Lemon's tank!

yikai

• Senior Reefer

some updates on my harem. it seems that the male filamented flasher has recognised the harem as females of the same species, and is now starting to take action. he now leads the harem and periodically flashes for about 10 mins non-stop to them. Interestingly, he wards off the other flashers with his displaying fins and dazzling colours.

the harem which was casually led by 4 male flashers; ie. filament, carpenter, yellow fin and mccosker, is now being dominated by a single and very flashy filamented flasher.

here's 2 pictures of him displaying to the females

post-15755-1263808825_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1263808832_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

The other 3 males prefer to stay on the outer edge of the harem, like a "perimeter", and observe from there, or do their own fishy business. but once inawhile, they will challenge the alpha male and all 4 males go into a flashing rampage. extremely spectacular sight but cannot capture due to the super fast movements and the uselessness of my P&S camera.

out of the 4 flashers, the filament and the carpenter's is very alpha, while the yellow fin and mccoskers are not as terminal-phased. carpenter's look really sexy with the black tail highlighted by a blue rim. exactly like this photo, but its taken from google.

post-15755-1263809491_thumb.jpg

• SRC Supporter
The other 3 males prefer to stay on the outer edge of the harem, like a "perimeter", and observe from there, or do their own fishy business. but once inawhile, they will challenge the alpha male and all 4 males go into a flashing rampage. extremely spectacular sight but cannot capture due to the super fast movements and the uselessness of my P&S camera.

out of the 4 flashers, the filament and the carpenter's is very alpha, while the yellow fin and mccoskers are not as terminal-phased. carpenter's look really sexy with the black tail highlighted by a blue rim. exactly like this photo, but its taken from google.

:shock::shock::shock: awesome.. going to get one for my tank too.. :P

Awesome, thats why I always say that having a harem of a certain species or genus of fishes will allow one to withness behaviors that were not seen when fishes were kept singly or in pairs. Thats why I have a small harem of flame angels :rolleyes:

Anyway nice flahsing pictures you have capture but I am sure that not the full courtship or flaring colour, as I have withness my fairies(african exquisite fairy) changing in shimmering colours during courtship.

• Senior Reefer
Awesome, thats why I always say that having a harem of a certain species or genus of fishes will allow one to withness behaviors that were not seen when fishes were kept singly or in pairs. Thats why I have a small harem of flame angels :rolleyes:

Anyway nice flahsing pictures you have capture but I am sure that not the full courtship or flaring colour, as I have withness my fairies(african exquisite fairy) changing in shimmering colours during courtship.

yes you are very right. this is nowhere near his optimal yet. have seen my old P.lineopunctatus flash till his max and its gorgeous. have had flame wrasse and exquisite flashing before and the colours are really gorgeous. this is nowhere near yet you are right.

this is my first time trying out a harem of wrasse. only thing im kinda worried about is the females going MIA, since they are quite small. bought 5 of them, but only see 4 most of the times. the 5th one makes her appearance more irregularly compared to the other 4...which is why i'm afriad they will go MIA 1 by 1.

but so far so good, they are grouping together nicely.

• Senior Reefer
err Could you tell me which species of flasher at CF are sold $5?

errm. $5 is a rough estimate... its around there plus minus. paracheilinus carpenteri, filamentosus, angulatus (more uncommon than the rest, seen only once in CF), mccoskeri, flavianalis, lineopunctatus and cyaneus. these are easy to obtain from indo/phillipines so they don't cost much.

the expensive and rare ones are P. attenuatus (seychelles), rubricaudalis (fiji/vanuatu) and octotaenia (red sea). you don't see them often.

sorry for all this scientific jargon but the common names are rubbish for this particular family of wrasses. spend some time to familiarise yourself with these fishes if you are really interested, because they all look somewhat similar to a certain extent, and will make ID-ing very difficult unless you know how to differnetiate them. good luck!

• SRC Member
errm. $5 is a rough estimate... its around there plus minus. paracheilinus carpenteri, filamentosus, angulatus (more uncommon than the rest, seen only once in CF), mccoskeri, flavianalis, lineopunctatus and cyaneus. these are easy to obtain from indo/phillipines so they don't cost much.

the expensive and rare ones are P. attenuatus (seychelles), rubricaudalis (fiji/vanuatu) and octotaenia (red sea). you don't see them often.

sorry for all this scientific jargon but the common names are rubbish for this particular family of wrasses. spend some time to familiarise yourself with these fishes if you are really interested, because they all look somewhat similar to a certain extent, and will make ID-ing very difficult unless you know how to differnetiate them. good luck!

