OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Perhaps the most famous lazarus taxon, is the coelacanth.

lazarus taxon refers to any species that has gone off the fossil map and thought to be extinct for prolonged periods of time, only to be re-discovered again.

the coelacanth is one such animal, that have thought to be gone extinct for 70-80 millions years until one was found in Comoros, and another in Indonesia. there are now a handful of specimens discovered and are the only 2 members of the last remanining genus of the mega family coelacanth. Only the genus Latimeria still stands, with 2 species.

it's not something that we can keep nor buy. but this is really, the very definition of rare.

post-15755-069213500 1283310944_thumb.jp

post-15755-036009300 1283310949_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

I think the second one is a roa excelsa.

koji posted this photo in his facebook saying it's deep water jananese roa modesta.

then he commented on the photo and said japanese excelsa is very rare. so i dunno what he meant.

excelsa is hawaiin endemic right? so i guess this is the "japanese version" of excelsa which is modesta?

koji posted this photo in his facebook saying it's deep water jananese roa modesta.

then he commented on the photo and said japanese excelsa is very rare. so i dunno what he meant.

excelsa is hawaiin endemic right? so i guess this is the "japanese version" of excelsa which is modesta?

Yes excelsa is hawaii only.

Ya i also seen this photo on their website and remember the website mentioned some excelsa thing. Anyway i cant tell between an excelsa from a modestus. Either way v nice fish but too bad need low temp.

• Senior Reefer

Yes excelsa is hawaii only.

Ya i also seen this photo on their website and remember the website mentioned some excelsa thing. Anyway i cant tell between an excelsa from a modestus. Either way v nice fish but too bad need low temp.

modesta from japan stocklist is so cheap at only 150 SGD.

but what puts me off is the size. 10-15cm.

• Senior Reefer

actually you're right.

it does look abit like excelsa. excelsa has narrower bars toward the bottom, modesta more squarish.

but then again i've seen so many modesta as excelsa and excelsa and modesta photos..

and if it's excelsa it should appear on RB right?

Actually looks like Excelsa from 2nd look... LOL... I look at the band dunno if it is correct..

Here's the excelsa, which i think look really similar as the one(claimed modestus) lemon posted earlier, i cant tell the difference.

roa4.jpg

Here's the excelsa, which i think look really similar as the one(claimed modestus) lemon posted earlier, i cant tell the difference.

Ok v likely the one below is also an excelsa. Cos if u look at the body closely they have the same recovering injury mark at the exact same spot (some missing scales and small dent) so it's actually the same fish as the above.

_DSC0207.JPG

• Senior Reefer

no it's different fish.

first difference is the ocellatus on the soft dorsal fin. the original excelsa is longer while the supposed one is rounder.

2nd is dorsal fin count. original excelsa has 9 hard dorsal spines. supposed excelsa has 10.

3rd difference is the 2nd white bar. in excelsa 1, white bar stars from hard dorsal fin 3 to 5 (counting from the back. 2nd excelsa starts from hard dorsal 4 to 6 (counting from back).

first dorsal spine has no white in the original excelsa but 2nd one has

lastly is colour difference but i did not take into account since colour is not a quantitative analysis.

• Senior Reefer

anyway the only way to differentiate the two is from the ocellatus on the soft dorsal rays.

oblong spot for excelsa and round spot for modestus.

btw, modestus also can be found in the philippines.

• Senior Reefer

ok there's one more way to discern modestus from excelsa.

3rd dorsal spine of excela is taller than any other of the dorsal spines, while modestus one is not.

so based on all the above evidence i conclude that the first photo is indeed excelsa, but the current one on BH is modestus.

no it's different fish.

first difference is the ocellatus on the soft dorsal fin. the original excelsa is longer while the supposed one is rounder.

2nd is dorsal fin count. original excelsa has 9 hard dorsal spines. supposed excelsa has 10.

3rd difference is the 2nd white bar. in excelsa 1, white bar stars from hard dorsal fin 3 to 5 (counting from the back. 2nd excelsa starts from hard dorsal 4 to 6 (counting from back).

first dorsal spine has no white in the original excelsa but 2nd one has

lastly is colour difference but i did not take into account since colour is not a quantitative analysis.

Yes they're different fish, the injury is jux a coincidence. The ocellatus spot is so different in the two fishes. So the previous is indeed a modestus. But seriously both modestus and excelsa look so similar. Modestus is so much cheaper and obtainable from Japan, get a modestus instead.

• Senior Reefer

Yes they're different fish, the injury is jux a coincidence. The ocellatus spot is so different in the two fishes. So the previous is indeed a modestus. But seriously both modestus and excelsa look so similar. Modestus is so much cheaper and obtainable from Japan, get a modestus instead.

yeah. fishbase never state how to differentiate both but based on my own observation, excelsa's 3rd dorsal fin is higher than all the others while modestus is same.

also the spot.