A Little Tank Update

• SRC Member
if they are always hungry...i believe they would be bold during feeding time...u can try putting those big betta box with side slots removable and drop food inside, sooner or later the adventurous ones will swim in and start pecking...BUT...dun make your move first....

wait till they seem so happy...and after a few days or weeks when alot of them chiong into the betta box for food..you close the slot and trap them...

easier said than done, but at least gives you another option than swinging your net in the tankĀ  :D

yeah , thanks bro Roidan.....it's alot better option then removing everything in there (dreading) :fear:

I can't close the lid on the first try or else they would know and avoid it from then on....seems they're way too clever....he..he

I am also considering never putting the normal cleaner shrimps.....another species if I can get to catch (luckily theres only 2 of them) another robber of food from my LPS.

Intend to give them away......have grown really big in size...... :whistle

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
where u got that sis?

watch a documentary that they actually sting fishes to paralyse them than eat them alive!! am i right?

hi bro Reddevils , yeah thats the deadly textile cone and killing just a fish is easy target for it...... ;) That tiny cone shell can kill a human almost instantly if not careful because people love collecting shells and when they find something like that on the beach they just pick it up and slip it into their pocket not knowing that the sting can penetrate through your clothing.... :o I don't really know if that was a textile cone in my tank but came across something almost similar like that but I guess it wasn't otherwise I won't be writing this today..... ;)

• SRC Member

yup yup.. its stings contain a neuro-toxin. Once the toxin enters the bloodstreams, it basically clogs up the nerve-stems in transferring important messages to your brain in this case the fish's brain. then it will release a second toxin into your bloodstreams. the second toxin i suppose is to kill you and everything is done in seconds. so anyone get stung, barely any hope. watched that on Nat Geo a long time ago on a programme called Built For the Kill! even featured mantis shrimp! lolx.. anyway yup that type of snails very dangerous. Fatal sting! anyway the common name for it is called marble cone.. nice sharing

Anyway this is sidetrack topic! NIce preparation for the BIG thing! lolx.. need any help then? ask me! i want to help you can pay me by kopi? :lol:

• SRC Member
yup yup.. its stings contain a neuro-toxin. Once the toxin enters the bloodstreams, it basically clogs up the nerve-stems in transferring important messages to your brain in this case the fish's brain. then it will release a second toxin into your bloodstreams. the second toxin i suppose is to kill you and everything is done in seconds. so anyone get stung, barely any hope. watched that on Nat Geo a long time ago on a programme called Built For the Kill! even featured mantis shrimp! lolx.. anyway yup that type of snails very dangerous. Fatal sting! anyway the common name for it is called marble cone.. nice sharing

Anyway this is sidetrack topic! NIce preparation for the BIG thing! lolx.. need any help then? ask me! i want to help you can pay me by kopi? :lol:

he....he....kopi....can no problem! That was a good write up by the way of info regarding these dangerous creatures which always seems to fascinate me.... :D

wish i was a biologist or scientist....he...he

WTF???? :shock: it should nt be sold in the first place :angry:

Yea..still remembering the times when I was contemplating whether to buy..but did'nt want to risk an escape as octopus will escape sooner or later. So just ended up playing with the octopus, touching the suction discs that came out thru the holes in the container. :rolleyes: As long as you avoid the beak it would be safe.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Yea..still remembering the times when I was contemplating whether to buy..but did'nt want to risk an escape as octopus will escape sooner or later. So just ended up playing with the octopus, touching the suction discs that came out thru the holes in the container. :rolleyes: As long as you avoid the beak it would be safe.

i am against the idea of octopuses in bottles. :angry::angry: they should be on rice on a plate in SAKAE :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Sis AP,

You mentioned that you had a near-death experience with your refugium. Can you share with us what had happened?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Patrick , yes my refigium crashed for some reason because I guess I wasn't used to applying a new concept to what I was already use too in the begining. The Refigium caused a massive red slime take over in my tank and it wasn't going to stop which got me concerned. A major water change didn't help so I purchased BioPhos to help eliminate the problem but it still kept coming back in small patches.... :unsure:

There wasn't much livestock at the time , so phosphate levels wasn't actually a problem I could forsee and feeding and lighting were greatly reduced as well. My RSB was skimming kopi-O so couldn't see that as a problem as well....until I closed the refigium and kept the sump in darkness....that worked well in my previous 6 footer set-up and shifted the boi balls from the overflow column to the main sump where it was half submerged instead of a dry trikle.

Everything is perfect right now and I am glad I acted quickly because all my LS , softies and LPS were showing stress and not doing too well..... :whistle

• SRC Member
wah AP,

these stuff are dangerous, how come appear in your thread? you intending to put them in ah? :unsure:

anyway, i saw the blue ring in a documentary once.....amazing creature....dun see small small...super deadly

No Lah.....just sharing leh!.... :lol: Sometimes it's good to remind the newbies and jog our memories abit..... :lol:

No way do i want those deadly marine creatures in there....besides my hand is always in there.....even though with gloves my tank is huge and covered with alot of LR....I think I would be asking for trouble.... :lol:

• SRC Member

Hi Patrick , yes my refigium crashed for some reason because I guess I wasn't used to applying a new concept to what I was already use too in the begining. The Refigium caused a massive red slime take over in my tank and it wasn't going to stop which got me concerned. A major water change didn't help so I purchased BioPhos to help eliminate the problem but it still kept coming back in small patches.... :unsure:

There wasn't much livestock at the time , so phosphate levels wasn't actually a problem I could forsee and feeding and lighting were greatly reduced as well. My RSB was skimming kopi-O so couldn't see that as a problem as well....until I closed the refigium and kept the sump in darkness....that worked well in my previous 6 footer set-up and shifted the boi balls from the overflow column to the main sump where it was half submerged instead of a dry trikle.

Everything is perfect right now and I am glad I acted quickly because all my LS , softies and LPS were showing stress and not doing too well..... :whistle

swift action will save tones of money.... hey sis i havent seen any clams in ur tank..... such a BIG sandbed and so empty :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Funny why the thread becomes about blue ring octopus...actually...I would pretty much prefer to keep the mimic octopus. Not so venomous and definitely more interesting in behavior. ;)

just sharing bro.FuEI.....these marine creatures have always fascinated me for some reason as I have kept the bluering before...... :fear:

• SRC Member

just sharing bro.FuEI.....these marine creatures have always fascinated me for some reason as I have kept the bluering before...... :fear:

sis u and DA really asking for trouble :angry: wait kena bite how :shock::shock:

• SRC Member

bro bubble.....that one long time ago leh.....but had alot of information before buying it. If kenna , you can buy flower for me.... :P

By the way who is DA?

dispair anthias...... speaking abt dispair anthias i always thought of getting a sunburst :rolleyes: