Ca/Kalk Reactor?

• SRC Member

Hi

I would like to know if there is any threshold/"critical" level of Ca/Alk consumption before you decide to use a Ca Reactor?

The daily Ca/Alk usage is 30-40ppm and 4-5 dkh.

To maintain at 400ppm/11 dkh, I use Part A&B. This is very expensive as the coral's intake is too high.

I intend to use Seachem Ca (powder) and Salifert KH (powder) and this is a cheaper option (I believe so).

Or should I get a Ca reactor?

Or Kalk reactor?

Pls share your experience.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

I agree fully. I was dosing so much calcium chloride, kalkwasser and alkalinity supplements on a daily basis that my pipes were full of calcium deposits. I dosing mega amounts... looking back, it was madness!

My alk can drop from 11 to 5 in a day. My calcium can drop from 410 to 350 in 3 days. You can see how much i struggle to keep up and you can also imagine how much my sps corals are sulking with the inconsistent levels of alk and cal? They show it! Believe me! One week the colours seem brighter... the next a little darker... :(

Now with my new calcium reactor... I am getting an output of cal: 580 and dkh: 29.4 with my last tweaking.

My cal and alk levels are now holding well in my tank... :)

Hoping to tweak my alk output to a much higher level, maybe around 50dkh? But once I find the ideal settings... it will be pretty much hands-off! :yeah:

NO more dosing!!! :)

AT

• SRC Member

A kalk reactor is limited by the amount of evaporation you get in the tank. Usually it's not high for a tank with chiller and humid weather of Singapore. There can only be a fixed volume of kalk you can dispense into the tank without changing the salinity.

A calcium reactor will more than pay for itself over time compared to dosing.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I am dosing kalk via a Tubby auto water topup linked to a kalkreactor. It doses kalk at night when the lights are off to replenish water evaporation during the day to help increase calcium/alk while keeping my PH stable during the dark hours.

I use an Iona industrial fan (smallest model 75w) to blow across my tank water surface. Evaporation rate is about 1 - 2 litres a day.

You might want to consider a kalkreactor as well.

• SRC Member
I am dosing kalk via a Tubby auto water topup linked to a kalkreactor. It doses kalk at night when the lights are off to replenish water evaporation during the day to help increase calcium/alk while keeping my PH stable during the dark hours.

I use an Iona industrial fan (smallest model 75w) to blow across my tank water surface. Evaporation rate is about 1 - 2 litres a day.

You might want to consider a kalkreactor as well.

which model of kalkreactor do you recommend?

• SRC Supporter
I agree fully. I was dosing so much calcium chloride, kalkwasser and alkalinity supplements on a daily basis that my pipes were full of calcium deposits. I dosing mega amounts... looking back, it was madness!

My alk can drop from 11 to 5 in a day. My calcium can drop from 410 to 350 in 3 days. You can see how much i struggle to keep up and you can also imagine how much my sps corals are sulking with the inconsistent levels of alk and cal? They show it! Believe me! One week the colours seem brighter... the next a little darker... :(

Now with my new calcium reactor... I am getting an output of cal: 580 and dkh: 29.4 with my last tweaking.

My cal and alk levels are now holding well in my tank... :)

Hoping to tweak my alk output to a much higher level, maybe around 50dkh? But once I find the ideal settings... it will be pretty much hands-off! :yeah:

NO more dosing!!! :)

AT

Is it really posdsible to get a dkh reading of 50???

Hmmm .,...can;t wait then to get my Calcium Reactor linked up to my reef.... :lol:

• SRC Supporter
Maybe not 50 but some nos closer to it :lol:

You got your ARM media?

Don't expect this kind of result from coral chips huh.......unless you use pure vineger :lol:

I will complete the test on my DIY CA tonite...coupled with a secondary Chamber.....

If all goes well, gonna get some ARM......

• SRC Member

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

That will be the next piece of eqpt, early next year so that my "boss" will not feel the pinch. :lol:

All my corals and equipment are my promises to my wife that "this is the last and final purchase". So this reactor will be the "last last" piece.

Any other things after this will be the "last last last" and so on. :D

• SRC Member

My Koralline ca reactor can easily give >50 dKH with just 10 bubbles/min due to the highly efficient recirculating design. If I crank up the bubble count I won't be surprised if it exceeded 60 dKH.

Another reason is because it's big.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

It's the reactor effluent that is measured. Usually it is diluted with tap water to sample 4:1 before measuring.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
It's the reactor effluent that is measured. Usually it is diluted with tap water to sample 4:1 before measuring.

In simple term, I take 5ml of the output solution, and add 20ml of tap water.

then using 5ml from the new solution to test the Ca and KH level. is this right?

:thanks:

• SRC Member
:thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

That will be the next piece of eqpt, early next year so that my "boss" will not feel the pinch.  :lol:

All my corals and equipment are my promises to my wife that "this is the last and final purchase". So this reactor will be the "last last" piece.

Any other things after this will be the "last last last" and so on.  :D

:lol: LP, that's hilarious... that's the line I sometimes use as well.:D

Let's meet up one of these days... talk strategy.

• SRC Member

Morgan... yes, and I am thankful for that and I feel truly blessed! :angel:... but sometimes must still justify my acquisitions, i.e. very rare, unusual colour, good for sps/clams, etc. :P All said, you are correct in that she is very supportive and understanding. :)

But seriously... I manually dose Seachem Reef Builder and Reef Advantage Calcium (separately) daily along with my top up water . I find dosing to be more cost effective for my 30g setup. A Ca reactor would probably make a lot more sense for larger systems (3ft or larger).

• SRC Member
But seriously... I manually dose Seachem Reef Builder and Reef Advantage Calcium (separately) daily along with my top up water  .  I find dosing to be more cost effective for my 30g setup.  A Ca reactor would probably make a lot more sense for larger systems (3ft or larger).

I agree with danano too on this !!! ;) It really depends on the size of the tank n wat u have in it ..... the initial start up cost is HIGHER :( ... but it will even out in the long run :yeah: ... so another words .... how serious u r into this hobby ???? ( unless u have DEEP pockets/wallets :sick: )

• SRC Member
In simple term, I take 5ml of the output solution, and add 20ml of tap water.

then using 5ml from the new solution to test the Ca and KH level. is this right?

:thanks:

Ja. I was thinking more along the line of 1mL of effluent and 4 mL of tap water. Then measure the alkalinity, reading multiplied by 5 gives you the alkalinity of the effluent.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

AT,

May I know what powerhead are u using? have been looking high and low for a powerhead that can be fitted to a small airtube... :thanks:

• SRC Member

How come the instructions never say that! No wonder I can,t get anything more than 35 before CO2 starts accumulating...

One more question. Recently I have been experiencing low PH (sometime less than 8), could it be due to my calcium reactor? :thanks: