New plans

• SRC Supporter
Elimination of one 250W lamp will save approx $12/month. The reduced water volume should give a significant cost saving in chiller running costs.

I have always placed my chiller in a spare room, or at least a room that is rarely used.

Perhaps it is possible to mount it in a similar fashion to a window unit?

Guess how much I'm gonna save in the future..... :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter
Geez, Joe, how did you come to that brilliant conclusion?! :lol:

Anytime you downgrade from a fully loaded 5 footer to a 2-3 footer, you are going to have to give up your acros.

:P Yup...

Guess... I might start a X'mas sale soon...

Santa Frag.... :angel:

Yea..his frags definitely very nice. Encrust on the rock one. :lol:

Will start making space in my tank..maybe clear 1 or 2 of my softies..and maybe some zoanthids..

Since I live so near to Joe..and I think probably the nearest? Heheh.. :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

My current holding reef is way too small for my acros...

thinkin of getting those huge tubs to house them...

but think gonna have some problems with the hanging of MH lights...

Any ideas??

• SRC Member
:off:

I was thinking of making my wife happy by making a DIY dryer made up of hot air from the chiller exhaust. Especially in this rainy season.

So I save money from buying a commercial dryer and cost of running it.

yazid ... that's exactly wat i have been doing ..... place the clothes at a distant fm the exhaust of the chiller ... instant dryer .... :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

My current holding reef is way too small for my acros...

thinkin of getting those huge tubs to house them...

but think gonna have some problems with the hanging of MH lights...

Any ideas??

Maybe you can use those portable clothes hanger, those that comes with 2 metal stand, buy a few bamboo and then you should be abe to hang the MH on it. I believe al you ballast is external, so you should not have any issues on weight.

• SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

Was going through some planning for my 2.5 sq foot reef

(something that I can jus keep dreaming on till I remove my 5 footer),

was thinking of a reef placed in the corner of my room with rockwalls type of stacking by both sides.... leaving a really large space of sandbed in the centre to front (good for clams, rics and buttons......)

will stick to acro frags epoxied onto the rockwall and wait for them to grow out.......

BTW, might also be thinking of adding some T5s to the single 250W SE configuration.....

Utilising one Stream 6080.....(plan to build fixture to hide it)....

what do you guys think???

• SRC Supporter

Maybe you can use those portable clothes hanger, those that comes with 2 metal stand, buy a few bamboo and then you should be abe to hang the MH on it. I believe al you ballast is external, so you should not have any issues on weight.

Thanks Clowntrigger,

But think theres gonna be a issue with floor space....

Most probably settling with selling some away till jus enough to fit into my holding reef....

guess my new reef jus have to settle for frags instead of colonies...

will keep a few frags of each of my prized colonies for my future reef ......

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

been hunting around for parts when I noticed those flushing device used in those toilet cistern .... so has been cracking my mind the last few hours on how to get a surge device DIYed.....

Think this would be a great addition to my future plans for water movement in my reef....

been thinking of a setup of 2 x 6080s providing mainstream current with maybe a TS 6 for variable water movement ....

Add a surge device projecting about 60 litres of heavy water movement about twice an hour.... and I shuld be getting some really cool water movement in my reef....

What do ya guys think???? B)

• SRC Member
Water splashing and salt spray around the tank is no fun. Your mother will be hunting you down with a mop :P

....not to mention hearing the toilet flushing twice per hour.... :o;)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

BTW, there's this famous Hong Kong Reefer that appear in Advance Aquarist a year or 2 ago. He has a 4x2.5x2.5 ft tank and has packed like 2x400W + 2X250W and adding a surge device on top. The tank is built into a cabinet enclosure, juz like Hon's and when you open the hood from a side hood door, you can see a few kg of salt all sticking all over the lights to cabinet.............................This makes you wonder why he need so much POWER 1300W on a 4ft :blink::blink: The salt spray is affecting the light transmssion thru the glass hood :blink:

BTW, he has 1 HELL of a SPS tank. His Straghon is growing near 2 ft height and Table Milli is bigger than your wdding dinner cold plate :blink::D

Max

• SRC Supporter
Joe try Marine Life i think henry has one device for it ...

Thanks Ming...

Might jus drop by ML for a chat with Henry..

Regarding the surge device, was wondering if there might jus be a possibility to DIY it in such a way so that air would not be trapped into the outflow piping...... :unsure:

• SRC Supporter
surge device sounds good.

preventing micro bubbles from forming can easily be achieved..but hanging something over the tank doesn't look apealing..hang too low, not much surge..hang too high..eye sore..

definitely a eyesore.... but the benefits to the reef definitely outweigh the eyesore..... that is if the development of microbubbles could be prevented.....

Been cracking my head as to how this could be done.... would definitely be glad to have some sound advice from you.. ;)

BTW, seen your latest DIYed product when I was at Hon's place...

Very impressive... :D

I thought the main reason for having a surge device is to increase gaseous exchange and higher dissolved O2 levels? If the splash were to be modified to minimise the microbubbles...wun the effect of a surge device be something like a pulsing Tunze?

• SRC Supporter
I thought the main reason for having a surge device is to increase gaseous exchange and higher dissolved O2 levels? If the splash were to be modified to minimise the microbubbles...wun the effect of a surge device be something like a pulsing Tunze?

Nah... if thats the case..... I would add in some airstones.... :lol:

Having a huge volume of water dumped into a reef in a instant is something most pumps could never achieve.... and it would definitely create one hell of water turbulence.... :lol:

It does create the water movement much experienced by the very much light loving SPS as experienced in their natural environment ....

Ok..Then I think you would have to custom make another canopy...to prevent saltwater droplets from leaking to the sides of your tank. ;)

You are thinking of the dump bucket design? Whereby water from a powerhead fills the bucket constantly..then when the bucket is full it automactically tilts to dump the water before returning to collect more water?

Tsktsk..you can consider ferry wheel designs too... :whistle