Water volume for 3x2x2

hi bros and sis, im setting up a new 3x2x2 (36x24x26) tank, bt i dunno how much water i will need for my initial setup. My main tank is 3x2x2, sump is 2.5x1.5x1.5, total capacity is around 580 litre, bt i will be using ard 40-45kg of LR...so taking into consideration of the LR, how much water will i nid to get? thks :)

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

HI Bro

You are referring to getting NSW (Nature Salt Water)? You got the volume as 580 L and estimate minus the rock and sand, 520 L should be good enough.

Does your salt water supplier sell and charge you by the litres? Thought they normally only come to your house to top up for at least 1000 L.

HI Bro

You are referring to getting NSW (Nature Salt Water)? You got the volume as 580 L and estimate minus the rock and sand, 520 L should be good enough.

Does your salt water supplier sell and charge you by the litres? Thought they normally only come to your house to top up for at least 1000 L.

Hi bro, they charges by litres...i dun tink im going to get them to delivery to my place...too ex...wil be getting the water and carry dem myself..gonna be super siong :)

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

Hi bro, they charges by litres...i dun tink im going to get them to delivery to my place...too ex...wil be getting the water and carry dem myself..gonna be super siong :)

wah kao! 500+ litres... how are you going to do it yourself???

one jerry can = approx. 25l, you need like... at least 200 jerry can trips??

Dun carry NSW yourself lah, it's just too much... no point hurting yourself in the process.

i think i know this place, can deliver NSW at $120 per trip(if i remember correctly). PM if you need more info.

Or else, buy your own salt, get a long tube to connect to your tap water and mix with a super powerhead and let it settle down... (that's what i did). Of coz, you gotta deal with the phosphate thereafter, but should be no biggy.

Throw in some dead prawn, 2 big pieces, let it cycle... But honestly, it's too close to CNY for such activity now, why don't you do it after CNY.

hope it helps...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

wah kao! 500+ litres... how are you going to do it yourself???

one jerry can = approx. 25l, you need like... at least 200 jerry can trips??

Dun carry NSW yourself lah, it's just too much... no point hurting yourself in the process.

i think i know this place, can deliver NSW at $120 per trip(if i remember correctly). PM if you need more info.

Or else, buy your own salt, get a long tube to connect to your tap water and mix with a super powerhead and let it settle down... (that's what i did). Of coz, you gotta deal with the phosphate thereafter, but should be no biggy.

Throw in some dead prawn, 2 big pieces, let it cycle... But honestly, it's too close to CNY for such activity now, why don't you do it after CNY.

hope it helps...

haha bro, thks a lot...nt 200 jerry cans lar...is ard 20 jerry cans if 1 = 25l lol

i have my own salt...den if i were to use my own salt, its gonna be super ex...cos my plan was to use NSW for the initial cycling stage, den slowly conduct water change using salt mix lor...ya..will be doing after cny..cos the tank will onli arrive after cny oso...

hmm maybe will consider asking dem to deliver ba...if nt oso veri jialat...definitely will haf to make a few trips down, den the petrol prices all factor in...so might as well get them to delivery rite?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

do take into consideration that when u turn off ur pump, water will back flow into ur sump. so do allow some room in the sump for increase in water. =)

thks bro for the advise. will take note of it :)

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

haha bro, thks a lot...nt 200 jerry cans lar...is ard 20 jerry cans if 1 = 25l lol

i have my own salt...den if i were to use my own salt, its gonna be super ex...cos my plan was to use NSW for the initial cycling stage, den slowly conduct water change using salt mix lor...ya..will be doing after cny..cos the tank will onli arrive after cny oso...

hmm maybe will consider asking dem to deliver ba...if nt oso veri jialat...definitely will haf to make a few trips down, den the petrol prices all factor in...so might as well get them to delivery rite?

haha... 200?!? apologies, but im sure i got your attention with that.

A few pointers to start you thinking (some you may have considered b4)...

1) How many jerry cans are you going to buy?

2) How many trips u wish to make? (petrol + time), dun forget u need time to empty the jerry cans before u can re-use them.

3) Where are you going to store the jerry cans after that? (or u can do a cheap sale here at SRC?) haha.

4) I would think a trolley would be very helpful (i dun have one, even though i stay on lift landing floor, still very siong).

5) Most importantly, what if accidently one of the jerry can spill over your car seat/boot? That one is worth more than $120 for sure.

Personally, i feel a mixture would be ideal (i.e. buy 2 jerry cans and the rest use salt mix). That's what i did with my 2.5'x2'x2'.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

i have my own salt...den if i were to use my own salt, its gonna be super ex...

bro i dun agree with this sentence,

if u keeping fowlr then ok, if u keeping corals, the money spent to push up ur Ca and Mg is not gonna make it cheap

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• Senior Reefer

hey. just a noob question. When changing water using NSW, must i like... check the SG with the tank water and the NSW and alter? or just dump inside my tank? coz i always use salt mix... never use nsw b4

hey. just a noob question. When changing water using NSW, must i like... check the SG with the tank water and the NSW and alter? or just dump inside my tank? coz i always use salt mix... never use nsw b4

If you are keeping SPS or other expensive LPS, usually you will not use NSW. Coz you dunno what impurities there are. Marine salt, on the other hand, is pretty much 'controlled'.

If you wish to check NSW, salinity is but just 1 of the many... e.g. Ca, Mg, kH, Phospate etc etc...

I usually just go to 1 source for NSW, and i tested the salinity for the 1st few times, then i realised their water is consistently at 1.024! Amazing.

So nowadays i dun really check.

Another reason why i dont check is because we're only changing approx 10% of the total volume... so unless it's substantially lower, it will not affect the overall salinity.

:)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

bro i dun agree with this sentence,

if u keeping fowlr then ok, if u keeping corals, the money spent to push up ur Ca and Mg is not gonna make it cheap

thks bro...im kipin mixed reef...so definitely nid to boost the Ca n Mg cos im thinking of using nsw for cycling, was told that their NSW is treated (not sure how true is it), den meanwhile boost my cal n mg to veri high to cultivate coraline lor...after tat for 1st n subsequent wc will use salt mix...like tat feasible?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

btw can i add salt mix to the nsw to obtain the salinity level i wan? neber use nsw b4....

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
I once trying to save cost, change water with NSW, then algae bloom!! :eyeblur:

Some expert told me that either u use NSW all the way all salt mix, but dont mis both of them, no good for corals. <_< Is this true?

The NSW may be high in PO4 or NO3 depending on the source. This could have caused your algae bloom.

hmm after all the advises, i guess salt mix is still the best choice...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
If you are keeping SPS or other expensive LPS, usually you will not use NSW. Coz you dunno what impurities there are. Marine salt, on the other hand, is pretty much 'controlled'.

If you wish to check NSW, salinity is but just 1 of the many... e.g. Ca, Mg, kH, Phospate etc etc...

I usually just go to 1 source for NSW, and i tested the salinity for the 1st few times, then i realised their water is consistently at 1.024! Amazing.

So nowadays i dun really check.

Another reason why i dont check is because we're only changing approx 10% of the total volume... so unless it's substantially lower, it will not affect the overall salinity.

:)

brp. but i got those NSW, i check their SG normally 1.019-1.020?

where u get ur supply from. 1.024.care to tell me location. i might switch to buy there.