Bubbles on LR

mecedesfish

• SRC Member

Hi,

During my 250w MH light on, after about 3 hours later, there are small little air bubbles that are form on the LR. I have also found that a bit on greenish on the surface where the MH light exposed on it.

My set up is about 2 month (4lx2wx1.5h) and i reduced my lighting from 5 to 4hrs.

is this very common?

(will try to post picture)

Thank

• SRC Member

It's probably gas produced by the algae in the rock photosynthesizing, quite normal if observed to be in small quantity, but if the green stuff spreads, it is probably your water parameters (NO3, PO4) you should be concerned about, not the lights.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

yup. as binosage said, those are oxygen bubbles produced by photosynthesizing algae. the bubbles get trapped in the algae haha. this is actually good, give oxygen. but the bad outweighs the good in this case. too much algae growth = bad!

• SRC Member
It's probably gas produced by the algae in the rock photosynthesizing, quite normal if observed to be in small quantity, but if the green stuff spreads, it is probably your water parameters (NO3, PO4) you should be concerned about, not the lights.

i notice the greenish stuff and my first thought was algae. it was more where my MH ray shine on it and with bubbles.

Actually i have change about 15% water last friday plus reduce lighting hour as well as feeding less on forzen food.

• SRC Member
yup. as binosage said, those are oxygen bubbles produced by photosynthesizing algae. the bubbles get trapped in the algae haha. this is actually good, give oxygen. but the bad outweighs the good in this case. too much algae growth = bad!

Wat need to be done? I can actually see the the greenish is in photosynthese. The CR combine with CO2 with make it to take foods. I really hope ot was not green algae.

• Senior Reefer

it is algae. i have some also. but mine one small patch i just leave it be haha. lazy to remove. u can siphon it out, first to prevent it from spreading. long term solution is to reduce ur no3 and po4. feed less, change more water.

• Senior Reefer
do you think Seahare will be a choice for algae?

depends on the kind of algae. usually yes. good algae eaters. they wun eat those hard hard stuck to the glass one though. that one snail better.

• SRC Member
Just use hands to pluck them out or use an old toothbrush to brush them will do.

Green algae vs brown algae...i rather have green algae...tangs will feed on green algae.

I added a number of LPS and hope that i wont move it unnecessary. It is troublesome to do it.