OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

I thought it all looked like Carpenteri to you? But seriously I cant tell the difference other than the location caught and name..

Exactly i cant tell the difference also so i'll unlikely spend 900 on a bell flasher.. Below is a common filament flasher and i cannot see much difference:

p_90161-filmented-flasher.jpg

These fishes are in SG now? thats candy basslet right? (2nd pic..)

Which fishes are u referring to??

If u are referring to the japanese fishes, den no! And the second pic is not a candy basslet but a hogfish.

• Senior Reefer

some of chingchai's super rare fishes..

Paracirrhites xanthus aka the super rare and beautiful golden hawkfish.

and his ventralis anthias from hawaii and marshall islands respectively (they are different species)

post-15755-0-14118200-1300089611_thumb.j

post-15755-0-87299700-1300089627_thumb.j

post-15755-0-81295100-1300089658_thumb.j

post-15755-0-17917800-1300089676_thumb.j

some of chingchai's super rare fishes..

Paracirrhites xanthus aka the super rare and beautiful golden hawkfish.

and his ventralis anthias from hawaii and marshall islands respectively (they are different species)

I think... maybe the hawaii ventralis would be dead by now. Maybe the new ventralis also...

• SRC Member

Exactly i cant tell the difference also so i'll unlikely spend 900 on a bell flasher.. Below is a common filament flasher and i cannot see much difference:

p_90161-filmented-flasher.jpg

Seems like the bell has lots of pattern on it body. Nice.

i love Chingchai's golden hawkfish... i believe it was given to him by a Japanese reefer iirc.

Haha no one will be so nice to give away such an expensive fish!

Chingchai bought the yellow hawkfish from Japan BlueHarbour.

With so many deepwater hawaii fishes collected recently, is there anything else down there that is still worth catching for the trade?

Yes! There is a v beautiful and v deep water fish in hawaii (see video link below). The Grammatonotus macrophthalmus. It can be found in Japan water also. This fish is v deep much more than prognathode basabei depth! It is found 300m to 500m, that is >1000 feet! It will never survive being pulled out from such great depth, so likely never to appear in this hobby.

2572531291_7a74412976.jpg

Video: http://www.hawaiianatolls.org/video/HURL/HURL_GramFish.mov

Are these reef-safe?

No they are not considered reef-safe, but they are not too destructive either. Kept them well fed and they should be fine in a reef tank.

All three are from africa, in order of the pics, leucopleura (came in from Iwarna twice), blackburni (M3 has some to offer now if anyone is interested), dolosus (saw at CF once thru east africa shipment and i believe LCK can bring in too). All three are obtainable and not expensive.

• Senior Reefer

blackburn is not available at M3 now. it's only coming in around april.

it's a very rare butterfly from Africa. seldom show up in the trade.

dolosus is the safest of the three. it's behaviour is similar to citrinellus, guentheri, miliaris etc. i.e, partial plankton feeder as well as benthic. very easy to feed since their diet is very wide ranging in the wild.

• Senior Reefer

With so many deepwater hawaii fishes collected recently, is there anything else down there that is still worth catching for the trade?

Yes! There is a v beautiful and v deep water fish in hawaii (see video link below). The Grammatonotus macrophthalmus. It can be found in Japan water also. This fish is v deep much more than prognathode basabei depth! It is found 300m to 500m, that is >1000 feet! It will never survive being pulled out from such great depth, so likely never to appear in this hobby.

2572531291_7a74412976.jpg

Video: http://www.hawaiianatolls.org/video/HURL/HURL_GramFish.mov

OH MY GOD!

look at the way it gracefully emerges from the darkness. the tail so flamboyant. it's so legendary.

OH MY GOD!

look at the way it gracefully emerges from the darkness. the tail so flamboyant. it's so legendary.

Exactly. There's another v deepwater anthias down there in hawaii that if available will make H.fuscipinnis look cheap and common!

odontanthias elizabethae

22748_large.jpg

After Roa Excelsa, the only possibly new and rare ones from hawaii will be anthias like these from the deep dark bottom! Dun understand why they hav to be so beautiful when it is total darkness down there.

P. aculeatus at LADD.

i want prognathodes butterflies :(

Email M3Seekers, so they will time to start sourcing and by the time u return they would hav found one.