Secret of reducing aggression

Just want to share my experience, i find that if you first keep your new fish in a beta box within the main tank, it will greatly reduce any aggression when it is release to the main tank. The new fish must be in the beta box for at least 3weeks to 1month. When the other fish get use to seeing the new fish, they will less likely attack it later. Also, without having to fight for food, the chances of survival is higher. I manage to introduce several angels and tangs successfully this way.

The key to this hobby is patience.

Below is a picture of it.

post-2571-1230953917.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Hmmm..... It does seem ideal, But like reddevil said, if the fish is too big, it might get stressed. I have tried finding very large betta boxes, but cant. They seem to only come in some standard sizes. How to add in lets say, a fully grown emperor angel? O.o

Maybe i can try this. i want to add another dwarf angel to my current tank. I heard more than one dwarf angel = fight right? Currently have one coral beauty. Maybe i will try this method =)

• SRC Member

i got a similar method that also works

put the new fish into the betta box, u will start to see which is the fish that will want to challenge the new fish

depending on what type of betta box u have ,

mine has side sliding doors , so i open the door and the agressor will swim in then tadah, new fish goes into tank, agressor stuck in betta box for 2 days, after that once u release the agressor it will no longer be agressive

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• Senior Reefer
i got a similar method that also works

put the new fish into the betta box, u will start to see which is the fish that will want to challenge the new fish

depending on what type of betta box u have ,

mine has side sliding doors , so i open the door and the agressor will swim in then tadah, new fish goes into tank, agressor stuck in betta box for 2 days, after that once u release the agressor it will no longer be agressive

OO cool method. Sad, my betta box is those with a lid on the top...-.-

• SRC Member

Plan carefully b4 u setup ur tank, best to introduce smaller fishes in the first stage then come to the biger one... If is a fowlr setup then jus off ur lighting for a few days when u introduce new fishes, this will slow down their activities n gives new fishes less exposure to other fishes... Well, u may still c some agression here n there, don't worries, jus away fr ur tank or else u will kanna distress also. :upsidedown: fishes r very smart like man also, they know how to gain for survival, they know when to test on u n when they can take advantage to swim further... :rolleyes: of course, man should know them well n help them to gain higher chance of survival. fish-talk! :idea: Jus sharing my 2cents.

• SRC Member

Hi All Bro

As I am also keeping FOWLR, would like to share my experience as follow:

1. I do quarantine my new fishes for at least a month before introduce to my main tank. This is to ensure that the new fish is eating and also well fed before going into the "jungle". The new fish may not be able to getr food for a couple of days as it will be hiding from the old fishes.

2. I always keep the new fish in a betta box before introducing like what shaohui75 bro mentioned. As for bigger fishes, you will need to build custom betta box. I ever build a so call betta box using "egg" crate that is 12" (L) * " 8" (W) and 24" (H) for letting go my purple tang.

3. I always let go the new fish in the middle of the night when all other old fishes are "alseep". This will give the new fish a chance to get familiar with the tank.

So far, this works for me.

Thanks for dachkie bro sharing this method. Will try out for my Multi-color angel which is the next inline to be place in the main tank.

Hi LemonLemon Bro

You can have more than 1 dwarf angel in one tank. Just have be careful which to introduce first. Like Argi Angel should be the last dwarf angel to go it. I might need to catch my Argi before letting my Multi-color into the main tank :-).

• Senior Reefer
Hi All Bro

As I am also keeping FOWLR, would like to share my experience as follow:

1. I do quarantine my new fishes for at least a month before introduce to my main tank. This is to ensure that the new fish is eating and also well fed before going into the "jungle". The new fish may not be able to getr food for a couple of days as it will be hiding from the old fishes.

2. I always keep the new fish in a betta box before introducing like what shaohui75 bro mentioned. As for bigger fishes, you will need to build custom betta box. I ever build a so call betta box using "egg" crate that is 12" (L) * " 8" (W) and 24" (H) for letting go my purple tang.

3. I always let go the new fish in the middle of the night when all other old fishes are "alseep". This will give the new fish a chance to get familiar with the tank.

So far, this works for me.

Thanks for dachkie bro sharing this method. Will try out for my Multi-color angel which is the next inline to be place in the main tank.

Hi LemonLemon Bro

You can have more than 1 dwarf angel in one tank. Just have be careful which to introduce first. Like Argi Angel should be the last dwarf angel to go it. I might need to catch my Argi before letting my Multi-color into the main tank :-).

Hi, my tank currently got one coral beauty already. How? still can add more dwarfs? But my tank currently maxed stocked liao. Might need to wait for one fish to die, or remove first haha. =x I'm hoping my yellow wrasse dies >.< LOL.... eh im dam bad..

• SRC Member

coral beauty can be agressive, it was attacking my new chevron tang, similar colours maybe so he thought its the same species? (thought fishes are colour blind)

anyway it was the coral beauty that kena my method, and ever since he has been guai,

i added another flame angel last nite with no issues

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

I like the sliding door method... :idea: :idea: :idea:

Its a good way of trapping fishes also.. :)

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• Senior Reefer
I like the sliding door method... :idea: :idea: :idea:

Its a good way of trapping fishes also.. :)

MM yes. flame angel is a very nice dwarf. But buy 1 flame angel can buy 3 coral beauty lols..... See how first bah. my tank now quite full

If you are afraid that the fish will be stress out with a small Betta box, build your own box. If you see my picture carefully, mine was made out of a used plastic tank (secure using suction and magnetic cleaner) with drill holes. You can use any large transparent plastic container to DIY.

Another advantage of this method i find is that it train your new fish to recognise food (i only feed my fish pellet and flake). New fish tend to hide too much resulting in death due to hunger. However, in a betta box, once you feed them, they are expose to the food all the time. My new fish usually start eating on the first few days, giving it enough energy to fight whatever stress/disease it might have.

• Senior Reefer
If you are afraid that the fish will be stress out with a small Betta box, build your own box. If you see my picture carefully, mine was made out of a used plastic tank (secure using suction and magnetic cleaner) with drill holes. You can use any large transparent plastic container to DIY.

Another advantage of this method i find is that it train your new fish to recognise food (i only feed my fish pellet and flake). New fish tend to hide too much resulting in death due to hunger. However, in a betta box, once you feed them, they are expose to the food all the time. My new fish usually start eating on the first few days, giving it enough energy to fight whatever stress/disease it might have.

I will try to DIY a box, but i dun have a drill to drill holes. What else can i use to make holes?

I will try to DIY a box, but i dun have a drill to drill holes. What else can i use to make holes?

For me, i use a electric drill(try to borrow one because it will be easier). Depending on what kind of box you have, if the plastic is not too tough, you can just use a pair of scissor. What some people do is to heat up a piece of metal like a paper clip and use it to melt the plastic (be careful because it can be dangerous with the heat).

• 4 weeks later...