Zoas under attack by cleaner shrimp?

reaper78

Hi all. Just bought some corals from GO. I notice the cleaner shrimp is in a 'stab' motion with it's white fangs (i not sure what u call that) on the zoas. The zoas is still adapting to the new tank.

Initally i thought the shrimp was searching for parasite or something but i saw one of the polys fall off. Anyone experience this b4? I thinking of removing the cleaner shrimp....pls advice. Thanks

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

• SRC Member
Hi all. Just bought some corals from GO. I notice the cleaner shrimp is in a 'stab' motion with it's white fangs (i not sure what u call that) on the zoas. The zoas is still adapting to the new tank.

Initally i thought the shrimp was searching for parasite or something but i saw one of the polys fall off. Anyone experience this b4? I thinking of removing the cleaner shrimp....pls advice. Thanks

Dun think so...cleaner shrimps only feed on dead organisms. Cd be the polyps are "sick"...

They will go on top of the polyps to search for food, but definitely not to eat the polyps.

Check the health of yr zoas....those indon zoas cannot make it...seems to be infested with disease.

Wat type of zoa u bought? eagle eye, lemon green, red devil eye...??

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

i have heard of hungry cleaner shrimps eating corals, but this is not likely. very rare case. HOWEVER, i have heard of camel shrimps, peppermint shrimps and coral banded shrimps disturbing and eating corals. these are some of the less reef safe ones. although the probability of shrimps eating corals are rare, it is not entirely non existant. isit u never feed ur shrimp? feed it more lor. make it full

Dun think so...cleaner shrimps only feed on dead organisms. Cd be the polyps are "sick"...

They will go on top of the polyps to search for food, but definitely not to eat the polyps.

Check the health of yr zoas....those indon zoas cannot make it...seems to be infested with disease.

Wat type of zoa u bought? eagle eye, lemon green, red devil eye...??

I not sure what type of zoas. I will post a pic tmr. i SHifted the zoas to another part of e tank. Seems like the shrimp left it alone. ALso the shrimp is picking on the yumas as well, same 'stab' motion. I quicking shifting it too. Seems like the shrimp is not too happy that the coral is invading into their turf? I not sure....

The zoas open up last night, but few of the polys did not.

i have heard of hungry cleaner shrimps eating corals, but this is not likely. very rare case. HOWEVER, i have heard of camel shrimps, peppermint shrimps and coral banded shrimps disturbing and eating corals. these are some of the less reef safe ones. although the probability of shrimps eating corals are rare, it is not entirely non existant. isit u never feed ur shrimp? feed it more lor. make it full

The pair if cleaner shrimp is getting fatter fatter everyday.......but i didnt target feed it, to be specific. Wanted to remove it but it serve it function well to relieve itch for the tangs...

• SRC Member
The pair if cleaner shrimp is getting fatter fatter everyday.......but i didnt target feed it, to be specific. Wanted to remove it but it serve it function well to relieve itch for the tangs...

Ohh..i know wat u mean by "stabbing" motion....ok ok...yr cleaner shrimps not eating yr zoas...they are trying to search for food stucked in between the corals sometimes...thats y they are called cleaner shrimps...

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

they are just picking for food inbetween the zoas. no worry. likely to cause any severe damage. unless u see them actually tearing off pieces of ur corals, then u will have to remove either the shrimp or the coral.

they are just picking for food inbetween the zoas. no worry. likely to cause any severe damage. unless u see them actually tearing off pieces of ur corals, then u will have to remove either the shrimp or the coral.

Precisely, i thought that they were serching for food. There are two shrimps in my tank, one of which is just 'searching' for food, while e other is actually using force to stab the polys. (i saw one of the polys falling off as a result).

To be safe, i shifted it together with the yuma to another side. I on reverist duty today, i keeping my finger crossed that when i return home tmr, the corals are still in one piece. :unsure:

Precisely, i thought that they were serching for food. There are two shrimps in my tank, one of which is just 'searching' for food, while e other is actually using force to stab the polys. (i saw one of the polys falling off as a result).

