Too much bubbles??

Hi All,

Been more than 2 mths since i started with the marine tank. I intending to start with soft corals/lps first (bearing in mind the water parimeters etc etc.)

I was wondering if the 'current" created by ehiem pump and hydor water pump is too intense? From my observation, there are bubbles resulting in the collision between the two pumps as i placed my hydor on the opposite end (to create a wave-like effect). I not sure if it could cause any significant impact, eg stress to the corals which i going to acquire later.

As for the fishes, i have 2 cardinal, 2 percula, 2 yellow-tail damsel, 2 cleaner shrimp 3 different tangs. Except for the cardinal, the rest should be enjoying the current flowing thru their gills?

I have attach some pics, pls comment. Thank you for reading

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

Nice set-up! IMHO, the bubbles will greatly reduce if you do not point the wave maker towards the surface. Also, pointing pump towards the surface will cause salt spray on your lightings. ;-)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Nice set-up! IMHO, the bubbles will greatly reduce if you do not point the wave maker towards the surface. Also, pointing pump towards the surface will cause salt spray on your lightings. ;-)

Thanks. Been like a 'slave' to the tank already...haha.... Intially excessive brown alage, high nitrate but now under control. Recently the white-face tang contacted with white spot, which i suspect is itch spread to the purple tang. Grave mistake was i didnt quarantine them. Luckily the yellow tang was not affected. Now dose frozen food with kent garlic extreme and install uv-c UV, keeping finger crossed that it be fine.

Seems like i cant really direct the flow 'downwards' as the sand bed (mistake, shouldnt bought the finest grade) kept flowing down to my sump and my worst fear is that the return and other 3 small pumps for equipment might be jammed.

I notice some dark red jelly like substance growing on the live rock. Is that coraline alge? Occasionally it peel off, probably the tang was feasting on it? Any thoughts on this, anyone?

• Senior Reefer
Thanks. Been like a 'slave' to the tank already...haha.... Intially excessive brown alage, high nitrate but now under control. Recently the white-face tang contacted with white spot, which i suspect is itch spread to the purple tang. Grave mistake was i didnt quarantine them. Luckily the yellow tang was not affected. Now dose frozen food with kent garlic extreme and install uv-c UV, keeping finger crossed that it be fine.

Seems like i cant really direct the flow 'downwards' as the sand bed (mistake, shouldnt bought the finest grade) kept flowing down to my sump and my worst fear is that the return and other 3 small pumps for equipment might be jammed.

I notice some dark red jelly like substance growing on the live rock. Is that coraline alge? Occasionally it peel off, probably the tang was feasting on it? Any thoughts on this, anyone?

coralline algae is hard and calcerous purple-red algae. if it is jelly, it is probably cyanobacteria, the dreaded red slime algae. check ur nutrient level, increase flow and siphon the algae out.

• SRC Member
Hi All,

Been more than 2 mths since i started with the marine tank. I intending to start with soft corals/lps first (bearing in mind the water parimeters etc etc.)

I was wondering if the 'current" created by ehiem pump and hydor water pump is too intense? From my observation, there are bubbles resulting in the collision between the two pumps as i placed my hydor on the opposite end (to create a wave-like effect). I not sure if it could cause any significant impact, eg stress to the corals which i going to acquire later.

As for the fishes, i have 2 cardinal, 2 percula, 2 yellow-tail damsel, 2 cleaner shrimp 3 different tangs. Except for the cardinal, the rest should be enjoying the current flowing thru their gills?

I have attach some pics, pls comment. Thank you for reading

You can try shifting yr hydor slightly towards the front.

Your flow looks good for SPS and also yr rockscape allows u to plant some SPS on top.

l7304smr.jpg

coralline algae is hard and calcerous purple-red algae. if it is jelly, it is probably cyanobacteria, the dreaded red slime algae. check ur nutrient level, increase flow and siphon the algae out.

Cyanobacteria? okay i do a research on it. Btwn Nitrate is almost '0' (after using AZ NO3). Used to be almost 50ppm, and after water changes is ard 25ppm. i running a FR with rowas for 2 mths liao, i go check on po4, probably time to change the media. Thanks for the pointer

You can try shifting yr hydor slightly towards the front.

Your flow looks good for SPS and also yr rockscape allows u to plant some SPS on top.

SPS? eh not at e moment, i heard is not easy to maintain SPS. Understand is necessary to haf a CR? Currently i dosing aquapharm A + B together with other supplements too. I diy a Kalwaisser container with 4-6 drops/sec too.

Running 4 tubes of T5, with only a pair switch on with the assistance of a timer. (1 x white, 10,000k with a artinic blue).

SPS? eh not at e moment, i heard is not easy to maintain SPS. Understand is necessary to haf a CR? Currently i dosing aquapharm A + B together with other supplements too. I diy a Kalwaisser container with 4-6 drops/sec too.

Running 4 tubes of T5, with only a pair switch on with the assistance of a timer. (1 x white, 10,000k with a artinic blue).