Ty very much i also read that they always jump out of tank? i m hoodless ... do i nid a cover? and if i have a cover, would my tank temp rise if i do not use a chiller?

• Senior Reefer
Ty very much i also read that they always jump out of tank? i m hoodless ... do i nid a cover? and if i have a cover, would my tank temp rise if i do not use a chiller?

you're welcome. yes they are excellent jumpers. and very easy frightened too. so a hood is a definite must unless you want to come home to salted flasher wrasses drying on your floor. a cover made of egg crate is good enough, but if you really want to play safe, you can tie a mesh netting on top of the egg crate. temp will not rise because the egg crates have holes for ventilation.

• SRC Member
you're welcome. yes they are excellent jumpers. and very easy frightened too. so a hood is a definite must unless you want to come home to salted flasher wrasses drying on your floor. a cover made of egg crate is good enough, but if you really want to play safe, you can tie a mesh netting on top of the egg crate. temp will not rise because the egg crates have holes for ventilation.

Good Idea :idea:

• Senior Reefer
Hey Lemon i've been poisoned! i just got myself a small leather toadstool with yellowish with a tinge of greenish polyps. :evil:

welcome to the leather club! now don't buy those common ones anymore! get those super ultra green ones ;) go open eyes big big and hunt

welcome to the leather club! now don't buy those common ones anymore! get those super ultra green ones ;) go open eyes big big and hunt

Huh you mean the one i bought are common ones? Cheh! i thought i bought a gem in the pasar malam area......alright la will open my eyes so big that it'll fall into the tub and ppl think my eyes are some new corals!

• SRC Member
some updates on my harem. it seems that the male filamented flasher has recognised the harem as females of the same species, and is now starting to take action. he now leads the harem and periodically flashes for about 10 mins non-stop to them. Interestingly, he wards off the other flashers with his displaying fins and dazzling colours.

the harem which was casually led by 4 male flashers; ie. filament, carpenter, yellow fin and mccosker, is now being dominated by a single and very flashy filamented flasher.

here's 2 pictures of him displaying to the females

awesome flasher there! sad to say, my filamented has officially gone into hiding.. :( prolly chased off by my Mccosker..

• SRC Member

Just wondering... Won't your leather kill off the SPS? I thought they cannot mix in the same reef tank?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer
Just wondering... Won't your leather kill off the SPS? I thought they cannot mix in the same reef tank?

well that's what they say, but saw a huge gigantic leather coral, maybe 1 feet? in a well known SPS reefer's tank, and his SPS are growing like no tomorrow. maybe if the slime from the leather does not touch the sps its ok? well......no problems so i did not really bother

• Senior Reefer
Huh you mean the one i bought are common ones? Cheh! i thought i bought a gem in the pasar malam area......alright la will open my eyes so big that it'll fall into the tub and ppl think my eyes are some new corals!

not say common, but can be better! :)

awesome flasher there! sad to say, my filamented has officially gone into hiding.. :( prolly chased off by my Mccosker..

its normal lah. i have tried to keep flashers for many times and always MIA. haha. this time im lucky though.

nice! looks like siamese fighting fish.

a more upclass, nicer and 10X FASTER!!! fighting fish :P

• Senior Reefer

not say common, but can be better! :)

its normal lah. i have tried to keep flashers for many times and always MIA. haha. this time im lucky though.

nice! looks like siamese fighting fish.

a more upclass, nicer and 10X FASTER!!! fighting fish :P

• Senior Reefer
woo! v. nice flashing lemon :)

What's your current fish list now? Can update us?

sure! all add up less than 30, but still... quite alot rofl.

male filamented flasher X1

harem of females, X5 each

carpenter's male X1

mccosker male X1

flavianalis male X1

royal gramma X1

yellow wrasse x1

rhomboid wrasse x1

royal pencil wrasse x1

flame angel x1

flame hawk x1

mandarin x1

blue eye anthias female x1

solar wrasse x1

and for the virtually bioloadless

1.5cm clown goby x1

fullmoon goby x1

1 inch allen's damsel

3x apogon cyanosoma cardinals.

neon goby x1

fishes that have been removed/died/MIA

copperband died due to internal parasites/poor handling. never gained any weight, slowly wither away despite feeding well.

peppermint hog - to sell

3x banggai - MIA 1 by 1. too small perhaps..

this weekend feel like trapping the anthias and the 3 remaining cardinals.

• Senior Reefer

wah just tooked a good look at looks like alot of fish ._. good thing most are small....otherwise tank will look very cluttered. haven come to that stage yet :X

waiting for vanuatu shipment.....won't be getting them anytime soon, so play flashers in the meantime lol

• SRC Member