18

there is more info here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_Choi_Street

hope that helps!! :rolleyes:

Sure you can, send her to Langham place, Mongkok, and TST with your supp card. She'll not want to leave. That, however, is the price you need to pay to spend more time along GF street. :pirate: Might be more expensive than have corals shipped from the US. Hahaha...

I would definitely love to do that and shop alone, but i really doubt she dares to shop alone in the streets of HK.

really thanks so much for sharing!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

SCWD can get from Reefdepot.. cheap and good. economy bad, must support local economy first! =)

as for the goldfish market, here's something i sent to sis ming yesterday

the street is called Tung Choi Street. It is located at Kowloon and the nearest MTR should be Mong Kok (Wang Jiao) or Mong Kok East Station. Just get to that train station and ask around in English / Cantonese (don't use chinese or they think u're from mainland...) and most people will be able to guide you there. You'll see alot of fish and pet shops along the road... about 12 or so selling marine fish and about 8 of so sells corals, mostly LPS.

If you're looking for equipments and additives, there's this shop that always very crowded and is called "something" distributor... The equipments sold there is probably the cheapest on the street. I think for purchases > $200 SGD you can get 10% discount cause I saw a thai couple did that. But because they all speak in cantonese, you'll need to be able to tell them what you need, so maybe a picture of something in mind might be useful.

most of the shops open from 11 onwards till about 8, so don't go too early. There are some nice places to eat along that street too... if you're thinking of bringing zoos back, might be good to bring some water tight tupperware along and plan that as the last stop b4 flying off. the zoas are all loose, so no rocks attached.. which is great cause AVA don't like live rocks.. also zoas are not listed under CITES, so don't need to apply for permit. as for other LPS, you got to check. If i'm not wrong, you are allowed to bring 5 palm sized zoas back.. dun take my word for that, check with ava pls.

last tip is don't forget to bargain! they do cut the prices by quite abit since business is quite competitive on that street. good hunting for zoas and do bring back some gems! then sell me a frag. haha

if you're a budget traveller, you can check out this hostel called Dragon hostel. its right smack in mong kok, between ladies street and the IT street and gold fish street and dunno what other streets.... haha very convient to travel further too cause the mini buses and MTR station is just below.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m...006974&z=18

there is more info here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_Choi_Street

hope that helps!! :rolleyes:

Wow Mark! Thanks so much and really appreciate a lot. i'm sure it'll be helpful to everyone going to HK in future...

According to my wife, we should be staying somewhere very near the markets... and since my flight back to SG is at 8pm, im sure i'll go there on my last day (sunday!!!)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

If you can, take some photos of the place and post it here when you're back. It'll be nice to see how the LFSs in HK look like. ^_^

yeah... i plan to do a field report.. (but only if they allow photo taking).

hopefully can find some nice stuff there (and can bring back enuff to share with friends here).

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|