To be safe, i shifted it together with the yuma to another side. I on reverist duty today, i keeping my finger crossed that when i return home tmr, the corals are still in one piece. :unsure:

I took some pics w/o the T5 lights on. Any comments?

last pic very nice. isit a yuma? haha. very green

Yeap, is a yuma. LNow i recall dat i saw aiptasia growing on the zoas, later i post a pic to cfm. By the way boss, thank you for your reply. Most helpful, appreciate it.

Lastly how to differeniate between a torch and frogspawn coral?? Or are they e same. I did a research on the internet, but it look similar to me....haha...

• Senior Reefer

please dun call me boss haha. ok got 2 kinds of frogspawn and one kind of torch. very easy to differenciate. frogspawn got 2 kinds. one is true frogspawn, another one is octopus. here some fotos to show u. these are all frogspawns. usually, the tip of the tentacles are rounded and are quite thick, the tentacles. ocotpus coral is another variant of frogspawn (correct me here if im wrong, any pros), the tentacle is thick and have many rounded tips on the whole length of the tentacles.

post-15755-1235028233.jpg

post-15755-1235028240.jpg

• Senior Reefer

torch coral the tentacles are longer thinner and have only one rounded tip at the end. usually come in green, brown and red colours. got some torch also have short tentacles, but when ur experienced enuf, u can tell with just one look. actually, the true way to differenciate corals of the euphyllia sp is to see the skeleton. but very hard unless u have a dead coral haha. here some pics of torch coral. u see the diff? these are my torch coral. my favourite coral in my tank. see the diff between this and frogspawn.

post-15755-1235028446.jpg

post-15755-1235028456.jpg

torch coral the tentacles are longer thinner and have only one rounded tip at the end. usually come in green, brown and red colours. got some torch also have short tentacles, but when ur experienced enuf, u can tell with just one look. actually, the true way to differenciate corals of the euphyllia sp is to see the skeleton. but very hard unless u have a dead coral haha. here some pics of torch coral. u see the diff? these are my torch coral. my favourite coral in my tank. see the diff between this and frogspawn.

OIC. Thanks for the enlightenment. hehe. Got red torch ah? that be really interesting.

they look fine to me. dun worry la. ur cleaner shrimps wun harm them too much (:

Another problem lor....i think is really aiptasia. Saw two of them in the polys. Another problem lor......hmm....i trying not to use chemical on it. Perhaps i should get a a) nudibranch, B) Copperband butterflyfish, c) peppermint shrimp. <_<

• Senior Reefer

i dun see the aiptasia? since they growing so near ur zoos. i dun suggest using chemicals. u can try digging it out. but make sure u dig the whole thing. leave one small piece behind, and it will grow into a new aiptasia. i dun suggest a nudibranch. i dun tink now have shipment, and when ur aiptasia gone, they will starve. dun get copperband coz they dun feed well, and they are quite troublesome to care for. MAY eat ur corals also. best is peppermint shrimps. get 2-3 so that the chances of getting them to eat it is higher

i dun see the aiptasia? since they growing so near ur zoos. i dun suggest using chemicals. u can try digging it out. but make sure u dig the whole thing. leave one small piece behind, and it will grow into a new aiptasia. i dun suggest a nudibranch. i dun tink now have shipment, and when ur aiptasia gone, they will starve. dun get copperband coz they dun feed well, and they are quite troublesome to care for. MAY eat ur corals also. best is peppermint shrimps. get 2-3 so that the chances of getting them to eat it is higher

I tried. Just mins ago, i try to siphon out but the irritant hid in the poly. My camera not powerful enff, cant zoom in any further.....hehe...think i need to upgrade the camera as well....

Well another problem i need to face.....constant troubleshooting.....that is why i beginning to love reefing...hehehe