2ft resurrected

MbmC

• SRC Member

So I recently decommed my 2ft tanks, and set up a 4x2x2. But looking at the tank and all the equipment lying around, I knew I just had to do something about it. Found an excuse, and my parent's agreed that their hall needs a tank :D

So I sent my old 2ft x 20" x 20" 10mm tank for some modifications. The last LFS who had it made for me did not include any bracings or overflow box. So I decided this time I'd want a central overflow box, and predrilled holes on both sides of the overflow for returns. I had to have eurobracing added on as well...

Gonna use a SCWD to alternate the return flow between the 2 holes...

DSCF0701.jpg

DSCF0703.jpg

• SRC Member

Full setup as seen. Decided to setup a 1ft cube tank for Apisto right next to the marine tank...Will use a 9W light on the 1ft cube, and parasite off the lighting scatter from the 6 tube DE fixture that I will be using for the marine tank. I think the freshwater plants will be relatively happy with that arrangement :D

DSCF0706.jpg

DSCF0702.jpg

• SRC Member

Managed to get a FOC 30"x17"18" sump tank from bro orsony, courtesy of meatloaf...:D Thanks guys...

Looks bigger in water volume than even my display tank. Since I had so much space to play with in the sump, I decided to DIY some more partitions. Added 1 strip above the 1st partition, so that water will enter below the surface level. Needed to add another partition to be able to compartmentalise fully the 2nd compartment. Then added a 3rd partition across the middle compartment to sub-divide it. Will fill both up with at least a 4" sand bed, then grow chaeto in the back compartment, while keep a living refugium in the front compartment. What should I keep in it? :D

Decided to make use of the pre-existing hole in the side of the sump tank to run an external return pump (Eheim 1260). Only problem is, the doors won't close after that. Gonna have to get some carpenter to cut a few holes in the doors, make it look like an original design :D

DSCF0708.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

DSCF0710.jpg

• SRC Member

So that's it. Drilled all the holes in the cabinet myself, laid the foundations for the piping work which I should manage to complete in a few days.

Live rocks from my previous setup have been FW dipped, sunned, scrubbed, and dried out completely. I'm fed up of having to deal with pests. So I'm gonna really take my time and run in this system, no more express run in with live rocks and live sand. 6 months, if my patience doesn't run out before that :D

So this will be one really long journal of a journey, as much for my own recollection as it is to share :D

Looking real good :) Can't wait to see it fill up :eyebrow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I will be hiding up the waterline eventually, but not with black tape. Will get someone to make black acrylic tops to fit both tanks.

That's not a mat, that's black egg crate. I'll be pouring sand over the egg crate so that it's hidden. I use it so that the rocks don't slide and move all over the tank. More stable rock structure that way.

• SRC Member

the black egg crate is a very good idea.. i shall remember to use that method the next time i start a new tank.. :D

btw bro, how do u intend to cope with those salt sprays onto your DE t5 tubes.. or is it extra labour every week to clean it, like i'm doing to mine now.. tedious.. :pinch:

• SRC Supporter

Very nice setup..its a good size to go for SPS

Can use the planted tank for refugium also.

My little ocean
Mix Reef-Main tank 30 inches Length x 32 inches Width x 18 inches Height
2 X Skim DC return pump
Aquabee 2000 chiller feeder

Hailea 1/2 Chiller
1 X Tunze nano wavebox

2 X EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10W
Deltec skimmer - Internal
Lumenarc 400watt 12K Reeflux

8 X T5 ATI Powermodule
Prolifux control with external touchscreen display
Refugium keeping chaeto