Roidan's Reef (I)

roidan

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weileong, your tank is still relatively new so it'll take a few more months before it breaks through the new tank syndrome phase. But you're right, if resources permit, you can see if you can overdrive the EV.

I'm quite keen to hear from AquaC, but I can pretty much guess their reply :)

All it matters is that it works, and the system and its inhabitants are happy, when I have the time and money (as you Roidan :D ), I'll plore over some literature and try to get more out of the skimmer.

Here something to think about: We try to duplicate the reef scene by creating an artificial environment, so technically we should let biological filtration do most of the work.

Plugging in technologically advanced bubble fractionisation methods to effectively removes the waste products will remove the source where the biological filtration begins.

That being the case meant that the biological system may not / or takes longer to establish itself.

Removing a skimmer from a well skimmed heavily stocked tank with less than adequate biological filtration would spell disaster.

Case to point: Skimmer should be used as a fail safe and not relied upon to do majority of the work.

yeah man....

no wonder my refugium kept growing and growing so fast...because the skimmer did not do much of the work at all..now i know.....all the nitrates got taken up by the macro algae instead of being stopped at the skimming stage...

all due to the 4750 litres/hr pump that only produce 500litres/hr at 6ft :blink:

and i end up wiping the foam tower of skimmate more than the cup....should have suspected the pump wasnt strong enough to drive the foam all the way up consistently...

means unintentionally i have been relying on refugium for nitrate export before stopping them much much earlier at the skimming stage when all the stuff were still dissolved organics..

geeee <_<

I would close the Gate Valve in minute adjustments till the foam rises faster before the gunk accumulates at the neck.

But its fine really, all other things being constant, you have a successful refugium - macroalgae nutrient export. Skimming less does not mean all bad as long as NO3 uptake is constant.

It just means your system is establishing well.

I would close the Gate Valve in minute adjustments till the foam rises faster before the gunk accumulates at the neck.

But its fine really, all other things being constant, you have a successful refugium - macroalgae nutrient export. Skimming less does not mean all bad as long as NO3 uptake is constant.

It just means your system is establishing well.

thats true...now it all adds up....

thanks for your detailed advice and suggestions, bro rumour....but nonetheless, if both the H&S and AquaC are operating efficiently..then i can afford to feed the livestock more and make them fatter and yet sustain good water parameters....

in any case that both skimmers fail to work together to solve my heavy feeding...i can fall back on my messy refugium which has been the silent underated perfomer in my system so far...

if i can get nitrate value like the one below without the aquaC performing at full efficiency...i really look forward to heavy feeding with 2 skimmers and the refugium as back up :)

hehee...yahhh...the fishes will get more to eat and grow fatter...hehe

post-34-1076605260.jpg

bro, not really broken in yet lah....mine H&S was running skimmate like that for 2 days..then its black kopi-o all the way....

or

maybe your Aqua-C has already done a great job...so no need it...hmmm....my birthday ard the corner in a couple months time :rolleyes:

bro, not really broken in yet lah....mine H&S was running skimmate like that for 2 days..then its black kopi-o all the way....

or

maybe your Aqua-C has already done a great job...so no need it...hmmm....my birthday ard the corner in a couple months time :rolleyes:

havent ah...i tot when nothing at all to skim then means still breaking in....coz of the manufacturering process leaving some residue or slight oil on the chamber..hehe

so i tot now skim tea colour means broken in liao...but havent adjust for dry foam yet..hehehe...

hehe..today i getting stronger pump for the ev240...to provide a fair fight between the 2.....

birthday ah.....i sing you a birthday song lor...

"la la la la la la..sing a happy song.....

la la la la la la singing all day long" :lol:

i sing you a birthday song lor...

la la la la la la singing all day long" :lol:

la la la la la la swop my skimmer with you....

la la la la la la....." :lol:

your skimmer is a outsump kind, might want to double check before dumpind it in.....dun risk your exp. toy ;)

actually no difference to me lor...

coz the insump using 1 pump to do the needlewheel act and also draw water....

the outsump use 2 pumps to do the same thing...

and currently i just move watever stuff that has been connected into the sump lor..not going to do any modifications....it's just a matter of where i place it lor.....

i think the outsump refers more to the way the extra pump is needed to draw water into the skimmer since it can be located further from the sump...whereas the insump die die must be in the sump otherwise cannot draw water into it..heheh

as long as another pump is needed for water provision....called outsump liao i guess...hehehe

ok lah bro...hope u get well fast

now the aquaC...

really works like what it should be now...

as you can see....even the bottom of the foam tower shows no sign of water level and yet all the foam goes all the way up and i am getting very wet skimmate...will adjust the gate valve to get dryer skimmate soon...

but at least now it is really foaming CONSISTENTLY good... :lol:

post-34-1076668411.jpg

• SRC Member

Friend,

I can see the bubbles are not fine enough.re u closing up the ait tube?

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

To the benefit of all aquaC ev240 users...the pond pump i am using now is Mebner pump...made in germany....uses 90 watts for a full 6000litres/hr at zero head..

but here is wat that matters most...

performance at 6ft head pressure which is 1.8288m high...

it produces 3000l/hr at 2m height..

that is 792.516 gallons/hr at 2m..

which means it will break 800gallons/hr easily at 1.8288m high..

yeepeee..... :lol:

Friend,

I can see the bubbles are not fine enough.re u closing up the ait tube?

the super fine bubbles are at the bottom of the chamber of the H&S...coz as they rise higher ...they get bigger and bigger and finally burst..hehe..

will show you how fine the H&S bubbles are actually ....i go take now....