RedSea Berlin Protien Skimmer

Acanthurus pyroferus

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if u compare the RSB classic (modified needle wheel) with a same price range H&S, euroreef or EV series skimmer..personally I think RSB with perform equally as gd or better.

still very hard to conclude...

ok...the RSB and other needlewheels probably can match each other in method since needlewheel vs needlewheel...

but how about sheer volume in the skimmer?

it's a matter of the triple pass vs the fat and tall deltecs/H&S/euroreefs for the same price range....

remember, the triple pass consists of inner tube, middle tube and outer tube for the triple pass...the total volume may still...not be able to match the single big volume of those single pass skimmers of the same price range

oh yeah... why not DIY a H&S or Deltec skimmer incorporate the triple pass technology.. won't that be better!!!

if redsea or DIYer ever make a triple pass skimmer based on the berlin as huge and tall as the other skimmers...then it will be up there with the big boys sharing the honours...no doubt...

then there is no volume advantage from the other skimmers liao :D

but to ignore volume advantage and say the berlin classic can process on par as the larger skimmers...i think it's just ignoring the truth :rolleyes:

there you got it too! so let's compare apple to apple...not apple to orange mah!

so u want to help me diy one??/ heheh

that's why i said that abit unfair also to compare the small berlin to the larger skimmers....

but Acanthurus pyroferus still feels that the small berlin is probably even better than the other skimmers and refuse to accept the inherent disadvantage of the berlin due to its size.... ;)

eh...i not a very hands-on person...just an impatient reefer who needs larger skimmers to sustain my impatient style of reefing ;)

lots of DIY gurus here ;) just not me :lol:

• SRC Member

BTW.. personally I find RSB sucks if w/o the needlewheel technology! Cos I own one mah..but after alvy help me mod the pump...I can say it's cool! But for it's to skim a 6ft tank....whether it's effective....dunno cos never own such a big tank... But definitely gd for a fully stock 3ft tank!

dose the euro reef and h&s comes with pump?

ok...for H&S, their insump models include the needlewheel pump which actually draws the water as well, so u do not need to get another pump....

for their outsump models, the needlewheel pump will recirculate water in the chamber and draw air to chop but you need an external pump to feed it...in my case, i use a pump to push water through my UV sterilizer and then into the H&S :)

for euro-reef, not too sure, but i am sure you can get information from PReef :)

BTW.. personally I find RSB sucks if w/o the needlewheel technology! Cos I own one mah..but after alvy help me mod the pump...I can say it's cool! But for it's to skim a 6ft tank....whether it's effective....dunno cos never own such a big tank... But definitely gd for a fully stock 3ft tank!

yeah..only the turbo upgrade has the needlewheel...definitely improves perfomance over the berlin classic....

at least it doesnt sux too badly now with the needlewheel pump and serves your tank well...you should be happy...

definitely any skimmer can support a 6ft or larger tank, it's how the tank is stocked up and the final stock amount.....

if you just stock corals with no fish, you can probably do without a skimmer even...in this case, weipro, macro,RSB, AquaC, euroreef or watever will be fine...

but if you start increasing the amount of livestock in the 6ft, you will need a larger skimmer as you move up in the numbers of fishes especially...

so if you just have a small skimmer in a 6ft, you may find yourself limiting the amount of livestock you can have, whereas those with larger skimmers can stock significantly more ;)

• SRC Member

OBJECTION!!!! my RSB now is is superb condition! hahah... of course after modification. Oh..talking abt the turbo upgrade..I find it's still sux... well I actually received a FOC 12 or 18 blade impellor from Yi Yu after I wrote a nasty complain to ReaSeaFish Farm. Try it's out..found bubbles not that fine.. use back the modified impellor instead! maybe they send me the wrong impellor??? dunno how it's call needlewheel technology by them when it's still employ those blade type.. so much different from the others skimmer

OBJECTION!!!! my RSB now is is superb condition! hahah... of course after modification. Oh..talking abt the turbo upgrade..I find it's still sux... well I actually received a FOC 18 blade impellor from Yi Yu after I wrote a nasty complain to ReaSeaFish Farm. Try it's out..found bubbles not that fine.. use back the modified impellor instead! maybe they send me the wrong impellor??? dunno how it's call needlewheel technology by them when it's still employ those blade type.. so much different from the others skimmer

yeah.....

