OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

nice and seldom seen wrasses for sale at LADD today.

What wrasses are these and from where?

LADD's cook island helfrichi.

This is awesome, someday i'll get it! Hope steven is hearing this.

LADD's P. guyanensis, trio of ventralis, tri of ventralis (1 changing), P. aya x P. guyanensis hybrid, SUPER RED L. carmabi, C. katherinae!! and a group of v rare A. townsendi.

The male katherinae looks a lot like balteatus. The townsendi is my number one most wanted cardinals. Hope steven or RB will bring in one day.

• Senior Reefer

What wrasses are these and from where?

This is awesome, someday i'll get it! Hope steven is hearing this.

The male katherinae looks a lot like balteatus. The townsendi is my number one most wanted cardinals. Hope steven or RB will bring in one day.

the first wrasse is Oxycheilinus nigromarginatus from fiji and the 2nd one is an initial phase of Halichoeres hartzfeldii from indonesia.

the katherinae looks like balteatus but there's clear differences too. balteatus is black top, white bottom with an orange patch.

• Senior Reefer

Dun this one looks like the "female" Balteatus we saw at CF on Monday?

female balteatus is very very rare in the trade. females are very seldom brought in. but CF and iwarna bring in few times before.

the picture posted by LADD is definitely NOT a female balteatus... female balteatus are just drab rusty red with a whitish belly with faint brown lines near the head.

katherinae is red with a white belly and a thin green margin on the dorsal region.

the picture by liveaquaria is a male katherinae, final!! NOT BALTEATUS!!!

anyway katherinae and balteatus are very similar and closely related.

this is male and female balteatus. doesnt look anything like katherinae.

females of BOTH katherinae AND balteatus however, look similar. difference is female katherinae have yellow dorsal area.

post-15755-076945100 1288836554_thumb.jp

post-15755-035928600 1288836559_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

the fantastic and ultra rare japanese scooter blenny. i've posted a few pictures of them before.

this fish is offered in Bluehabour's and other japanese stocklist. it's available if you want, and can be ordered in. but it's cold water species that will not do well in our tanks.

Neosynchiropus ijimai

post-15755-055253700 1288836877_thumb.jp

female balteatus is very very rare in the trade. females are very seldom brought in. but CF and iwarna bring in few times before.

the picture posted by LADD is definitely NOT a female balteatus... female balteatus are just drab rusty red with a whitish belly with faint brown lines near the head.

katherinae is red with a white belly and a thin green margin on the dorsal region.

the picture by liveaquaria is a male katherinae, final!! NOT BALTEATUS!!!

anyway katherinae and balteatus are very similar and closely related.

this is male and female balteatus. doesnt look anything like katherinae.

females of BOTH katherinae AND balteatus however, look similar. difference is female katherinae have yellow dorsal area.

Yup, I know... Just that the katherinae looks so like the female balteatus at CF... LOL... But again, I only took a few glance at the female balteatus, so cant really remember the detail, only know it dun have the yellow patch and it is not really that red either, maybe a morphing male bah...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Yup, I know... Just that the katherinae looks so like the female balteatus at CF... LOL... But again, I only took a few glance at the female balteatus, so cant really remember the detail, only know it dun have the yellow patch and it is not really that red either, maybe a morphing male bah...

if it's not that red means it's balteatus. if it doesn't have the yellow band just below the dorsal fin, it's not katherinae also.

female and male katherinae is very red.

anyway katherinae now is unobtainable. It's found only in Japan and Guam. there's no more collection in Guam, so Japan is the only way you can get C. katherinae now. But forget it lah, none have been collected and i don't think they even bother about it.

it's a very common fish and found in shallow water, 10-40m.

Alot of people mix up katherinae with the temminckii complex and balteatus. but i've not seen a true katherinae yet, even in RC. Only the one LADD posted.. maybe someone still has one? Guam collection was still going on few years ago.

Snorvich from RC has a katherinae but i've not seen a photo of it. so dunno if it's the real katherinae or some other temmincki complex.