Shark's Fins

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm..vdc..you seem to be from ava..if not then probably an ardent supporter of ava. :lol:

I'm partly the opposite of you. :evil:

The banning of captive-bred animals is totally ridiculous. I think singapore so far is the only 'developed' country that I know of that actually bans animals although they are captive bred. I know of many people breeding endangered species here. And believe me, the smuggling would certainly stop if locally bred stuff can be legalised. Once such a legislation is passed, I'm sure the educated people of SG would surely go for captive-bred specimens rather than wild-caught ones. The black market for animal smuggling can be significantly affected.

I totally agree with you against the consumption of endangered animals. Eating rhino horn products is as good as eating your own fingernails.

However, I'm deeply annoyed the stigma AVA has placed on certain groups of animals thru misinformation to the public. Such an action does not help conservation at all.

Conservation composes of 3 components.

1)Education

2)Preservation of habitat

3)Captive breeding opportunities

What SG severely lacks is no. 3 and partly of no. 1. The fellow mammals are worshipped. While the other 'alien' creatures are stigmatized.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Why govenments dont allow ppl to keep endangered animals? Thats because layman like us dn know how to keep them. And being endangered also means they are not domesticated pets. They need to be protected in their natural habitat, and to let them live a peaceful life there. Average ppl like us, will not be able to provide the animals with a home like their natural habitat, thus further endangering their lives. And also i believe many of u know, not many wild animals can be bred effectively in captivity, not even zoos. Thus, those rules. Also, not all of us are responsible pet owners. Just look at the SARS period, just heard rumour of civet cats the origins of SARS, next day, got ppl abandon the poor animal. The civet cat is not a legal pet too.

I am not from AVA nor supports them, just because they are culling my favourite cat!!! I am extremely pissed by the incident.

heh..guess I am one of the few truly responsible owners then...I would never abandon my animals even if i go bankrupt. If I have to skip 3 meals a day just to feed them, no problem for me.

How do you define domesticated? There are many domesticated lizards. Take leopard geckos for an example. There are even albinos and dozens of other morphs available. It's such an easy pet that can even be kept by a primary 1 student. It's not in any way endangered nor harmful..and it's still banned. Domestication just an anthropology term. I could say my yellow tang is domesticated too.

The person who abandoned the civet cat is an utter moron. If his cat had sars he would have been dead by now already. Furthermore, sars originated from china...not sg. Wonder was he thinking...if he could think at all that is...

Many so called 'hard-to-keep' stuff can be easily kept by the average layman as long as they do their research. Just like the marine hobby whereby adequate research is needed. Compared to 10 years ago, many stuff can easily be kept now.

I support captive-breeding all the way..whether endangered or not endangered. Habitats around the world are subjected to unpredictable human influence everyday. If no one were to breed them in captivity, things could become unthinkable if a war suddenly breaks out.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Ya breeding of cos must be encouraged to keep the species going. but we dont knoe wats the ratio of how many irresponsible pet owners against responsible ones ma. its a risk that the governments does not wana invest lor. Abandoned pets in the streets will then pose another set of problems for the government and the ppl and the animal lor. it may not be able to find its food in the streets of singapore when abandoned lor. And there are some perverts among us leh? those who like to burn/boil/staple/kick/throw animals... Don let them haf more options... It takes as easy as a cartoon (eg Finding Nemo), to spark off a rage, but it takes as simple as a snap of a finger for the ppl to change their minds and abandon the animals.

Very true lor, education is very important. just do watever we can to help out lor.