Shrimps

sinner

• SRC Member

was told by se@li*e that before shrimp can be release into tank it need to be realsed into a small basket. coz shrimps are bottom feeders unlike fish they'll dive into the sea bed immediately and that pressure would probably kill them otherwise they'll die of stress...

i brougth 1 cleaner yesterday took the trouble to poke holes in the "tao pao" container released the shrimp in it and 1hr later released into main tank still died after another hour or so... $8 flew alway sigh~ :cry:

would appreciate if fellow reefers could guide me on where i did was wrong or if any other effective method can be implemented...

'Cheers

Pressure???!! LOL!!!

Hello??!

Is our reef tanks more than 5 metres deep? What pressure? LOL!! Sorry... that is the biggest LFS joke I have heard!

The fastest way to kill inverts is NOT to acclimatize them properly before putting them in your tank!

If you measure the salinity and PH of the LFS' water... you may be surprised to find that there is actually quite a substantial difference. Sensitive inverts may go into shock and die if they go from one set of water parameters to another set.

Proper acclimatization means you have to slowly introduce tank water into the bag until they equalise in terms of water parameters like salinity and PH and temp. This has to be done slowly bit by bit with at least 15mins minimum timing. The longer the better until the livestock has adapted or acclimatized itself.

Don't pour the bag water into the tank/poke holes and place bag in tank... you never know what parasites or medication could go into you tank.

Pls double check with reefers before listening to LFS advice - they have proven themselves dubious.

• SRC Member

hMm..i bought my cleaner one mth ago..it's still fine..i tot shrimps are easy to breed? i juz introduce it normally.. let it float on top of the tank..let the temperature be the same.. or b4 introducing.. gradually introduce some of ur tank's water into the bag..not to create any shock to the shrimp due to diff water condition..correct me if im wrong.. ;)

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
Pressure???!! LOL!!!

Hello??!

Is our reef tanks more than 5 metres deep? What pressure? LOL!! Sorry... that is the biggest LFS joke I have heard!

The fastest way to kill inverts is NOT to acclimatize them properly before putting them in your tank!

If you measure the salinity and PH of the LFS' water... you may be surprised to find that there is actually quite a substantial difference. Sensitive inverts may go into shock and die if they go from one set of water parameters to another set.

Proper acclimatization means you have to slowly introduce tank water into the bag until they equalise in terms of water parameters like salinity and PH and temp. This has to be done slowly bit by bit with at least 15mins minimum timing. The longer the better until the livestock has adapted or acclimatized itself.

Don't pour the bag water into the tank/poke holes and place bag in tank... you never know what parasites or medication could go into you tank.

Pls double check with reefers before listening to LFS advice - they have proven themselves dubious.

Hi AT,

Using the acclimatization method you had just described, when I know the fish/shrimp can be released into the main tank? Iday? 1wk?

Does coral/invert need such an acclimatized in such method as well?

:thanks:

Huh? I thought I stated quite clearly? 15 mins minimum... more if the LFS water is very different.

Inverts should be acclimatized just the same. A shrimp is an invert.

Corals... probably you have to. I mean, some people do, some don't. It depends also very much on the LFS water/packing water, esp. temperature. It's still debatable.