Lighting for zoos

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Hi fellow reefers. have a question about zoos. i notice those zoos that i put at the bottom of my tank grow long and ugly...sometimes polyps fall off. when i place it higher at the top/middle of tank, they do much better. polyps become shorter and more compact. does this mean that they like the light? i am told that zoos looove light, but i am also told that zoos can adjust to different light levels. currently now my zoos all middle high section of my tank where light is quite strong.... my question is, i dun have MH and am using T5s flourescent. is this sufficient for my zoos? all my other corals like torch, bubble. hammer etc etc seem to do well no matter where i put them...only my zoos. they seem to prefer middle to top section. so just wanna know if my lighting is sufficient to keep them long term?

total is 4 T5 tubes, 2 white 2 actinic. 39W per tube. that means a total of 78W of white and 78W of actinic.

• SRC Member

may i ask what fixture are u using? individual reflectors and good ballast are crucial for the effectiveness of t5s..

generally speaking, the longer the polyp of the zoas, it means the zoa is trying to reach for more light, therefore place it higher.. zoas are found in shallow waters in the sea, subjected to tide changes.. this is why we can carry zoas dry as it can survive without water for quite some time.. it needs strong lights and a good current..hope that helps.. :)

• SRC Member
i dunno....the lights are just those normal T5s....cheap one haha. with nothing fancy. just attatched to the top of my tank.

Brother Lemon,

If yr flow is strong, the zoas will be short n compact. Not entirely on the lighting.

Depending on the species, some requires strong lighting. Thats why zoas are harder than mushies and even some LPS corals...sian...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

in general 4 tubes should be sufficient.. even though china brands are not recommended.. if u notice colours start to fade, or the polyps are stretching taller, place them higher..

• Senior Reefer
in general 4 tubes should be sufficient.. even though china brands are not recommended.. if u notice colours start to fade, or the polyps are stretching taller, place them higher..

so far nothing bad yet lor. except for one the polyps look longer so i put higher. my zoos now all are doing fine, just very kiasu lol. scared not enuf light

• SRC Member
so far nothing bad yet lor. except for one the polyps look longer so i put higher. my zoos now all are doing fine, just very kiasu lol. scared not enuf light

First photo I place it at sand bed..

Second photo another Zoas place right at the top...Notice any differences in term of more compart or longer polips ?

I use 4x white T5 and 2x actinic, total 6x 54W from GIESEMANN..

seem not much differences whether to place at sand bed or right at the top if lighting is sufficient.

Previously when I use 4x actinic and 2x T5 white, Zoas not fully open. White Light is important.. and Wave seem like can help the skirting getting longer...

post-14768-1233585868.jpg

post-14768-1233586262.jpg

haha u start another zoos qns forum arhz lolx..

e soft corals thrend already start 1 liaoz..

btw some zoas r meant to hv long stalks so dun keep blasting them with light..

n of cus if they nid e light they tend to stretch their stalk..

also hv e prob with polyps falling off...

haebn realli find e solution to this prob yet..

but they normally left new babies behind b4 falling off.. :rolleyes:

• Senior Reefer
haha u start another zoos qns forum arhz lolx..

e soft corals thrend already start 1 liaoz..

btw some zoas r meant to hv long stalks so dun keep blasting them with light..

n of cus if they nid e light they tend to stretch their stalk..

also hv e prob with polyps falling off...

haebn realli find e solution to this prob yet..

but they normally left new babies behind b4 falling off.. :rolleyes:

no one visits the soft coral thread one leh =( and....my zoos i know is those medium to short stalks one. It was like this all along at the LFS. Only when put in my tank, the stalks become long. So i think is my light not good enuf. henry say my light is enough, but i see everyone use MH....mine only 2 white 10k 39W and 2 blue, like very lousy haha xD

• SRC Member
no one visits the soft coral thread one leh =( and....my zoos i know is those medium to short stalks one. It was like this all along at the LFS. Only when put in my tank, the stalks become long. So i think is my light not good enuf. henry say my light is enough, but i see everyone use MH....mine only 2 white 10k 39W and 2 blue, like very lousy haha xD

no need mh although mh brings out the best colors in all our animals in e tank. but u pay for elect bill u know la. plus u need chiller. hahaha.

get a good fixture and t5 lights!

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• Senior Reefer
no need mh although mh brings out the best colors in all our animals in e tank. but u pay for elect bill u know la. plus u need chiller. hahaha.

get a good fixture and t5 lights!

yep. btw, any idea how much a good T5 fixture with good bulbs cost? about 3 feet. One that is reliable and good, with ballast and all the other barang barang...

• SRC Member
yep. btw, any idea how much a good T5 fixture with good bulbs cost? about 3 feet. One that is reliable and good, with ballast and all the other barang barang...

check it up with aquamarin or dr evil... they have local fixtures.

prices should be around 300-400 for a 2 or 4 bulb config with bulbs. i might be wrong, it might be cheaper haha.

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• Senior Reefer
check it up with aquamarin or dr evil... they have local fixtures.

prices should be around 300-400 for a 2 or 4 bulb config with bulbs. i might be wrong, it might be cheaper haha.

300-400. peng san liao haha

• Senior Reefer

will be changing my bulbs to ATI 39W bulbs soon. as adviced by henry. hopefully the new ATI bulbs will work better. even though same wattage, ATI is a good brand unlike my unknown brand of bulb i am using now. i think its blupro....dunno la. some china brand :(