A Little Tank Update

• SRC Member
anyway i remembered last time before tiles were layed in my unit...i used something hard like a hammer to knock the floor for fun and i realised that the floor of the balcony doesn't sound as dense as the floors in the living room...i must have been quite bored to do that...must have been waiting for contractor to come or delivery man to come and nothing to entertain myself in the empty place..haha

anyway, even in the living room, there are some spots that sound more dense than other areas....the closer to a nearby wall, the denser the sound, as you go to the center of the room, the sound becomes more echoey or hollow...in my impression it was like that, i may be wrong though

but personally i will never think of putting a tank in the balcony, coz it's one of the places of direct sunlight and even if you put shades/blinds/blackscreens there, the ambient temperature there is one of the highest in a house.  :)

since got 1/2 power chiller , heat is secondary now..... :lol:

actually near the window allows me to minimize on my MH so there will be times where I will set the MH at intervals to come on and allow natural sunlight to filter in.

for my area/balcony theres alot of air movement and wind which make it less stuffy then one might think. The natural sunlight coming through is alot better then any MH available as far as I can say..... :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
but the chiller will run less hard and less often if the tank is not heated up by ambient temperature too fast.

anyway, we shall not dwell into that, as for who knows the true parentage of your tang, i can only think of one person who is a walking marine encyclopedia here... :lol:

I agree.....thats true in a way.....with chiller working over time but with air movement in and around the tank would dessipate some or not most heat away but with non windy days the chilller would probably have a hard task to compete. With this present chiller which is kinda of overkill for my tank.....I am more at ease actually..... :whistle

who...who....is the tang expert?....he...he

• SRC Member
Your TS7 might not be enough for SPS :P

changing my return pumps leh.....currently using the Hailea with only 2885 L/H but will convert to OceanRunner 6,000 L/H....HIAK...HIAK..... ;)

My Tunze is running only half full so don't be surprised.....another one will be added to the other corner..... ;) Someone suggested 4 at each corner....would have turned out to be more of a jacuzzi then a reef tank.... :lol:

When I listened to doing a refigium my tank nearly crashed..... :cry: now after removing everything ....... I managed to save alot of trouble.... ;)

Appreciate your advise bro Weileong but will add more Tunze if need be....currently 2 would suffice a powerful flow.... :D

• SRC Member
never mind lah weileong,

let AP do it the way AP knows best..

Ap's previous 6ft tank with vibrant SPS also never use tunze streams wat...

so AP can just replicate what was done on the 6ft tank lor.. :lol:

yeah hor Bro Roidan.....how come ah.... :blink: that time no Tunze around or was there? Somemore no RO/DI somemore.... :blink:

yeah lor....

that's why i suggest you stick to what you did to your 6ft sps tank...

coz u may end up introducing things like refugium which nearly crashed your tank like you said...and those things that u never tried in your 6ft...

since your 6ft has your method of achieving your target...why sidetrack from your own tried and tested methods? and u end up adding more unknown variables to may lead you further away from what you have achieved in your previous 6ft sps nirvana

stick to what you have acheived success the way u gotten from your 6ft sps tank...and u wun go wrong wat...tested and proven by yourself one...

other suggestions by other reefers...may not work in your method

• SRC Member
yeah lor....

that's why i suggest you stick to what you did to your 6ft sps tank...

coz u may end up introducing things like refugium which nearly crashed your tank like you said...and those things that u never tried in your 6ft...

since your 6ft has your method of achieving your target...why sidetrack from your own tried and tested methods? and u end up adding more unknown variables to may lead you further away from what you have achieved in your previous 6ft sps nirvana

stick to what you have acheived success the way u gotten from your 6ft sps tank...and u wun go wrong wat...tested and proven by yourself one...

other suggestions by other reefers...may not work in your method

man....don't know how tank nearly crash with refigium but luckily managed to save in time. Nerver tried that before so thought it was a better way of reducing nitrate build up but unfortunately didn't work...... :(

it's good to try otherwise will never know if it works or not.... ;) Thats why going back to using old method and so far (touch wood) so good already.... :lol:

now can't wait to have it fully stocked up with fishes and all..... :yeah:

that's why everyone's system is unique...wat works for others may not work for you...

if what you have done in your previous 6ft has been great, why bother to be distracted by all these other methods, stick to what is tried and tested, by yourself :)

for me, my refugium works, never crash probably coz i have the right kind of macroalgae, or watever factor that keeps the system stable... :)

you are one that feels strongly about your methods of reefing and let others know that you have a vast reefing experience of many many many years :bow: ...from what i read in the earlier parts of your thread as well as the RSB skimmer thread

other reefers like me will have doubts over some issues..eg. your skimmer, but i believe if you stick to your method garnered from your 20 years of experience, u will show us it can be done even with a small skimmer.

i think by allowing yourself to be sidetracked, you are just doubting yourself and your proven method ;)

that's why i believe you should stick to what you know best, and i know you can do it :)

• SRC Member
that's why everyone's system is unique...wat works for others may not work for you...

if what you have done in your previous 6ft has been great, why bother to be distracted by all these other methods, stick to what is tried and tested, by yourself :)

for me, my refugium works, never crash probably coz i have the right kind of macroalgae, or watever factor that keeps the system stable... :)

you are one that feels strongly about your methods of reefing and let others know that you have a vast reefing experience of 20 years or more...from what i read in the earlier parts of your thread

i think by allowing yourself to be sidetracked, you are just doubting yourself and your proven method  :lol:

actually would like to have a refigium but can't understand why it didn't work and others does but without it seems to be making a great difference as well so theres actually no one plain straight rule in this hobby.... :D

Bro. Roidan appreciate your thoughts and comments....... :bow::bow: maybe I should stick to what I was use to because when my tank nearly crashed I was pretty much dissapointed..... :(

usually with all the newer and advance methods that come can go in this hobby thought it would be good to at least try it out before deciding not to use it again... ;) It's pretty much interesting to learn a different method without being sidetracked in anyway to what goes on in this hobby.

when my 6 footer was fully stocked , what contributed to it's sucess was the husbandry skills that I applied so maybe thats why it was able to sustain the SPS... :D One thing learned.....take a picture of the passion that surrounds oneself.... :lol:

but anyway, it's hard for someone to have a nice 6ft sps reef and not take any pictures of it even using normal non-digital cameras...

if there are no digital cameras invented, i think i would have opened a photo processing shop myself to develop my reef photos cheaper with a normal camera :lol:

maybe the thought didn't come to your mind, but i am sure somewhere in your family photos, there are some with the beautiful 6ft tank as background or tucked away in a corner of the photo...

and can share with us the beauty of your previous reef :)

anyway AP,

you did mention that the near tank crash from the refugium failure gave you alot of stress...

actually seriously, objectively stating, if you had a bigger and probably better skimmer, you may not reach the point of near crash no matter what happens in your refugium

i am sure along the way, stocking and setup of my current 6ft tank, there are mistakes that could have crashed my tank if not for my skimmers...just that the skimmers exported the *crash potential* before i even noticed my tank going to a near crash crisis

i seriously believe that if you stock the way and the speed i do, u will have a lot of nutrient problems...

i know you feel strongly and heartily about your RSB classic, but just a suggestion, you can add another RSB classic and run 2 RSBs together...i am sure it will buffer you against more near crash situations in future :):peace:

I think bro Weileong a bit skeptical about me keeping SPS so must prove....with many tangs somemore..... :D

Don't worry coming up soon once my MH arrive..... :yeah:

you forgot to add "dozen of anthias with heavy feedings".

It's not that I think cannot keep SPS but make sure your tank won't have SPS along side with those algae. End up the algae more obvious than your SPS. Maybe the algae taller than your acros :P

Like that consider can keep SPS or not? Yes the SPS still show some grow, whole body brown except the tips shows a bit of color etc.

• SRC Member

you forgot to add "dozen of anthias with heavy feedings".

It's not that I think cannot keep SPS but make sure your tank won't have SPS along side with those algae. End up the algae more obvious than your SPS. Maybe the algae taller than your acros :P

Like that consider can keep SPS or not? Yes the SPS still show some grow, whole body brown except the tips shows a bit of color etc.

he...he....become lalang algae SPS..... :lol: So thats why husbandry skills must be up to date and cannot slack.

Anthias scared one leh.....always run and hide and then don't want to feed...sian liao leh..... :(

Ok...set , must make SPS all over color up...... ;)

seriously, anthias are a group of very rewarding fish....

if u dare and can feed them well, they will reward you with schooling behaviour that even a school of chromis or cardinals cannot match....

and they will not hide when they are in a large group...the leaders of subpacks will always lead the shy ones out when you go near the tank if u feed often...because they think u are going to feed them.

it's rewarding, i netted some queens out to reduce bioload when the AT came as ATs require not just good water parameters, but pristine water parameters.....but when i upgrade my skimmer soon, the shoals of anthias, not schools, will be back :P

your tank will be nice for schooling fishes as many places to venture...but not so much for tangs especially adult tangs...because everywhere they turn, they only got about 4ft of tank length to sprint before changing direction whether 90degree to the next plane or 180 degree uturn back...

but i am sure an adult Acanthurus pyroferus will be pretty comfortable in there :lol:

• SRC Member
anyway AP,

you did mention that the near tank crash from the refugium failure gave you alot of stress...

actually seriously, objectively stating, if you had a bigger and probably better skimmer, you may not reach the point of near crash no matter what happens in your refugium

i am sure along the way, stocking and setup of my current 6ft tank, there are mistakes that could have crashed my tank if not for my skimmers...just that the skimmers exported the *crash potential* before i even noticed my tank going to a near crash crisis

i seriously believe that if you stock the way and the speed i do, u will have a lot of nutrient problems...

i know you feel strongly and heartily about your RSB classic, but just a suggestion, you can add another RSB classic and run 2 RSBs together...i am sure it will buffer you against more near crash situations in future :):peace:

Bro. Roidan....nearly and crashed (choi - choi ) theres a difference but being observant was what that saved my tank from alot of trouble before anything crashed..... :D

Yes , probably with a bigger skimmer I wouldn't have had any stress if it did crash for some reason. Actually I don't deny that the RSB is way too small for the size of tank I have now compared to the 6 footer previously but as long as my NO3 is kept at 0 i am pretty much pleased with the results of the skimmer though. Maybe with another RSB Classic as you suggested would prove to be beneficial..... :bow:

appreciate your advise brother Roidan..... :bow:

yeah..i figured you will accept the suggestion of another RSB classic much much readily and easily than trying to push another brand or type of skimmer to you..

or else will end up with testimonials from you again about the prowess of your RSBclassic again :P

have already kinda figured your kinda reefing methodology and mindset already :lol:

no problem lah...just voicing out my frank opinion and suggestions as a fellow reefer, experience not vast as yours definitely, i better go check my birthdate, maybe you started reefing while i was still teething :lol:

so gotta respect that no matter wat :bow:

the real experts out there are the ones not commenting, i am just a casual reefer farting around with my posts :lol:

• SRC Member
seriously, anthias are a group of very rewarding fish....

if u dare and can feed them well, they will reward you with schooling behaviour that even a school of chromis or cardinals cannot match....

and they will not hide when they are in a large group...the leaders of subpacks will always lead the shy ones out when you go near the tank if u feed often...because they think u are going to feed them.

it's rewarding, i netted some queens out to reduce bioload when the AT came as ATs require not just good water parameters, but pristine water parameters.....but when i upgrade my skimmer soon, the shoals of anthias, not schools, will be back :P

your tank will be nice for schooling fishes as many places to venture...but not so much for tangs especially adult tangs...because everywhere they turn, they only got about 4ft of tank length to sprint before changing direction whether 90degree to the next plane or 180 degree uturn back...

but i am sure an adult Acanthurus pyroferus will be pretty comfortable in there :lol:

bro. Roidan....never had much luck with Anthias though..... :( now trying to get rid of my schooling blue/green chromis in my tank.... :erm: They're way too greedy and pick off food i feed to my LPS , managed to catch 7 already..... :D nearly broke my back...... :lol:

is it true that onced they're spooked that they don't really want to feed anymore?

I don't doubt that a shoal of them would be magnificient to watch with the ocean at my balcony..... :lol:

You're right about tangs and they're swimming space though but a big Sohal is my favorite as well.... :yeah:

yeah

it may be a problem netting out your chromis especially with the vast rockworks...

when your net hits the water surface, some of them may just dart for cover already...i had to resort to some trickery to fool some of the queens into getting netted :lol:

u mean anthias ah....

not really...i do use long tools in my tank to arrange corals quite often and not to mention changing veges on the vege clips for my tangs....but the anthias are not scared....the tangs are the ones that will hide instead...

the anthias in my tank got used to my hands/tools in water already...

but anthias are indeed sensitive when they are newly introduced, more so when you dunno if there has been enough harm done along the shipping process....

what harm done along the shipment, you can't undo it.....

but the moment you step into an lfs to choose your anthias, that's when their fate becomes tied with you....

a keen eye for details, movement, looks...will be an important first step in choosing good specimens....

sometimes you just know if this fish can make it or not, sometimes something tells you not to buy although outrightly there aren't anything terribly wrong with it....

6th sense? spider sense? i dunno....probably fish sense since i am a pisces :lol: