Roidan's Reef (I)

roidan

like i said bro blenny...

aquaC use high flow maximum tank turnover rate method of skimming...HnS use low flow maximum contact time method

"The overall flow-thru rate and quality of contact time are not as clear cut as the previous two measures. Some have reported that high flow-thru rates (several hundred gallons per hour) yield the best results. Others argue that a slow, leisurely flow-thru rate facilitates the best skimming. Most likely, both schools of thought are correct in their own way. The actual chemistry behind the mechanism of protein skimming tells us that, in order to remove the maximum amount of waste possible per bubble, we want a very, very slow flow-thru rate. This makes perfect sense… If the flow-thru rate is slow, each individual air bubble can react with the water for a longer period of time. Air bubbles, after all, don't become saturated with proteins immediately. Research suggests, in fact, that they continue to become coated with organic compounds for up to 12 minutes (Harker).

The problem, and this is why the "high flow-thru rate" school of thought is also partially correct, is that aquariums are closed systems which need to be "cleaned" at an efficient rate of speed. Imagine holding a vacuum cleaner over the same section of carpet for ten straight years. Sure, that little square of shag might be extremely clean once you are done, but what about the rest of the house?? Our goal is not to maximize the amount of protein removed per bubble, but to maximize the amount of protein removed per unit time. An efficient protein skimmer, then, is one which removes the largest amount of waste in the shortest time possible. High flow thru-rates are beneficial because they allow large amounts of the aquarium water to be processed rapidly. Although less protein is removed per bubble (because the air and water are not being allowed to react for very long), it is possible to treat the entire tank volume in a short amount of time. There is probably a middle ground which yields the best results. It is important to note that both high and low flow-thru rates can and have been used effectively, and neither method is definitely better than the other. Our own research with different flow rates and air-injection methods suggest that for larger tanks (100+ gallons), higher flow-thru rates are better suited than slower ones. This might be due to the added benefit which high flow-thru rates provide; more thoroughly oxygenated water. The real answer is far from clear, however. "

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

now have to think what pump to use...

if 1000litre/hour is recommended...maybe eheim 1250 can handle..but i will use it external with hose or piping to the room behind and send water back with another pipe....so all these pipe losses may be significant...maybe try with 1260 and put in a gate valve...

really dilemma here...

Yup! Found one and is charging 200 for 2 holes 4 inch diameter. They say tat it will look like drilling on a piece of wood. nicely rounded.

wow....although they using specialized equipment...

200 bucks seem quite easy money hor...for that kinda time spent?

got tell them to pay you if they do wrongly or not..hehe

Roi I thought that the HnS skimmer you bought came with their aquabee pump with the needle wheel?

bro blenny:

because it is an outsump model...the aquabee is the recirculation pump taking in water from one part of the chamber and chop the water and then output to another part of the chamber....another pump is needed to push water through the skimmer itself..

insump models i believe just use that aquabee pump to draw water ...not too sure? bro deepblue can enlighten us?

They say that they are using some Boring type of equipment....... Imean whole boring and not the sian type he he he h

ok lah...at least pay 200 for professionally done work much better than those that leave disastrous results...somemore it affects your external facade in some way..better do properly :)

bro blenny:

because it is an outsump model...the aquabee is the recirculation pump taking in water from one part of the chamber and chop the water and then output to another part of the chamber....another pump is needed to push water through the skimmer itself..

insump models i believe just use that aquabee pump to draw water ...not too sure? bro deepblue can enlighten us?

yup...you need to get a pump(small one will do) to 'push' water into the chamber, the auabee will draw the water from the chamber to generate those vilent tiny little bubbles, that will skim out most of the :sick: . Then water will flow out of the chamber, bro, the 850L size pipe to extend the outlet for water to flow out is veri short...need to buy extension...

if cannot get from local wu-jin-dian, can buy them from SL....but dun buy the original...veri ex...boss Sam knows what you are talking about...

It sounds like how the shorty will run when I set it up. There is one pump provided with a needle wheel to chop up the air running at 3500 litres and require another pump (not provided) to feed it with water at around 2000 to 3000 l/h

yeah..but your shorty flow ratings are all higher than the H&S...maybe it will meet the middle ground as mentioned in the skimming paragraph....

i have seen some performance of the shorty5000 in the net....thumbs up :)

yup...you need to get a pump(small one will do) to 'push' water into the chamber, the auabee will draw the water from the chamber to generate those vilent tiny little bubbles, that will skim out most of the :sick: . Then water will flow out of the chamber, bro, the 850L size pipe to extend the outlet for water to flow out is veri short...need to buy extension...

if cannot get from local wu-jin-dian, can buy them from SL....but dun buy the original...veri ex...boss Sam knows what you are talking about...

yeah...i think i should have no problems with the piping...i more concerned with the pump..maybe take the eheim 1250 from my uv to test first...if strong enough to pump to the room behind at ground level minimal head loss...then i buy another 1250....

the outlet uses 40mm piping which actually i use before in my papa durso pipe last time....just need a 40 to 40mm adapter to mate the 2 pipes and then a final reducer to 25mm pipe which will send water all the way back to the sump..

i dun want to run a 40mm pipe along the whole way..damn big and hard to hide...at least 25mm...i can squeeze 3 such pipes in a large air con trunking..hehe

anyway, here's the aquabee..

actually wanted to dismantle the pump to see the needlewheel..but dare not..coz all the joints seem quite tight....

only $300 plus plus per pump...loose change to you :eyebrow::whistle:eyebrow:

• SRC Member

eh bro..

u have the same one mah...why must see mine in action? can see yours wat....somemore can smell the skimmate everyday...hehehe

:P the skimmer that i have just bought togather with u are for my future new tank... :yeah::yeah:

so still need to wait for a month or two to see it in action :pinch: