Nautilus

baudi

g'day all,

this is my first post so be nice. I notice around the traps this weekend that a number of re-sellers have Nautilus currently in stock. An amazing cephalopod and i only see them in stock rarely... I thought it might be helpful for anyone with experience keeping these guys to offer their thoughts so those of us who think about or have purchased one know what to look out for..

I have one, i was worried about how it would handle issues like wave maker and rocks as i noticed that at one store they had emptied all rock and corals out of their showtank to accomodate and display Nauts. At Sentosa aquarium i notice the Nautilus happily bouncing around and hanging onto the rock. So, rock shouldn't be a problem right ?

Anyway, there's the start of the thread. Over to you...

:)

g'day all,

this is my first post so be nice. I notice around the traps this weekend that a number of re-sellers have Nautilus currently in stock. An amazing cephalopod and i only see them in stock rarely... I thought it might be helpful for anyone with experience keeping these guys to offer their thoughts so those of us who think about or have purchased one know what to look out for..

I have one, i was worried about how it would handle issues like wave maker and rocks as i noticed that at one store they had emptied all rock and corals out of their showtank to accomodate and display Nauts. At Sentosa aquarium i notice the Nautilus happily bouncing around and hanging onto the rock. So, rock shouldn't be a problem right ?

Anyway, there's the start of the thread. Over to you...

:)

Hi there,

1st n foremost it needs a pretty lower temp than corals like that of the imported Maine lobsters. They do well on tiny squids (chopped or whole) offered via a satay stick as well as crabs n prererably fresh or live prawns. In the tank they tend to get stuck among the display rocks hence a bare tank save for a central column is ideal. N be prepared to hear them plonking against the glass sides (hopefully ur tank's glass is thick enough or else.....).

Most times they just hang around near the surface n actinic lighting is the way to go.

Don't keep them with fish or inverts.

Regards,

Finbir.

• Senior Reefer

never see in the trade before. But what i heard is that they prefer cooler water and dimly lit waters. Hmm.... is it like rare or endangered? lol. Sentosa have alot. They very blur one. swim swim will knock everything, so if u want rockwork, make sure its firm. But prefer not to put rocks bah, give them more swimming space

are they really allowed to keep as pets?

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

go to pasir ris farm and you might still be able to see .........

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Not a expert but from my knowledge.. They need cool water and dimly lit tank... So actinic or moonlight will do... A high tank is preferred.. They need space to float around... Normal hobbyist will not have enough space to have a big tank just for them.. So just leave them to the sea and public aquarium... And also the water pressure is different and they might not survive long in captivity or even in public aquarium..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Saw a number of this beautiful creatures on display in an LFS in Pasir Ris. Sadly, Also saw a number of empty shells on display. seems like the survival rate is near zero. They are from the deep and comes to reef level to feed at night. I don't think they belong to the home aquarium. Leave them alone. Maybe endangered too.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 4 weeks later...

Nautilus is still going. what 2 or 3 weeks on. certainly from before CNY to now. But, I dont think he is too happy :( and oddly, I had to relocate my chocolate chip starfish down to the sump (solitary confinement) as it was going after the nautilus, basically trying to eat its face off. I caught it just in time

Nautilus is still going. what 2 or 3 weeks on. certainly from before CNY to now. But, I dont think he is too happy :( and oddly, I had to relocate my chocolate chip starfish down to the sump (solitary confinement) as it was going after the nautilus, basically trying to eat its face off. I caught it just in time

saw the nautilus at pacific reef.... 2nd time i seen it at the shop... sad to say also noticed alot of empty shells at right side of their counter.... asked and was told that many do not survive the trip due to their sensitive requirements.

pretty exotic crustacean to keep i guess but really needs cold water!! 23-25 for it to be healthly.. plus cannot keep any fish that is equal or smaller in size.. its like seahorse.. need special conditions...

hows yours? is it eating from satay sticks?? how big is your tank btw?

• Senior Reefer
saw the nautilus at pacific reef.... 2nd time i seen it at the shop... sad to say also noticed alot of empty shells at right side of their counter.... asked and was told that many do not survive the trip due to their sensitive requirements.

pretty exotic crustacean to keep i guess but really needs cold water!! 23-25 for it to be healthly.. plus cannot keep any fish that is equal or smaller in size.. its like seahorse.. need special conditions...

i dun think a nautilus is a crustacean? O.o most probably a cephalopod. haha do correct me if im wrong.

• SRC Member
i dun think a nautilus is a crustacean? O.o most probably a cephalopod. haha do correct me if im wrong.

Nautili are cephalopods. cousins of octopi and cuttlefishes.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hi

my tank is about 1,200 liters. 6 ft x 3ft, 2 & a half feet. I have my chiller set to its bare minium which is 24 but because of the noise the chiller only runs about 15 hrs a day (on and off as rqd0 so the tank is averaging about 25.5 degree's. Too warm i fear for nautilus. Very inactive during the day when lights are on - tends to hide in a dark corner, more active at night when moonlights active and early morning - no tank lights.

I have been alternating foods - bits of prawn and (easier) cooked white bait :) (cold storage $2 a packet) and all the fish like it lol, especially the unicorn fish. No satay sticks. I let it hand feed and it is quite content too - those weird tentacle things are a bit sticky. it only eats a little and generally i can only get it to feed about once every 10 days.

Thanks for the interest

baudi

Nautilus are nocturnal, undergoing vertical diurnal migration in the wild. In the day the rest on the seafloor to escape predators and during the night they rise up to the shallows to feed. They handle changes in pressure very readily due to the unique structure of their spiralled shell. To view them at night, install some lights with infra-red spectrum. These lights should not be visible to the animal. Such bulbs are commonly used to observe nocturnal reptiles/amphibians.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hi

my tank is about 1,200 liters. 6 ft x 3ft, 2 & a half feet. I have my chiller set to its bare minium which is 24 but because of the noise the chiller only runs about 15 hrs a day (on and off as rqd0 so the tank is averaging about 25.5 degree's. Too warm i fear for nautilus. Very inactive during the day when lights are on - tends to hide in a dark corner, more active at night when moonlights active and early morning - no tank lights.

I have been alternating foods - bits of prawn and (easier) cooked white bait :) (cold storage $2 a packet) and all the fish like it lol, especially the unicorn fish. No satay sticks. I let it hand feed and it is quite content too - those weird tentacle things are a bit sticky. it only eats a little and generally i can only get it to feed about once every 10 days.

Thanks for the interest

baudi

how long have u been keeping the nautilus?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Nautilus are nocturnal, undergoing vertical diurnal migration in the wild. In the day the rest on the seafloor to escape predators and during the night they rise up to the shallows to feed. They handle changes in pressure very readily due to the unique structure of their spiralled shell. To view them at night, install some lights with infra-red spectrum. These lights should not be visible to the animal. Such bulbs are commonly used to observe nocturnal reptiles/amphibians.

4 weeks