Firestarter's 2ft Standard tank

Firestarter

• SRC Member
Bro, mine is very silent. You might wanna give it a thorough check to see if anything is loose that is causing the noise? Put a bit of lubricant (WD40 works well), but be careful not to let it drip into the tank. Computer fans won't be of much help, been there, done that, bought the T-shirt...

Ok I will try putting some lubricant. Thanks for the info, been asking around but no one seems to be using profantec fans. May I know how much you bought them for? Can PM me if inconvenient.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
I bought this some time back, so I can't really remember how much it was. Prolly slightly more than 2 red notes?

Ok thanks. Problem is I don't seem to find them selling it anymore. Maybe I never open my eyes again.

I recall once dropping the whole fan into the tank while it was running. That was more than a year ago but it still works fine. Kenna electrocuted before a couple of times. So temporary just use this first, looking for a new one. I always thought it was supposed to be this noisy. May I know whats the lowest temp it can bring your tank down until?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

It was around 26 to 28oC, no ventilation with lights on. Pretty effective for a small tank, IMO, but the evaporation is a killer. Since its in your bedroom, noise is a valid factor to consider. Could have started rusting inside after the dip.

• SRC Member
It was around 26 to 28oC, no ventilation with lights on. Pretty effective for a small tank, IMO, but the evaporation is a killer. Since its in your bedroom, noise is a valid factor to consider. Could have started rusting inside after the dip.

Yes, I'm experiencing about 1L of evaporation a day. Keeping my tank around 26-27'C with lights on currently.

The tank temp can plummet from 28'C to 25'C in less than an hour, have to always switch the fan on and off manually. I think the low temp is due to me having to run only my seio and skimmer pump. Thanks peacemaker on the info that you've provided.

• SRC Member
good DIY skills! are you considering any substrate?

No, this is a pure BB tank. Yeah I know it looks ugly and unnatural but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Here's some points why I choose BB than sandbed.

1. No hassle of washing the sand before putting into the tank

2. Don't have to worry about cyano algae

3. No dirty sandbed

4. No sandstorms

5. Diatoms can be kept under control

I've tried sandbed before, and after trying BB, I never want to go back to using substrate again. ;)

Hi Bro,

It was good to read thru your entire tank set-up, it was an demonstration of your DIY skills, plan and also your commitment.

I have only 1 comment for you - Weipro 2011 does best with 2000l/hr flow and thus using the Atman 104 was the right decision from the start. That's why you experience a drop in the skimmer performance when you change to Atman 304 which is only 800l/hr. I believe your Atman 104 was noisy due to the fact that the pump have not been used after your last decomm. I suggest you revert to a pump that provides around 2000l/hr as your skimmer pump.

HTH ;-)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

hey bro u can try aquastar at yishun u u wanna change ur fans...

erm.. profantec is e age of senior reefers brand? lolx... :rolleyes:

i din really like being label senior reefer lolx..

chiller price r cheaper nowadays plus many 2nd hand chillers also..

mayb u wanna consider one...

e fluctuation in evaporation rate vs chiller may cause some diff in standard of corals kept..

e fluctuation in evaporation rate vs chiller may cause some diff in standard of corals kept..

ya, i got my fan at aquastar also, brand is dymax... price reasonable... most important, silent.....

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

It was good to read thru your entire tank set-up, it was an demonstration of your DIY skills, plan and also your commitment.

I have only 1 comment for you - Weipro 2011 does best with 2000l/hr flow and thus using the Atman 104 was the right decision from the start. That's why you experience a drop in the skimmer performance when you change to Atman 304 which is only 800l/hr. I believe your Atman 104 was noisy due to the fact that the pump have not been used after your last decomm. I suggest you revert to a pump that provides around 2000l/hr as your skimmer pump.

HTH ;-)

Hi gouldian, I do agree with you that the best combination for Weipro 2011 is the Atman 104 pump. Wanted to get that but out of stock. Anyway the Atman 104 produces alot of heat. Before I switched to the Atman 304, my temp was 30 to 31'C. Now its 28'C without fan.

I read that Atman 104 is 1800l/hr, and the Atman 304 is 1200l/hr. My skimmer is skimming only after I feed, so I think its still acceptable considering that I only have corals and a couple of fish.

• SRC Member

Seems funny, but talking about cooling fans, I bought one today at Pasir Ris farm. The brand is Jebo and it cost $12.

Felt kinda angry as the fan doesn't totally resemble the pic on the box, and its just like a PC fan connected to a transformer.

post-13947-1233768684.jpg

• SRC Member

The holders really cannot make it. Anyway I prefer the fan to be blowing directly face down on the surface.

So DIY a couple of holders using plastic brackets.

BUT THE FAN IS NOISY. How come all my fans are noisy. :angry: :angry: :angry:

post-13947-1233769097.jpg

so sorry to hear tht bro

mayb u shld hv check 1st b4 buying anyway a range for a gd fan shld b ard $20-30+

i got a fan i super diy e holder with 4 sticks..

got chance then take pics for u... <_<

i tink its better for e fan blowing at e light bulbs than e water itself..

else all e dust goin inside ur water bro...

• SRC Member
Seems funny, but talking about cooling fans, I bought one today at Pasir Ris farm. The brand is Jebo and it cost $12.

Felt kinda angry as the fan doesn't totally resemble the pic on the box, and its just like a PC fan connected to a transformer.

Ohh...i had one of these fans which i used before....its very noisy.

328 Clementi has a 24hrs LPS that sells a variety of cooling fans that are pretty good.

l7304smr.jpg

328 Clementi has a 24hrs LPS that sells a variety of cooling fans that are pretty good.

eh bro its LFS lahz.. lolx.. nt lps..

i tink he pretty down after buying a wrong one liaoz.. <_<

oh ya i 4get take my fan pic wait arh.z..

brb...

• SRC Member

Hai really sad why everything I buy always wrong. First wrong choice of skimmer pump, now wrong fan.

Thanks for the info that the fan is noisy. I thought I got a defective one again.

• SRC Member
eh bro its LFS lahz.. lolx.. nt lps..

i tink he pretty down after buying a wrong one liaoz.. <_<

oh ya i 4get take my fan pic wait arh.z..

brb...

I won't give up. I'll be prototyping a new fan. Pics up soon.

here is my super paria fan pic..

my tank very very simple only

1 nw 110 reef octo

1 return pump hydor

no phosphate or FR or CR or anything lahz...

of cus n e fan...

with 4 t5 tubes from DE

even my 2 ft tank is 2nd hand..

all e corals doin gd very budget tank e light i bought brand new = more expensive than e rest of e equipment in my tank..

nowdays i tink e lightset is cheaper liaoz..

the 4 sticks i told u abt..

the fan will nt drop into e tank cus the lightning will blk e chopsticks..

then from e front its blk by e light set u can really c e fan behind..

post-2836-1233802131.jpg

post-2836-1233802181.jpg