Roidan's Reef (I)

roidan

yeah boy...i figured about the hair algae problem...somehow i do not think they spread by spores right?

must be some stray strands get into the main system and then start the whole chain of hair algae takeover hor....

hmmm...from you experience...i better keep to pruning them out...lol..

u know ah..i last time keep taking out the whole lot of macro algae and then pull out the hair algae...alot of work man....hehehe

but i cover my pumps with fine netting bags as extra measure..

somehow i really think they don't spread by spores...but in any case....will take heed from your experience Boss, and i hope i dun need to go through the painful process like you did...

heng ah...got you to appear in my thread at this point in time before things go awry .... :lol:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh... it started off as a tiny patch of GHA here.. and then there... and then there... and there... and there... and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...and there...

and there...

and there...

and there...and there...and there...

and there...

You get the idea now? :lol:

Wow... how's that for spam? ;)

aiyo....

i genna there and there and there and there for quite some time liao...but all in the sump....

no wonder the tangs all fat fat...they maybe eating the tiny shoots that i failed to see in the main tank... :blink:

i better get rid of those completely in the sump before my tangs cannot handle the overload man..... :lol:

will be busy these few days man....who you gonna call...HAIRBUSTERS... :lol:

hehe...after hearing AT's advice....i better reduce the *hair algae* before its growth rate exceeds the eating rate of the tangs...hehe

enlisted my foreign talent and today...yeepee...much less...much less...

will commission my foreign talent to prune every week or every day if necessary to prevent a hair algae disaster.....

but then again...this strand kind of algae doesnt seem like some hair algae i see in the net....the texture seems quite rough especially when they matt together...like a 3M green scrub sponge the rough side like that....

hmm..maybe its another kind of algae..hehe..but better be safe than sorry lah :)

now very little liao..mainly my sea lettuce and gracilia :)

post-34-1076900226.jpg

• SRC Member

:lol: i know many will advise go for the max la here and there...

but what i want to see if real result...

if your 1/2 hp can power a 6ft why not a 5ft...

somemore i will be the same as you running my temp at 27-28 only.. plus got fan to suppot..

:) can power is can power..but i never go notice how long the chiller goes running you know...but definitely not all the time..haha

like bro tanggy once said....a higher horsepower may cool down the tank faster but in the short cooler time..it consumed hell lot of electricity....

and lower horsepower may cool down the tank slower...but overall...the longer running time still may or may not consume less electricity...

so it's a balance lor....

but then again...other bros will say...a bigger horsepower chiller will cool down the tank faster allowing less fluctuations in temperature......

so...up to you

lolz... if there is a big fluctuation in temp..

then how come your one doing pretty fine...

somemore i dont think u use the chiller to cool your ft alone right...

u use it to cool the 2ft clam tank too..

so total.. wow 8ft tank...

yeah lor....

but i set at 27 degrees only mah...so less prone to heating up fast since the differential to environment is less compared to setting at 25degrees or 26 degrees...and my tank is in a shady place....no direct sun at all....but yet the ventilation quite good..

well....or maybe coz of the large volume of water...it also takes a lot of time to change the temperature of the water lor..whether up or down....so no choice the change will be gradual lor...hehe...if only a small pail of water volume..sure change temperature very fast right? maybe lor...hehe

yup nowaday for these few month.. snegkeng side very windy at nite.. hehehe is continue like that best...

ok thanx alot.. in this case i will go for 1/2hp chiller.. can save more for other things...

you better ask around more....

dun just use mine as a conclusive guide...

wait maybe coz my fengshui good for the chiller thats why can sustain...hehee :lol:

he want to get 1hp cause he is planning to go for 2 or 3 x 400w MH...

1/2hp confirm out of question for him one..

that's true...i am happy with my 150 watters and current mixed reef.....not intending to try for the holy grail of sps bigtime....

in this way, i can feed more to my anthias and tangs.....and keep the LPS happy.....hehehe...

if go SPS big time...then all those heavy feeding regiment have to slow down alot liao :lol:

I feel so sorry for the person that is going to clean this skimmate :P

The dryer skimmate the better right? At least for me cos sometimes I go for long overseas trip (>2 weeks) and if the skimmate too wet then there is a real danger of skimmate overflow.

These super thick types can be dissolved in hot water easily I think so cleaning should not be too difficult/troublesome.

I feel so sorry for the person that is going to clean this skimmate :P

The dryer skimmate the better right? At least for me cos sometimes I go for long overseas trip (>2 weeks) and if the skimmate too wet then there is a real danger of skimmate overflow.

These super thick types can be dissolved in hot water easily I think so cleaning should not be too difficult/troublesome.

then you gotta pity me lor..hehehe

but somehow i have this liking for cleaning all these skimmate...have a sense of happiness...hehehe...knowing so much junk out of the system :)