New plans

• SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

Considering using T5s for my new reef...

was thinking of using 10 x 39 watts of them on a 3 by 3 square by 1.5 height reef....

Some questions though....

How many tubes can 1 electronic ballast drive???

and whats the price like??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elbiru eballasts are the cheapest option. I think there single ballast units which can fire up 2 tubes.However, some people have commented that it might shorten the life of the tube by rapidly brightening it. I'm using this brand. From late last year till now..so far no problems

Next would be Osram...supposedly better than Elbiru as it slowly starts up the tube instead of the fast surge of current that goes through the tube. Supposedly will increase lifetime of the tube.

One of the best would definitely be Icecap ballasts. Can supported up to 4 tubes per ballast. These can be set to slowly brighten or dim your tank replicating a dawn/dusk effect. I did'nt get them the last time due to the pricing after being converted into SGD. Since you are gonna use 10 T5 tubes the Icecap would be the best bet. As you can simulate different lighting intensities during different periods of the day. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Considering using T5s for my new reef...

was thinking of using 10 x 39 watts of them on a 3 by 3 square by 1.5 height reef....

Some questions though....

How many tubes can 1 electronic ballast drive???

and whats the price like??

Hi joe,

Catching up with the T5 revolution? Danano has indeed proven that T5s rock! E-ballast of Osram brand generally falls in the $60 range and can support 2 T5s. Keep us updated.

Cheers..

• SRC Supporter

Hi joe,

Catching up with the T5 revolution? Danano has indeed proven that T5s rock! E-ballast of Osram brand generally falls in the $60 range and can support 2 T5s. Keep us updated.

Cheers..

AM considering T5s due to the 1.5 height that I'm keen in...

10 x 39 Watts T5s would defnitely give some good light coverage ...

Not doubting MHs though except with a shallow setup... heating issues is something that I would be dealing often....

• SRC Member

Osram ballasts are generally available here for T5s. Depending on the model, they can support either x1 or x2 tubes. There is also a dimming model where you can do dimming. Other brands that have them are the usual Philips and GE.

Icecap ballasts do not dim well, even with the dim modification done :( . Advantage is that they overdrive the bulb so that your 39W should run about 50+W. Not sure about how many 3fts they can support but they can go up to x4 5ft bulbs altho they recommend a max of x3.

If you decide on the osrams, I still have x2 units of the non-dimmable model still available for sale. ;)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Hi joe,

Cheers..

T5 Rocking even before Danano .......

Take a look at the my old tank using T5 only

Maxima's T5 Reef

Tanks ia 3.5x2x2 ft

Running on 9 units of T5.

I see that T5 produce different sort of SPS coloration compare to 400W SE or 250W DE. SPS colors from T5 is of lighter pastel look.

Max

I see that T5 produce different sort of SPS coloration compare to 400W SE or 250W DE. SPS colors from T5 is of lighter pastel look.

Max

Heh...I second that. ;) T5s all the way!

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

T5 Rocking even before Danano .......

Take a look at the my old tank using T5 only

Maxima's T5 Reef

Tanks ia 3.5x2x2 ft

Running on 9 units of T5.

Max

Max, i remember quite sometime ago you made a comment that T5 is no where compare to MH intensity and you got into an argument in this forum ? not to be rude here but just curious to know the reasoning behind this comment. ;)

• SRC Member

The intensity of MH vs T5

I'm assuming NOT DIY, but the best reflectors out there for MH & T5(ATI)

Assume MH at 8 inch from water and T5 3inch from water

Effective Area within extremely high intensity

250W DE 1.5x1.5 ~~~~ 1x1

400W SE 2x2 ~~~~ 1.3x1.3

T5x9 tubes subjective to length No such thing at a focus point

Beside even with the best ATI reflectors T5 will cannot penetrate more than 2ft for medium light corals. A 400W or 250W DE can easily penetrate 2.5ft at the most intense foucs area.

I hope it's petty simple to understand what I meant?

Max

• SRC Member

BTW, my commends bashing on T5 start in SRC 1 right. That's 2 years back? There is not ATI available in S'pore yet. I order direct from Europe Deltec T5 + my DIY. The performance of my DIY was not as good as the current ATI reflectors - I must say that for T5 reflectors is the key.

I think if you want to cut some $$ in electricity, try to design a tank that is less than 2ft depth and 2.5 to 3ft width for T5.

BTW, even most RC reefers using 400W for their SPS tanks has tank no more than 2ft depth...........so what you think about T5 consideration in Tank Design? I'm more talking about extreme of requirements...........just my style - never enough :)

If u ask me to design tank that meet a SPS coloration of another tank running series of 400W. I will have a depth of no more than 1.5ft. This tank is going to look weird..............I'm talking extreme............BTW beside light nearly all/most reefers have problems with parameters, so corals does not color up nicely......so don;t blame on the light. In a lot of cases, the test kit we use already not accurate, so think that you got good parameters, but SPS not color up nicely.... :whistle ...this and that.........

Max