A Little Tank Update

• SRC Member

i super kiasu one..

only feed henry's food...got garlic in it liao..also kenna on 4th day..

but now if i fish out the BT of mine...i scared stress further..

it has been eating since 2nd day in the tank..so hope it recovers....

but very worrying..cos i got 1 YT, 1 PT and 1PBT waiting in hospital tank....didnt dare intro them into the main tank..

and the worst would be the PBT....magnet!!

but very funny lah...in hospital tank..they dun kenna even after 2 weeks...

but once go into my main tank with UV on...they get it on 4th day..

and my hospital tank water is very new..

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always believe that if your fish eats like a pig, you'll have a huge chance of fighting the ich.

when I introduced my blue tang, my scorpas came down with ich again but still ate like a pig. anybody who has been to my house *only AT so far* can see the fat round belly of my YT, Scorpas and Blue Tang. :P

• SRC Member

but safe or not ar if lie got stock come in (powder blue)than can just buy?or is the fish stress like hell.. cause got once i bought 1 hor the fish just came in few minutes ago le than i like kuku like that buy than 4th :nuke: kaboom :cry2:

yeah, henry's food is pretty good...

quite easy for fussy fishes to start eating..

sometimes even with ozone or UV, you cannot completely eradicate ich, because the ozone or UV, even at peak efficiency, at most kill those in the water flowing thru the uv steriliser or the skimmer especially where most ozone are plugged into...

it may help to control outbreak at least you know something is done to the parasites flowing through the UV or skimmer...but the other stages of the parasite may not eventually end up through this eradication process and thus keeps multiplying in low levels which sometimes does not even show up on the fish itself...not at least visible to our ###### eyes...more so when most fishes are not black, unless you have an AT or black tang which makes white spot more obvious...

in a hospital/quarantine tank, if one can change water regularly and scrub the surfaces, it does help to dislodge ich at part of its life cycle..but in a reef tank...ich may be in your live rocks, sand, or other hosting ground...

but once part of its life cycle is reached when it becomes free swimming, that's when you hope most of it goes thru the UV or ozone process to be destroyed...

but this is only one small aspect to prevent ich outbreak....i am sure other bros here will have other experiences and opinions to share also :)

but safe or not ar if lie got stock come in (powder blue)than can just buy?or is the fish stress like hell.. cause got once i bought 1 hor the fish just came in few minutes ago le than i like kuku like that buy than 4th  :nuke: kaboom  :cry2:

if u know you already have ich in your system, especially high infection, it's best you lay off tangs as much as you can...so that they will find less chances to get a body to host on....

they are just waiting for you to provide them a hosting ground again and when you again introduce an ich prone fish...especially powder series, AT or some other sensitive tangs...then they come back again in large numbers...

what you would want to do is to reduce them to as low a level as possible before u try a tang again...and even when you decide that it's time to try again..do it with a more ich resistant tang...yes..all tangs are prone to ich..but some are more bulletbroof than others...

and of coz you cannot measure how much ich you have in your system...but like i said...it becomes a combination of your judgement and luck to decide when to add the next tang :)

just my 1cent worth :P

• SRC Member

i have lost some tangs even though they were eating like pigs..

but i guess many factors come into play too..

of cos a eating tang would be better but that is no sure guarantee too..

PBT super magnet.....really challenge to keep them...

roidan not trying another?

Hope AP dun mind us using this thread to discuss...

;)

My tank has ich for months already. Till now although everyday feeding food soaked in garlic oil the ich is still persistent. Could have developed resistance to garlic? :rolleyes: Oh well..looks like I have to tolerate the ich. Not killing my fishes so far....but definitely an eyesore. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

lvcap:

dare not ...after my baby powder wrecked havoc on my 4ft tank...i am sure you would remember if you were in the forum at that time ;)

from that time onwards i told myself i will not touch another powder blue...and i still glad i haven't ..

but some other bros here have success with powder blues, like our boss AT, deepblue, tanggy...others i cant recall offhand now

• SRC Member

yah...i remembered...

mi previous PBt also wreak my fishes upside down with ick..

i still eagerly waiting to try again....got mine from Preef recently...in hospital and feeding well....but dun know what will happen once it hit my main reef tank..

i saw deepblue's....super fat tang!! along with the chocolate and others..including the magnificent BLacky!!

all damn fat...

the stubborn nature in me...want to try to keep the tough fishes.....prefer the fishy challenge than SPS challenge...

when can i see my AT, Chevron and PBT in harmony??

:evil::evil:

yeah...even with good appetite...if the level of ich is too high, eventually they may succumb...depends on the specimen...garlic will help boost immunity...but they stop at just that...if the provided boost is not enough to ward off the ich onslaught...feeding how much garlic also not too effective...

coz if you notice, sometimes there isn't much ich on the fish and then bang...it comes back again...through the several cycles of ich..the fish gets weaker and weaker whereas the absolute amount of ich population gets larger and larger and each time it comes back to host on the weak fish..it leaves the fish in greater amounts and comes back again....and to the point even your strongest fish in your system may succumb to the sheer level of infection..

just think of geometric progession in the way ich reproduce...and u will know how scary and how painful it is for your fishes to have them attack and leave again and then come back in larger numbers again till your fish finallly decide to give up, feeding or not....

1centworth again :)

i saw deepblue's....super fat tang!! along with the chocolate and others..including the magnificent BLacky!!

all damn fat...

It's Black Knight!!!

btw...I am a tang and angel lover...love to feed them as well.....

Glad to see so many tang lovers here....

IMO...they are still the best reef fishes we can out in our aquarium...even our resident tang police couldnt resist them ;)

• SRC Member

Talked to guy at CF (John). I was told the best way to get rid of ich once and for all is through quaratine. Easy to say than done. This is what need to do.

When a tank is setup, stock up the coral as much as you want (of course the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and all parameter have to be in check). Until the tank is full of corals....but not a single fish. Then wait for 3 months. During the 3 months, if the ich has no fish host, they will die off.

Meanwhile, setup a separate quarantine tank to house the fish. keep them there for the 3 months until confirm no ich. Then introduce into the reef tank.

Subsequently, any coral or fish will need to go through the quarantine process for 6-8 weeks before introduce into the tank.

As I said, this is easier to say then done.

in theory what john say is true...

coz every time you add a coral into an established tank even, there is a low likelihood that some stage of the ich has latched on the coral....

unlikely, but there is still a slim chance of the coral bringing in ich...

so for new setups with a patient reefer, this could a an effective way to minimise the possibility of an outbreak :)

• SRC Member
i have lost some tangs even though they were eating like pigs..

but i guess many factors come into play too..

of cos a eating tang would be better but that is no sure guarantee too..

PBT super magnet.....really challenge to keep them...

roidan not trying another?

Hope AP dun mind us using this thread to discuss...

;)

no of course not....don't mind at all because all are welcome here and good to read discussions..... :D

• SRC Member

BTW, just let me share my experience with ich. I bought a YT from CF and a PBT from Reb***n. Yes, it is Reb**n, along with 8 clown fishes.

Shouldn't have done that, all my clown fish started dying one by one. The last one I notice has ich over all. Mind you that clown fish is very ich resistance.

After I lost all my clown, my YT and PBT were still alive and kicking. They are being feed frozen mysis shrimp soaked in garlic everyday. So far, the PBT shows a little of white dots on the fin and it was gone the following day. It has been 3-4 weeks now.

This really puzzle me. I thought the tang will be more suspectible to ich, but apparently not.

One thing I know is that I don't think I will buy anymore stock from Reb**n.

Any guys have problem with the stock from this LFS?

Also, seems like AP is having a great success in keeping tang...not sure is because of the ozonizer. May be is time for me to dig into my pocket and get one too.

Thanks,

Patrick

the ozoniser is just one small part of the equation. its like lubricant in the car engine. the more, the better. not so much, still can run.

UV/Ozone wouldn't make up for lousy water quality and bad husbandry skills. not saying that you have none of the above, but having one or two of the above working isn't a miracle cure. (=

terry is right...

whether ozone or uv is indeed useful is really hard to quantify the effects....if we see fishes improving from ich or no ich at all, it could be due to other effects not solely due to the equipment, could be the fish managed to get an aquired immunity...too many factors to consider really...

yeah..AP's tangs are not having ich, probably from the good equipment and good advice she has from frens like storm and sailfin, who keep exotic tangs as well.

perhaps we can ask AP to get storm and sailfin to share more indepth experience with tang keeping with all of us here. I am sure they will be willing to share and contribute more towards such issues that will benefit this thread for all tang lovers :)

• SRC Member
BTW, just let me share my experience with ich. I bought a YT from CF and a PBT from Reb***n. Yes, it is Reb**n, along with 8 clown fishes.

Shouldn't have done that, all my clown fish started dying one by one. The last one I notice has ich over all. Mind you that clown fish is very ich resistance.

After I lost all my clown, my YT and PBT were still alive and kicking. They are being feed frozen mysis shrimp soaked in garlic everyday. So far, the PBT shows a little of white dots on the fin and it was gone the following day. It has been 3-4 weeks now.

This really puzzle me. I thought the tang will be more suspectible to ich, but apparently not.

One thing I know is that I don't think I will buy anymore stock from Reb**n.

Any guys have problem with the stock from this LFS?

Also, seems like AP is having a great success in keeping tang...not sure is because of the ozonizer. May be is time for me to dig into my pocket and get one too.

Thanks,

Patrick

so far touch wood..... :lol: but all my tangs are showing good signs of a healthy lifestyle. The only true test will be when I add the AT...... :fear: notice these fishes....AT , Powder Blue , Goldrim , seem to be very prone to Ich..... :blink: The toughest I've known is the Orange Shoulder , maybe the Lieutenant maybe tough as well..... :unsure:

my tangs are from...

Yellow Tang and Scorpas Tang...Coral Farm

Blue Tang...LCK 110

Powder Blue Tang...PReef

urh. so far I don't see any trouble with them. but I may have a trouble fishing out the Scorpas when I introduce a black tang some time in July/August. (=

so far i got no tangs from rebo@n...

but bro hon has his AT from there and it's beautiful and was the

impetus for weileong to get an AT :)

my tangs are from CF, ML, PReef :)

but what AP is doing is right...start off with the hardier tangs first...gain more confidence before getting the more sensitive tangs :)