OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Was reading tanaka's facebook.

he was talking to brian greene and brian says he "owes" tanaka a earlei and a belle's flasher. i think he's going to catch for tanaka!

omg i want to see the bellae.

Was reading tanaka's facebook.

he was talking to brian greene and brian says he "owes" tanaka a earlei and a belle's flasher. i think he's going to catch for tanaka!

omg i want to see the bellae.

Haha ya heard he's gg to make a comeback. US pple are now all awaiting his return to catch some deep rare wrasses like before.

Chaetodon Robustus in an SPS tank, often come in with marcellae butterfly in west african shipment. Quite a nice fish and dun mind trying again if it comes in.

Yes, it is nice... But why did yours die ah? i only saw it at SL before only..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Yes, it is nice... But why did yours die ah? i only saw it at SL before only..

Mine died because of ick. Also it does not feed readily, need some time one. I got mine from SL also, and hav only seen it in SL before. Pinnacle, LCK only brought in marcellae and no robustus.

• Senior Reefer

i finally caught out that ridiculously aggressive white bar maculosus. as gorgeous and as healthy and rare as it is, i can't stand for something that literally bites new fishes and even chase old fish.

so easy to catch since my scape is so open and have so little rocks. i just needed to remove 2 rocks and can catch with a net liao.

anyway digi if you're getting it, i hope you can keep it long enough for it to grow into a huge show stopper. if you're not getting it, i'll donate to iwarna's display tank.

should be fine with you since your fish are quite big. mine just wants to wack all the smaller angels like my venustus and flame.

• Senior Reefer

tanaka's true temminckii from japan.

can see the non displaying photo that the top part is a reddish/orange and the bottom part is dark green. however the colour appears to be more intense than the ones at iwarna and reborn.

maybe because this one looks much bigger.

post-15755-086109500 1283735021_thumb.jp

tanaka's true temminckii from japan.

can see the non displaying photo that the top part is a reddish/orange and the bottom part is dark green. however the colour appears to be more intense than the ones at iwarna and reborn.

maybe because this one looks much bigger.

OMG, this guy is a whooping 12cm leh.. Almost 4 inch!!! Anyway those at Iwarna are confirmed this varient but it is so fierce... But dun think still there after we confirm it is the true temmickii...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

OMG, this guy is a whooping 12cm leh.. Almost 4 inch!!! Anyway those at Iwarna are confirmed this varient but it is so fierce... But dun think still there after we confirm it is the true temmickii...

still there. i keep 2 in a tank just incase any of us decide to go and get it hahaha.

anyway temminckii very fierce lah. i dun wan.

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus katherinae

similar to the true temminckii, but has a green band on the dorsal region, followed by a red band then a green belly.

my favourite of all the temminckii complex.

one very good method for differentiating different fairy wrasses from similar complex is the way they flash. every different species of Cirrhilabrus will exhibit different nuptial colours. no 2 species will have the same colours and patterns while flashing.

anyway here's a harem of female katherin's fairy. and a male.

post-15755-025922800 1283738222_thumb.jp

post-15755-067356300 1283738294_thumb.jp

post-15755-082953700 1283738302_thumb.jp

post-15755-084146400 1283738309_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

in the temminckii complex, there are four valid confirmed species.

those are

Cirrhilabrus balteatus

Cirrhilabrus katherinae

Cirrhilabrus punctatus

Cirrhilabrus temminckii

Balteatus is from Marshalls, Katherinae from Japan, Temminckii from Japan as well as Philippines

So then all the other intermediate complex originating from Indonesia and Philippine, i have no idea what they are.

Cirrhilabrus katherinae

similar to the true temminckii, but has a green band on the dorsal region, followed by a red band then a green belly.

my favourite of all the temminckii complex.

one very good method for differentiating different fairy wrasses from similar complex is the way they flash. every different species of Cirrhilabrus will exhibit different nuptial colours. no 2 species will have the same colours and patterns while flashing.

anyway here's a harem of female katherin's fairy. and a male.

On 2nd look, Those at iwarna does looks a bit like katherine... LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus marjorie.

Cirrhilabrus marjorie is endemic only to Fiji. They live in harems like most other fairys, and stay relatively small. Males are gorgeously coloured with red and white. The white belly will display some horizontal stripes. A cute little pink spot is present on the nape.

now flooding the market worldwide.

the first picture shows the cover page for the original report in which C. marjorie was described. Of course should know by now that C. marjorie was described by Bruce Carlson and Allen, and named after Carlson's wife, Marj.

Marjorie is my favourite fairy wrasse since i've come to know about it. I mean come on look at it.

2nd picture shows a male in the wild with a superimposed picture of a female. Look at the male. Dorsal fin erected, tail is closed, ventral fins tucked in, it looks like it's flashing. But why are the colours still same? Unless it's just swimming quickly. Maybe the nuptial colours for Marjorie is same as it's normal colouration. just abit more intensified.

Normal cirrhilabrus will exhibit white or blue metallic patches while flashing.

anyway 3rd photo is how all C. marjorie will arrive. This is their fright colour and the whole fish will turn orange, even the white belly. This will lead many aquarist to think that Marjorie is a rubbish fish upon shipment, and luckily for those who know what Marjorie looks like, they will snap them up quickly before the colours revert to normal and everyone will make a hoo ha over it's obvious beauty.

and finally the last photo is how a healthy, active marjorie will look like after being acclimated from shipping. the 3rd photo and the male in 4th photo are the same specimen.

This ends my short description on (IMO), the most beautiful fairy wrasse in the world. A gorgeous Fijian endemic that stays rather small, peaceful, with colours that not many will appreciate. But nonetheless, an exciting new comer to the hobby!

Photo credited to Dr. H. Tanaka.

post-15755-076730100 1283739553_thumb.jp

post-15755-029477700 1283739574_thumb.jp

post-15755-019371500 1283739757_thumb.jp

post-15755-016240000 1283739789_thumb.jp

Mine died because of ick. Also it does not feed readily, need some time one. I got mine from SL also, and hav only seen it in SL before. Pinnacle, LCK only brought in marcellae and no robustus.

Lets wait for SL shipment again lor..

They are quite nice..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Yet another exciting new comer to our hobby is this unidentified fairy wrasse.

Cirrhilabrus sp.

It is closely related to Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus, the hooded wrasse.

This gorgeous specimen originates from Tonga and is sometimes called the Nahackyi wrasse.

Photo credited by Dr. H. Tanaka, as well as reefers in RC.

post-15755-036624500 1283740181_thumb.jp

post-15755-081922500 1283740186_thumb.jp

post-15755-047306500 1283740191_thumb.jp

post-15755-066985100 1283740200_thumb.jp

post-15755-087881000 1283740205_thumb.jp

post-15755-075156600 1283750095_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Paracheilinus mccoskeri

Not a new comer to the hobby, and a staple flasher wrasse worldwide, the Mccosker flasher wrasse boast of two different regional colour forms.

the more commonly encountered one is the first photo. commonly found in Maldives.

the other rarer one is the African variant, with an entirely red anal fin and tail.

gorgeous. never seen the African one before.

post-15755-034666900 1283740378_thumb.jp

post-15755-014748200 1283740383_thumb.jp