New plans

• SRC Supporter

Hi Guys,

This are plans for my new reef tank…

Most probably sticking to a 2.5 square foot with either a 1.5 or 2 foot high reef… with a 6 by 6 inches overflow…. A output of 1.5” and 2 inputs of ½ inches….

Will be heading for a reef located at the corner of my room with 2 angled views ….

Employing 10 mm glass… with eurobracing on the top and bottom…

The 2 front glass might be Starppire or low iron content glass….

Reef would have a 16 inches high canopy housing a 250 W SE MH .(DIYed) with a extra large Parabolic reflector… built to assist in proper spreading of lightsource..

Cabinet would be 3 feet high ….

As space beneath the cabinet is minimal… will be allocating sump and chiller externally….

All other equipments like Calcium reactors, Kalk reactors and top up reservoirs would be allocated under the cabinet….

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter
Good luck to your project. :unsure:

Going to miss your old reef though. Thought you wanted to save space... looks like you'll be taking up as much space now! :wacko:

a 2.5 bu 2.5 reef is only half of what I'm having now...

The best part is the utilisation of only one MH..... Wahahahahaaaa... ;)

Thinking about this is already causing a wide smile on my face... :lol:

The best part is the utilisation of only one MH..... Wahahahahaaaa... ;)

Thinking about this is already causing a wide smile on my face... :lol:

So it's a financial thing after all. :unsure:

He's giving up his established tank and downgrading.

Just hoping he will wait for his dream of 'having intertwined acros ala some RC SPS tanks' to be realised in a year or two... but alas...he's starting all over again.

So sad. So sad.

• SRC Supporter
i'm sorry but what do u mean by saving space... to make things look neater in ur house? cos i tot u already haf an established tank?

Heh... If you have seen my room... you will defintiely understand....

Ever perspire while viewing a reef???? :P

• SRC Member
i'm sorry but what do u mean by saving space... to make things look neater in ur house? cos i tot u already haf an established tank?

Joe got a 5 footer is in his bedroom. :( And his hamster is living in the spacious living room. :P

2.5x2.5 would be the right decision for your bedroom.

If I were him, I would have placed my tank in the hall in the first place! :)

Or create ventilation ports/ducts for his chiller fan output and MH hood to vent it into his corridor.

But Joe, you will still face the prob of chiller exhaust heat... how are you going to cope with that if your reason is to reduce heat in your room?

• SRC Member

:off:

I was thinking of making my wife happy by making a DIY dryer made up of hot air from the chiller exhaust. Especially in this rainy season.

So I save money from buying a commercial dryer and cost of running it.

• SRC Supporter
If I were him, I would have placed my tank in the hall in the first place! :)

Or create ventilation ports/ducts for his chiller fan output and MH hood to vent it into his corridor.

But Joe, you will still face the prob of chiller exhaust heat... how are you going to cope with that if your reason is to reduce heat in your room?

I'm thinking of placing my chiller somewhere else...... still wondering where.... :blink:

The usage of 1 MH and lower water volume should lower the chiller running time ... that alone is a "plus" factor

• SRC Member

I was thinking of making my wife happy by making a DIY dryer made up of hot air from the chiller exhaust. Especially in this rainy season.

Then you need a chiller timetable for yr wife to tell her what is the estimated time for yr chiller to start. :P

• SRC Member

I'm thinking of placing my chiller somewhere else...... still wondering where.... :blink:

The usage of 1 MH and lower water volume should lower the chiller running time ... that alone is a "plus" factor

Hey Joe,

You can try the bathroom, then you can bathe without using the heater, save even more money. :D

• SRC Member

Heh... If you have seen my room... you will defintiely understand....

Ever perspire while viewing a reef???? :P

whoopz.. before i scrolled down and read what the rest of the guys meant by "heat" i tot u meant something else... :P

but then again i'm sure u meant 'that' partly as well... cool idea... tank in the bedroom...

but on a serious note.. i'm sure air-conditioning would make every 'living thing' in ur bedroom happy?

• SRC Supporter

whoopz.. before i scrolled down and read what the rest of the guys meant by "heat" i tot u meant something else... :P

but then again i'm sure u meant 'that' partly as well... cool idea... tank in the bedroom...

but on a serious note.. i'm sure air-conditioning would make every 'living thing' in ur bedroom happy?

Frankly jOO, I still dun get you...

What "heat" are you referring too??? :angel:

• SRC Member

hahaha I already did that. placed my chiller in the kitchen. Whenever I hang my clothes up after washing, they dry in an hr due to the chiller heat exhaust.

:D

Elimination of one 250W lamp will save approx $12/month. The reduced water volume should give a significant cost saving in chiller running costs.

I have always placed my chiller in a spare room, or at least a room that is rarely used.

Perhaps it is possible to mount it in a similar fashion to a window unit?

Eh? Pespire while viewing reef? I sure did.. :lol:

Anyway..Joe...why not you just air condition the whole room and use ur chiller as supplementary cooling?

Then you can have your Jacksons. :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/