Attached a pic of the 'red algae'. anyone ID/cfm it to be cyno bacteria? Thanks

it doesnt look like cyanobacteria, and it doesnt look like coralline also, because u say it is soft? jelly? perhaps it is some kind of sponge :)

Sponge? eh i guess is food for angel fish?? yah..is soft, like jelly like substance......hmm...

Hi Bro,

Its definitely not coralines, I suggest you siphon them out.

Don't have to direct it downwards, either horizontal or a slight tilt downwards and face it slightly to the front rather than directly at the return pipe.

HTH ;-)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hi Bro,

Don't have to direct it downwards, either horizontal or a slight tilt downwards and face it slightly to the front rather than directly at the return pipe.

HTH ;-)

Okay thanks for e advice

Hi Bro,

HTH ;-)

Felt soft and jelly-like, have to peel it off with my hand in order to siphon them. Damm gross.....hahaha

Felt soft and jelly-like, have to peel it off with my hand in order to siphon them. Damm gross.....hahaha

Hi Bro,

For those it could be some kind of sponges (see below) that usually hitch hike on LRs, I usually remove them. In fact, I always check my LRs and even corals carefully to ensure that I do not have any unwanted pest lurking in them.

"Chicken Liver Sponge- invasive 6/4/03

I have a 180 gal. reef tank that's been set up for 1 1/2 years. Most of it's contents came from two other tanks which where running for about 4 years. I had purchased a Turbinaria coral from my aquarium club auction (Brooklyn Aquarium Society) about 3 years ago which had a small brown sponge on the rock. At the time I thought it was a great deal, 2-for-1. Unfortunately I've been battling the spread of this sponge-from-hell for the last couple of years. I've done everything from removing rocks to injecting Kalkwasser/Muriatic acid to pulling it off the rocks.

<Yowsa... look out for the flamethrowers and napalm, next!>

This stuff just will not die. I have tried to ID the sponge, the best I can guess is it looks like chicken liver sponge (Chondrilla).

<Doh! that sounds like the invasive bugger>

I was hoping you might know of a natural predator e.g. Nudibranch, sea star or reef safe fish that I might try to control this sponge? Thank you. Kevin Moriarty (aquanut)

<try some urchins instead, my friend... truly lawnmowers on a reef. May or may not help here... sponges are certainly noxious... and chicken liver sponge does have a horrible reputation. Best regards, Anthony>

Source: www.wetwebmedia.com"

More info:

http://www.marinespecies.eu/species.php?sp...uide&id=444

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/MarineInv...illanucula.html

HTH ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hi Bro,

For those it could be some kind of sponges (see below) that usually hitch hike on LRs, I usually remove them. In fact, I always check my LRs and even corals carefully to ensure that I do not have any unwanted pest lurking in them.

I have a 180 gal. reef tank that's been set up for 1 1/2 years. Most of it's contents came from two other tanks which where running for about 4 years. I had purchased a Turbinaria coral from my aquarium club auction (Brooklyn Aquarium Society) about 3 years ago which had a small brown sponge on the rock. At the time I thought it was a great deal, 2-for-1. Unfortunately I've been battling the spread of this sponge-from-hell for the last couple of years. I've done everything from removing rocks to injecting Kalkwasser/Muriatic acid to pulling it off the rocks.

This stuff just will not die. I have tried to ID the sponge, the best I can guess is it looks like chicken liver sponge (Chondrilla).

I was hoping you might know of a natural predator e.g. Nudibranch, sea star or reef safe fish that I might try to control this sponge? Thank you. Kevin Moriarty (aquanut)

<try some urchins instead, my friend... truly lawnmowers on a reef. May or may not help here... sponges are certainly noxious... and chicken liver sponge does have a horrible reputation. Best regards, Anthony>

More info:

HTH ;)

Thanks for the informative info......i suspect is the overfeeding as recently the tang's contacted with white spot (since to get better with UV and garlic). Monitor and see......

Hi Bro,

More info:

HTH ;)

Thanks for the informative info......i suspect is the overfeeding as recently the tang's contacted with white spot (since to get better with UV and garlic). Monitor and see......

Besides that, frequent partial water changes will do wonders! ;)

Happy reefing!

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Happy reefing!

Just perform a water change. Bought Sea water from Irwana yesterday...I cutting down on the feeding since i away for reservist....hehe

Happy reefing!

By the way, may i ask are there any german brand T5 lites dat i can fix just like my existing unit?? As the current T5 is 'MIC". Any lastly is it advisable to place another hydor pump korlia 2 on the extreme left on the tank??

u can get ATI lights. lost of places sell. i bought mine from henry at ML

Thanks for e reply. But ATI T5 fixture can "clip" and hang as my current aquazonic T5? I thought must drill and hang on the wall?

By the way, may i ask are there any german brand T5 lites dat i can fix just like my existing unit?? As the current T5 is 'MIC". Any lastly is it advisable to place another hydor pump korlia 2 on the extreme left on the tank??

Most current German fixtures are designed for hanging, I am not aware any that can be place on the tank.

If you are thinking of keeping mixed reef, I think it should be alright. If you are planning softies, fowlr or seahorse then it is not necessary.

HTH ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of: