help me something is fishy in my tank

• SRC Member

Hi guys I am back there is this problem which came before chinese new year

I fed my fishes and seahorses with mysis shrimp soaked with garlic guard and that night I notice my big star fish moving its arm and didnt take a look but the next day I woke up, the whole star fish was kinda crushed with small little hard white stones nexts to it most probably frm its body . my other small starfish strunk in size

one of my nudibranch also died. the funny thing was I could not find one of my blue damsel and one of my nudibranch . All I had now in my tank was a blue damsel and seahorses,when I came home from cny I found the only damsel dead lying on the sand bed but never expected that half of the damsel body turned black

what is wrong I have checked my nitrite but it was not the problem

my seahorses are still in the tank.

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Hi guys I am back there is this problem which came before chinese new year

I fed my fishes and seahorses with mysis shrimp soaked with garlic guard and that night I notice my big star fish moving its arm and didnt take a look but the next day I woke up, the whole star fish was kinda crushed with small little hard white stones nexts to it most probably frm its body . my other small starfish strunk in size

one of my nudibranch also died. the funny thing was I could not find one of my blue damsel and one of my nudibranch . All I had now in my tank was a blue damsel and seahorses,when I came home from cny I found the only damsel dead lying on the sand bed but never expected that half of the damsel body turned black

what is wrong I have checked my nitrite but it was not the problem

my seahorses are still in the tank.

U've checked ur nitrite only? Wat bout ur Ammonia, N03(Nitrate), PH and Temp?? How long did you have ur tank?

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Member

every thing I tested was normal I have my tank for about 6 mths

is there something in my tank killing them?

thanks

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member
every thing I tested was normal I have my tank for about 6 mths

is there something in my tank killing them?

thanks

The dead nudibranch or star could have released toxins that killed the rest. Another possible reason is the ammonia/nitrite spike caused by the massive die off of livestock. Do a water change quick.

Also let us know the capacity of the tank, filtration method, other livestocks in the tank or any other information that could give us a better picture.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
the whole star fish was kinda crushed with small little hard white stones nexts to it most probably frm its body

Oh, the starfish wasn't crushed, the white stones could be debris from the dying body. Starfish would appear to be melting when they die, and slowly disintegrate. Most often, this is caused by bad water parameters. The disintegrating flesh will pollute the water especially if it is housed in a tank with small water volume. I kena before, marble star was eaten by bobbit worm and slowly died off... I stupidly left it inside thinking the disintegrating legs will grow back, the chain reaction caused by the rotting flesh nearly crashed my small tank :pinch:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer
Oh, the starfish wasn't crushed, the white stones could be debris from the dying body. Starfish would appear to be melting when they die, and slowly disintegrate. Most often, this is caused by bad water parameters. The disintegrating flesh will pollute the water especially if it is housed in a tank with small water volume. I kena before, marble star was eaten by bobbit worm and slowly died off... I stupidly left it inside thinking the disintegrating legs will grow back, the chain reaction caused by the rotting flesh nearly crashed my small tank :pinch:

get a harlequin shrimp and eat all the starfish :)

• SRC Member
get a harlequin shrimp and eat all the starfish :)

Please never buy LS on impulse. Think of the long term.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

I am having a two feet tank without slump tank

using box filter one top of tank

with a protein skimmer resun chiller set at 25 degrees

7 kg of live rock in it caught a crab out before

now in tank found blue damsel and still have 3 tiger tails sea horses

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member
I am having a two feet tank without slump tank

using box filter one top of tank

with a protein skimmer resun chiller set at 25 degrees

7 kg of live rock in it caught a crab out before

now in tank found blue damsel and still have 3 tiger tails sea horses

Hmm.. If tank has been running for 6 months, water parameters tested normal as claimed, then by right there shouldn't be a case of sudden death across species leh. Unless it's parasite or predator -- if so, then good luck :pinch:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey