A Little Tank Update

I have the Rowaphos but havent started using it cause have determine PO4 level.

I am currently using a cheap DIY topup method. Basically I have a container sitting on my tank and dripping water (using the plastic control thing) onto the tank.

I do regular water change once a week of approx 20%.

I have got 5 shrimps. 2 medium fire, 1 medium cleaner and 2 ###### shrimp.

What other "peaceful" reefsafe (effective) cleanup crew would you recommend? Any good snails?

My tank is like a shrimp tank now with 2 fishes and 5 shrimps.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

thats quite a bit of shrimps you have....he..he....

Snails actually clear algae so they don't really clear scraps of food but they're good to have a round as well. Cerith snails which the other day saw eaquarist carrying and they don't grow big.

some pistol shrimps and coral banded shrimps are good too but then again we don't want your tank to become a shrimp species tank.... ;) Some lawnmower blennys like the one I posted and some starfishes will do the job as well.

what do you do for your water change...that is what is type of water? Remember to clear yur LR's of detritus when doing water changes and blast them with a powerhead to clear anything settling on it.

post-34-1079499666.jpg

I simply use tap water with anti chlorine and chloramine. I leave it for overnight as well.

I never clean my LR's of detritus till date. Is this really necessary? I've got rocks stacking on top of one another so I will have to disturb it if I do that. Can share how you generally do it?

I dont have a power head. Any good cheap economical recommendation? My tank only 2.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 ft.

Currently using my Eheim cannister filter output to create the water circulation. Therefore it is more effective for the top half of the tank. I use the green plastic tube with small holes (comes with the filter) to create the mild current. Is this enough?

• SRC Member
I simply use tap water with anti chlorine and chloramine. I leave it for overnight as well.

I never clean my LR's of detritus till date. Is this really necessary? I've got rocks stacking on top of one another so I will have to disturb it if I do that. Can share how you generally do it?

I dont have a power head. Any good cheap economical recommendation? My tank only 2.5 by 1.5 by 1.5 ft.

Currently using my Eheim cannister filter output to create the water circulation. Therefore it is more effective for the top half of the tank. I use the green plastic tube with small holes (comes with the filter) to create the mild current. Is this enough?

actually never had sucess with Coco's until recently with my new set up. If I had my previous tank they would have withered by now. What I know is that I went the extra mile with this present tank and I'm eating bread everyday.... :lol: can't afford rice even.... :lol:

I use to use tap water with alot of anti chlorine but that didn't help my Coco's from thriving further. Didn't know about DT's at the time so they practically starved to death..... :(

Bro Weapon , you don't have to remove the rocks or anything...just get an ordinary powerhead...plug it in and before doing a 20% water change just blast the LR's with it and siphon of all the detritus thats left around. Your water flow might not be enough with just a canister outflow and an additional powerhead would help in the circulation process. There are some "coldspots" as they say because your circulation is only on the top half of your tank. The Coco's need water movement all around their feathery arms.

I don't trust any other powerhead except Rena or Eheim brand. They're slightly expensive but long term use is ideal. I can't remember the model for Rena but the smallest one would help as an extra circulatory pump in your system.... :D

• 2 weeks later...