OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

The diver collector in this photo, Rob Lower (nick scubarob on RC), died yesterday due to deep dive maladies after a collection trip in Kauai Hawaii. RIP.

Rob-lower-angelfish.jpg

News on ReefBuilder.

omg!

i woke up this morning and saw his face on reefbuilders, and thought he caught another one. i was so happy and was going to post here!

until i read slowly and found out that he died.

although i don't know him, his smile is very endearing and he seems like a nice man. i've seen a video of him catching a juvenile bandit angel before and he was very happy. he definitely loves his job and it was a shame to have lost someone like him.

R.I.P

here's some videos of him in action.

• Senior Reefer

difference between 4 very similar butterflies. although all 4 are similar looking, each pair are similar looking towards their own.

Chaetodon falcula, C. ulietensis.

Cheatodon oxycephalus, C. lineolatus

C. falcula differs from C. ulietensis by having two smaller saddles in the yellow region. Ulietensis has two very large black saddles and no yellow on the body.

Oxycephalus has a spot on it's head. Lineolatus does not.

common fishes but always mistakenly ID-ed. gorgeous all of them nonetheless.

post-15755-020305700 1284349040_thumb.jp

post-15755-089532300 1284349043_thumb.jp

post-15755-016379900 1284349049_thumb.jp

post-15755-011699000 1284349057_thumb.jp

more pictures of the pintail fairy.

they come out of Cebu, Japan and Taiwan.

Hopefully we will get to see it accidently shipped from Cebu via Philippines shipments at CF, iwarna or ah beng.

Very unlikely due to the bright color it have... it would have been taken out already..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Very unlikely due to the bright color it have... it would have been taken out already..

not true.

in US, these specimens are obtained either from Liveaquaria or wholesale centers.

some lucky wholesalers will bring in by accident the big colourful males. but often, juvenile ones are brought in which are less colourful and look like juvenile flasher wrasses.

juvenile is still good as it's still very rare and can grow to bigger males.

just like when naokoae first came in by accident.

not true.

in US, these specimens are obtained either from Liveaquaria or wholesale centers.

some lucky wholesalers will bring in by accident the big colourful males. but often, juvenile ones are brought in which are less colourful and look like juvenile flasher wrasses.

juvenile is still good as it's still very rare and can grow to bigger males.

just like when naokoae first came in by accident.

Ya.. Just hope lor.. But Naokoae is from Bali shipment????

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

New book worth getting!

This book showcases very rare fishes endemic to tahiti and nearby islands and include many rare fish photos such as

Pseudanthias hiva, P. regalis, P. mooreanus, Apogon lativittatus, Mulloidichthys mimicus, Chaetodon smithi, Genicanthus spinus, Paracirrhites nidus, Chromis abrupta, C. flavapicis, C. pamae, Dascyllus strasburgi, Plectroglyphidodon sagmarius, Coris hewetti, C. marquesensis, Pseudolabrus torotai, Stethojulis marquesensis, Scarus koputea, Alticus simplicirrus, Amblyeleotris marquesensis, Stonogobiops medon, Trimma woutsi, Acanthurus reversus, and Canthigaster marquesensis

also FIRST EVER live photographs of Hemitaurichthys multispinosus and Labropsis polynesia

post-15755-057210900 1284430522_thumb.jp

post-15755-047157800 1284430761_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Another very rare fairy that i hope to see one day.

C. tonozukai

post-9599-003695800 1284440109_thumb.jpg

looks like close cousin of my rubripinnis.. with the exception of dorsal fin?

post-9599-015953200 1284439924_thumb.jpg

post-9599-013126400 1284439932_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

post-9599-003695800 1284440109_thumb.jpg

looks like close cousin of my rubripinnis.. with the exception of dorsal fin?

tonozukai looks very similar to rubripinnis, but has an elongated dorsal fin similar to whip fin fairy.

it's found in malaysia and indonesia if i'm not wrong, but we never see them here. they used to be very commonly shipped to japan but lately, they don't get them even at japan too.

don't know why.

post-15755-012774200 1284440392_thumb.jp

post-15755-044164500 1284440395_thumb.jp

post-15755-052865900 1284440400_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

tonozukai looks very similar to rubripinnis, but has an elongated dorsal fin similar to whip fin fairy.

it's found in malaysia and indonesia if i'm not wrong, but we never see them here. they used to be very commonly shipped to japan but lately, they don't get them even at japan too.

don't know why.

ooohh ya.. the flashing dorsal fin definitely makes the mark.. interesting wrasse.. :)

on a side note, been trying to trap my 2 rubripinnis for nights.. still futile.. :angry2:

• SRC Member

why want to trap lei?

the 2 males are not working out.. one is constantly being subdued and chased.. :thumbdown: this one has lost its bright red on its fins.. doesnt even flare anymore.. the other dominant one just keeps getting bigger, though its bright red on fins still there..

• Senior Reefer

the 2 males are not working out.. one is constantly being subdued and chased.. :thumbdown: this one has lost its bright red on its fins.. doesnt even flare anymore.. the other dominant one just keeps getting bigger, though its bright red on fins still there..

the one being subdued is turning back to a female. that's why it's losing it's bright red on it's fins an doesn't flare or flash.