OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

Bro, the second one I think mis-ID not a Angulatus...

Ya it's not right. So it's a filament flasher? Or bell's flasher? I always cannot tell the difference between the two, they are harder than the clarki complex!

Ya it's not right. So it's a filament flasher? Or bell's flasher? I always cannot tell the difference between the two, they are harder than the clarki complex!

Should be Filament... Bell Flasher have much finer details on the face and body or at least that is how I distinguish... LOL...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

that's neither a bell's flasher nor an angulatus flasher.

it's the solomon island variation of the filamented flasher wrasse. LCK has some now.

the dorsal fin is full yellow and the tail is flanked by two very long and red filaments and borders. middle of tail is clear. that's the key characteristic for the solomon is. variation. the pure yellow dorsal fin. and all of it is yellow.

bell's flasher is very easy to differentiate. the body has no lines like filamentosus, but more of a scrawled marking with a combination of short lines and spots. the tail filament is extremely long and the middle area of the tail is yellow. the yellow tail and body pattern is key characteristic for bell's flasher.

for angulatus, the tail is very lunated and dorsal and ###### fins are long and sharp, and point out of the body like a cursor. the fins have no filaments.

• SRC Member

omg... M3morph brought in Candy Basslet? ZOMG...... but wouldn't it look fantastic in a pico!! LOL

I think pico will be too small for them. Maybe a 2footer will be more suitable.

Cheers

• Senior Reefer

yes M3 brought in a gorgeous carmabi and they have another one for sale now.

not a rare fish and readily available upon request, but the steep price puts most buyers at bay. but the colours are gorgeous and those who pay for it will enjoy every moment.

• Senior Reefer

I'm not quite sure what's the exact name for this goby.

I'm leaning towards Priolepis borea. But it does look like P. cincta too.

anyway whatever it is, it's related to the popular "full moon, or white tiger goby or nocturnal goby" (Priolepis nocturna). Same genus.

Thanks M3MORPH for bringing this rare little fish in. I hope it does well with my P. nocturna.

been awhile since i last saw this. i think reborn brought in some before

post-15755-0-37883000-1300933557_thumb.j

• SRC Member

They are a very cute fishes. The way they hop from rocks to rocks and sometimes even spotted them swimming upside down on the water surface.

btw, any idea what is the diff in appearance between Priolepis borea and P.cincta? Our supplier listed them as P.cinta. If google is to trust, P.borea doesn't seem to have the pointed dorsa fin seen in P.cincta.

Cheers

• Senior Reefer

They are a very cute fishes. The way they hop from rocks to rocks and sometimes even spotted them swimming upside down on the water surface.

btw, any idea what is the diff in appearance between Priolepis borea and P.cincta? Our supplier listed them as P.cinta. If google is to trust, P.borea doesn't seem to have the pointed dorsa fin seen in P.cincta.

Cheers

yes.

exactly.

P. cincta does not have the pointed dorsal, while P. borea does.

they are very similar in appearance and might even be in the same "complex". i'm not very good with gobies. moreover, Priolepis is not a very well known genus. so the information is difficult to find, but not impossible.

the best way is the know the exact location of both cincta and borea, and trace the location in which this specimen come from.

if the range does not overlap , then most likely they are in the same complex brought upon by allopatric speciation. hence the strong similarities.

if range overlaps, it could be different species brought upon by niche speciation, or just a variation.

very interesting right?