How to nurse back poor shape zoa colony?

curahee

I recently bought a colony of zoa, in a poor shape imo as 1/4 of the polyp nv open and some shrink n size and some dislodge from the LR, may i know how to bring them back to good shape again? Nv choose properly that time in farm and get a poor shape colony, hoping that i can nurse them back, now in my tank for 1 week already. Thanks!

• SRC Member

check for parasites that may be disturbing the zoas..

frag off dislodged pieces using penknife to cut the mat of the zoas, and glue these pieces onto seperate rocks to let them grow..

if not, give the colony enough flow and lighting, and monitor the health of the closed polyps.. if the 'disease' seem to be spreading, and more polyps aren't opening, frag off the healthy ones and salvage at least a portion of it..

just my opinion, hope that helps.. :)

check for parasites that may be disturbing the zoas..

frag off dislodged pieces using penknife to cut the mat of the zoas, and glue these pieces onto seperate rocks to let them grow..

if not, give the colony enough flow and lighting, and monitor the health of the closed polyps.. if the 'disease' seem to be spreading, and more polyps aren't opening, frag off the healthy ones and salvage at least a portion of it..

just my opinion, hope that helps.. :)

Thanks a lot! Very helpful info :upsidedown:

Recently i notice there r some white slug like creature crawling around my zoa which result in most of the colony closing due to these pests, despite i try to remove them, after a few days, new one appear and disturb my zoa. I even dip the zoa in fresh water and put it under running water to remove these pest, but still they will come back and distrub them after a few days of "peace", i wonder what is these nuisance creature? How to get rid of them effectively? Thanks! They seems to prefer zoa den other soft coral in my tank

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Recently i notice there r some white slug like creature crawling around my zoa which result in most of the colony closing due to these pests, despite i try to remove them, after a few days, new one appear and disturb my zoa. I even dip the zoa in fresh water and put it under running water to remove these pest, but still they will come back and distrub them after a few days of "peace", i wonder what is these nuisance creature? How to get rid of them effectively? Thanks! They seems to prefer zoa den other soft coral in my tank

Oh these white slugs huh...i gana also, eventually i gave up on zoa.

I think there are some fishes that feed on these.

Dip in fresh water not much use...maybe some senior reefers here should have some experience.

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer

thoe white "slugs" i think are nudibranchs. The reason why they they dun bother ur other corals, only zoas, because they are predatory against zoanthids only. AKA obligate feeders. Dipping in freshwater can kill them, but those hide very deep inside the zoa colony maybe more protected... U could try dipping in lugols solution?