Calcium level so low !!

How come my calcium level so low, even after dumping the entire bottle of Seachem Reef complete ?? ( tested with test kit )

Oh, I also added KH after the Calcium dose .... ( I'm I not suppose to do this ..... )

By the way, tank is new with only Live rocks .

• SRC Member

My 2 cents.

What test kit you are using?

Are you using salt mix water or New Seawater? If using Salt mix water, did you test the new salt mix water? Normally new salt mix water should have a CA level of 400 depending what type of salt used. This might a guage to test your test kit whether giving you accurate reading.

Tested API CA test kit and find it is not accurate. May be the one that I brought is not good.

So far Sailfert CA test kit seem to work for me.

Thanks for your reply jyoon.

I've just found out that I've read the test kit wrongly. As I trusted the acqurium seller the method to read..... :paiseh:

After reading indepth into instructions, and right procedure later , found my calcium is around slightly more than 600 ( since I almost down the entire Calcium bottle )....hope this will not effect my live rocks .

Since I don't have any corals yet, this level should last me some time.

My 2 cents.

What test kit you are using?

Are you using salt mix water or New Seawater? If using Salt mix water, did you test the new salt mix water? Normally new salt mix water should have a CA level of 400 depending what type of salt used. This might a guage to test your test kit whether giving you accurate reading.

Tested API CA test kit and find it is not accurate. May be the one that I brought is not good.

So far Sailfert CA test kit seem to work for me.

Yap I'm hoping to cultivate Coralline algae on my live rocks, and that's one of the main reason why I was watching my calcium level like a hawk ...hehe

Other than maintaining calcium level high, I've added a 150 watts MH. Is there any other thing I need to monitor or add for my coralline algae to grow ?

You can lower the Ca by doing water change. There is nothing much in the LR to consume the Ca, unless you have some coralline algae on it.

• Senior Reefer
Yap I'm hoping to cultivate Coralline algae on my live rocks, and that's one of the main reason why I was watching my calcium level like a hawk ...hehe

Other than maintaining calcium level high, I've added a 150 watts MH. Is there any other thing I need to monitor or add for my coralline algae to grow ?

why u want so much corraline algae? O.o too much will grow all over the tank very nuisence to scrape off haha.

No worries with Corraline algae.. bought a scrapper and sharpen the edge to razor sharp....hehe

Cheap way of adding colour to the tank . Since running in the tank, it looks rather empty.... my wife calls silly !!

why u want so much corraline algae? O.o too much will grow all over the tank very nuisence to scrape off haha.

• SRC Member

I use Purple Up and aragamilk from RD.. for less than 4 months.. look at my result...

Not I stop using Purple Up and dose little aragamilk and the Coraline algae keep growing.. need to slow it down else no room for Coral :rolleyes:

post-14768-1233587302.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi AhLee Bro

I use Purple up too , however no results like yours. What lights you use and how long is the photo period? Mind sharing?

I use 4x white T5 and 2x actinic, total 6x 54W from GIESEMANN..

2x hrs of actinic and 4x hrs of white in the morning... 2x hrs of actinic and 6x hrs of white at night.. need to balance the algae...

• SRC Member
Hi AhLee Bro

I use Purple up too , however no results like yours. What lights you use and how long is the photo period? Mind sharing?

I use 4x white T5 and 2x actinic, total 6x 54W from GIESEMANN..

2x hrs of actinic and 4x hrs of white in the morning... 2x hrs of actinic and 6x hrs of white at night.. need to balance the algae...

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Click on the "browse" at the bottom right of the screen, browse for the picture, then click upload.

Once uploaded, click on the manage current attachment then select the file you uploaded, it will post a link and you can preview it before posting

hope this help

post-15831-1235013210.jpg

Sorry, mine does not have browse button ??

Do have need to maintain certain number of posting before allowing this feature ?

Click on the "browse" at the bottom right of the screen, browse for the picture, then click upload.

Once uploaded, click on the manage current attachment then select the file you uploaded, it will post a link and you can preview it before posting

hope this help

• SRC Member

dont need leh bro, i can post when i come in, you using what type of browser. Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Sorry, mine does not have browse button ??

Do have need to maintain certain number of posting before allowing this feature ?

I'm in IE ( i think it's 8or 9 ) the latest downloaded from IE

What happens when going to Post topic, I could see the browser tabs, and the next second, it disappears ?? strange ??

dont need leh bro, i can post when i come in, you using what type of browser. Internet Explorer or Firefox.