OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

if it's not that red means it's balteatus. if it doesn't have the yellow band just below the dorsal fin, it's not katherinae also.

female and male katherinae is very red.

anyway katherinae now is unobtainable. It's found only in Japan and Guam. there's no more collection in Guam, so Japan is the only way you can get C. katherinae now. But forget it lah, none have been collected and i don't think they even bother about it.

it's a very common fish and found in shallow water, 10-40m.

Alot of people mix up katherinae with the temminckii complex and balteatus. but i've not seen a true katherinae yet, even in RC. Only the one LADD posted.. maybe someone still has one? Guam collection was still going on few years ago.

Snorvich from RC has a katherinae but i've not seen a photo of it. so dunno if it's the real katherinae or some other temmincki complex.

Yup... Maybe it is just a sub male Balteatus... LOL... The female Katherinae is actually not that bad for a female fairy, I quite like the color combination...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

an un-identified fairy wrasse from Cebu, Philippines.

This photo belongs to Dr. Tanaka.

It does not look like any of the temmincki variants, but look alomst identical to C. katherinae.

It is not the one we found at iwarna last time. that one was actually a temmincki variant or the true temmincki.

C. katherinae has only been reported to be found in the Marianas, Guam. It is found in Japan too, but not reported to be found in Cebu.

So what wrasse is this. Neither a temmincki nor a katherinae?

The colouration and finnage is that of katherinae and the pectoral fin base has a black spot too!

post-15755-069557200 1288839282_thumb.jp

terryz in that photo of the katherinae harem i posted, there's actually a nice alpha male that's hidden way back and covered by the females.

i zoomed in and circled it.

very nice!

LOL... I didnt even notice that... only less than half the body seen...

The photo you posted looks like temmincki a lot... Anyway the temmicki complex is just so confusing... LOL..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

So many pictures posted on beautiful male Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus with beautiful emerald green fins.

but here's something rarer. the FEMALE lanceolatus.

uglier, duller, but lesser seen.

post-15755-088101200 1288891632_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Not all hybrids are naturally beautiful. Well, some are, like in the case of the Multibar X Venustus angel hybrid. Both parent species are nice, but when hybridized, the resulting progeny was an EXQUISITE WORK OF ART.

Back to my initial sentence. Not all hybrids are beautiful. One good example is the hybrid between the crescent tail wrasse and the pintail wrasse.

Cirrhilabrus lunatus X Cirrhilabrus cf lanceolatus (Yet to be described).

What will the offspring look like of these two beautiful fishes?

post-15755-025745800 1288891918_thumb.jp

post-15755-092853500 1288891923_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

The resulting hybrid will look like this.

The tail is a partial cross, showing characteristics of a lunated and lanceolated tail.

The offspring looks uglier than either of the parent species.

post-15755-039224900 1288892022_thumb.jp

post-15755-064542500 1288892029_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki has a few forms.

This is the rarest of the three forms, and it looks the most different. lubbock's fairy wrasse are either purple, magenta or in this case, white.

the white form is the rarest amongst all forms, but in this case "rare" does not mean hard to find. It simply means it's the most scarce amongst all three variants.

The white form of Lubbock's fairy is sporadically avaialble from the Philippines.

post-15755-020840200 1288892208_thumb.jp

Lemon, u got any pic of niger angelfish? I saw at glassbox design. I dunno how to cut n paste. It look cool. From japan. I tink terry will love it... Lol...

chaetodontoplus niger pics has been posted in this thread several times, below is one posted again:

kashiwajima-2008-june-niger-angel-small-wm2.jpg

Below are achilles X nigricans and a aberrant asfur (from Copps). Should have took a pic of steven asfur with a deformed head, it'll sure raise a lot of interests.

post-10328-083110300 1288916492_thumb.jp

post-10328-042163500 1288916500_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

chaetodontoplus niger pics has been posted in this thread several times, below is one posted again:

kashiwajima-2008-june-niger-angel-small-wm2.jpg

Below are achilles X nigricans and a aberrant asfur (from Copps). Should have took a pic of steven asfur with a deformed head, it'll sure raise a lot of interests.

holy cow the asfur is gorgeoussssss

• Senior Reefer

Lemon, u got any pic of niger angelfish? I saw at glassbox design. I dunno how to cut n paste. It look cool. From japan. I tink terry will love it... Lol...

chaetodontoplus niger is very very rare. only a few specimens have ever been seen and the first specimen was caught accidently by trawling.

it's black but it's one of the nicest angels in this genus. IMO.

• Senior Reefer

Thanx bro... Really hope will be able to c e niger angel in e future...

this is one angel you will never be able to see.

Only a few pictures has been taken by Koji Wada and it's a deepwater angel found in Japan and South China Seas.

But who knows? one day in the near future we might be able to see one being collected, but sure to be sold at obscenely high prices. or might not even be sold and kept as personal collection by the collector.

post-15755-047791000 1288928396_thumb.jp

post-15755-010920700 1288928407_thumb.jp

post-15755-028804900 1288928429_thumb.jp