that's why even for deltec/H&S/euroreef that all uses needlewheel method, there are differences in impeller design as well as skimmer design...

so alvy's impeller for the berlin is better than redsea's one even ah...wahh.... :D

but glad you are happy with your redsea berlin now, there is nothing terribly wrong with it...but just dun compare it with the big boys :lol:

it is good, small, cute and effective for normal low-med demand applications :)

oh wow....talk and talk and more talk putting the RSB down.... <_<

my current tank is alot more in terms of volume so don't be surprised because regardless of the nagativity you've just mentioned....lets just wait.....because I will have the last laugh...... :lol:

no lah...i have succumbed to your strong positive views of the RSB classic and getting a redsea berlin XL with turbo upgrade soon...very soon :lol:

precisely you have a big tank with large water volume which is more accomodating to stocking rate plus your great patience plus your powerful berlin classic....you will do well, no doubt about that...in your self imposed time frame....but no everyone has patience, a great tank and a great skimmer like yours ;)

but since the volume is so huge and the skimmer is so powerful, i hope to see a whole school of about 80-90 anthias with about 10 or more med adult tangs in a years time by proportion ;)

but oops...that's not your kind of reef hor.....paiseh :paiseh: not everyone is fish crazy like me :P

but seriously, do you have any objective technical plus points about the RSB classic to add? :)

so far i have only provided the technical minus points while agreeing with the triple-pass plus point... ;)

• SRC Member

that's why i said that abit unfair also to compare the small berlin to the larger skimmers....

but Acanthurus pyroferus still feels that the small berlin is probably even better than the other skimmers and refuse to accept the inherent disadvantage of the berlin due to its size.... ;)

eh...i not a very hands-on person...just an impatient reefer who needs larger skimmers to sustain my impatient style of reefing ;)

lots of DIY gurus here ;) just not me :lol:

not that I refuse but I choose to trust it when I had my 6 footer....so theres a difference from what you mentioned.

why spent crazy amounts of money (unless you're rich, then I have nothing to say ) when theres value in what I believe in....simply nothing wrong with that..... ;)

Like I said I am selling RSB just stating my experience from what I know.....so don't buy and believe what other people and the net tells you....simple as that..... <_<

• SRC Member

no lah...i have succumbed to your strong positive views of the RSB classic and getting a redsea berlin XL with turbo upgrade soon...very soon :lol:

precisely you have a big tank with large water volume which is more accomodating to stocking rate plus your great patience plus your powerful berlin classic....you will do well, no doubt about that...in your self imposed time frame....but no everyone has patience, a great tank and a great skimmer like yours ;)

but since the volume is so huge and the skimmer is so powerful, i hope to see a whole school of about 80-90 anthias with about 10 or more med adult tangs in a years time by proportion ;)

but oops...that's not your kind of reef hor.....paiseh :paiseh:

but seriously, do you have any objective technical plus points about the RSB classic to add? :)

so far i have only provided the technical minus points while agreeing with the triple-pass plus point... ;)

personally I am a person with little talk and more to action because it's louder then just words alone because I see myself going up against reefers who either has not experienced the kind of reef I have kept or choose to believe otherwise...so I am alone in this..... :( Like I said I can't justify myself with just words alone as it isn't enough.

Basically you explained everything in there so theres no point going up against something I can't prove. Pictures speaks louder then words...... :lol:

Bro Weileong wants to see 5 medium size tangs and feed 5 times a day so thats what I'll do then but you guys would just have to wait for the outcome....thats all.

I am not a show off or will get it done right away because I practise patience with this hooby so thats my style and others have theirs.....simple as that...... ;)

hmm...if i had used a weipro on a previous 6ft tank with sps/lps with considerable fish load and had great results just like your previous 6ft tank..

probably i would be able to understand your point of view better...but from various technical/physical perspectives, i am just trying to say that this skimmer has inherent limitations, primarily of the size, and want other bros here to consider all the good points of this skimmer from you...as well as the minus points of the skimmer from me and other bros before buying it....

we are not saying your skimmer is lousy and you made a bad choice, thus you need not vehemently defend the skimmer that it served your 6ft to a dream....

it suited your style of reefing to a dream, but not everyone can follow your good reefing habits/style and thus they should consider if they are getting this skimmer or any other skimmer...

just like other skimmers may be technically superior, but they tend to consume huge amounts of electricity, that itself is a major minus point also... ;)