OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

I know what hybrid it is liao.

it's an extremely rare hybrid of Chaetodon tinkeri and Chaetodon milliaris.

In Hawaii, tinkeri will VERY rarely hybridise with miliaris. I've read about this hybridisation in my angel book and on certain websites. it's very rare and no pictures so far.

if you look at the photos of tinkeri and miliaris, you will see that the hybrid has both parent's features. the spots, the shape, etc.

so amazing that two completely diff butterflies from diff subgenus can hybridise.

there's also one featured in waikiki aquarium.

Yes it's so interesting, and so rare and so beautiful. One of the most successful hybridization. One more thing to aim for from Hawaii. Thanks for sharing the info.

terry dun wan his liao coz too small so i was stuck with all 6... -_-

they appared and fed on for a few days but slowly just MIA 1 by 1. now all dissapear liao. like panda goby lah. too small, cannot keep.

The fish is too tiny liao, tat's why always want a nano setup for this cute fishes. In our big tank it's impossible to keep them.

• Senior Reefer

Yes it's so interesting, and so rare and so beautiful. One of the most successful hybridization. One more thing to aim for from Hawaii. Thanks for sharing the info.

The fish is too tiny liao, tat's why always want a nano setup for this cute fishes. In our big tank it's impossible to keep them.

it's so hard to imagine tinkeri x miliaris. it's so omg?

there are a few more weird hybridisations like this listed in my book. i must slowly go dig them out species by species.

not everyday where the two parents are from totally different sub genuses.

it's so hard to imagine tinkeri x miliaris. it's so omg?

there are a few more weird hybridisations like this listed in my book. i must slowly go dig them out species by species.

not everyday where the two parents are from totally different sub genuses.

Sorry I think hav to burst our bubble, it's not a tinker x miliaris but quadrimaculatus x miliaris. Another piece has somewat appeared again in japan and they labelled it as quadrimaculatus x miliaris and make reference back to the old fish. How i wish it's a tinker miliaris, quadri miliaris jux doesn't sound as fantastic. Nevertheless still v beautiful and i wan one! The hybrid quadrimaculatus x miliaris again:

post-10328-049036800 1281758084_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Sorry I think hav to burst our bubble, it's not a tinker x miliaris but quadrimaculatus x miliaris. Another piece has somewat appeared again in japan and they labelled it as quadrimaculatus x miliaris and make reference back to the old fish. How i wish it's a tinker miliaris, quadri miliaris jux doesn't sound as fantastic. Nevertheless still v beautiful and i wan one! The hybrid quadrimaculatus x miliaris again:

initially i thought it had quadrimaculatus blood. based on the eye bar and shape. but even then i still thought it was a quadri x tinkeri.

but the elusive and ultra rare tinkeri x miliaris is still out there somewhere!!

initially i thought it had quadrimaculatus blood. based on the eye bar and shape. but even then i still thought it was a quadri x tinkeri.

but the elusive and ultra rare tinkeri x miliaris is still out there somewhere!!

It has no tinkeri shape actually, the forehead of tinkeri is very steep. Maybe declivis x quadrimaculatus. Or declivis x miliaris.

• Senior Reefer

It has no tinkeri shape actually, the forehead of tinkeri is very steep. Maybe declivis x quadrimaculatus. Or declivis x miliaris.

i dunno... the book and fishbase list as tinkeri x miliaris. but yes i agree tinkeri shape very steep forehead.

• Senior Reefer

Eh... can you guys pass the blue eye gobies to me? I'll take care of them in my IQ3. -_-

all MIA already..

terryz put 3 of his with my 3 and for the first few days they were all swimming out and about. but slowly wither away till left none.

next time wont buy liao. if see will let u know.

digi, so you getting your Xanthichthys caeruleolineatus? :eyebrow:

ultra rare, ultra deep, ultra beautiful and yet, not ultra ex.

And ultra big!

i smell another Bodianus sanguineus in your tank hehehehe.. :eyebrow:

Hopefully....

Has Liopropoma eukrines been sold here before?

Not yet, waiting for RB since their carribbean supplier seems to be able to get anything and everthing from carribbean.

some... i won't say rare, but different looking copperbands. the black smudge at the back. probably too boring to post here but so rarely see unusual coloured chelmons.

With Mulleri blood?

or just a region varient??

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

With Mulleri blood?

or just a region varient??

never say.

but judging from all the different specimens with the same black smudge only on the rear part, i would say it's a variant.

can't possibly all be hybrids since hybrids are random and will never produce so many similar looking ones. plus cannot be mulleri hybrid coz mulleri is too brown and chances are, more mulleri genes will be expressed than just a bar. and mulleri is different shape too. has a bump on the heads of large adults.

quite nice actually the first one. very black. (1st and 3rd pic is same fish, just different sides).

never say.

but judging from all the different specimens with the same black smudge only on the rear part, i would say it's a variant.

can't possibly all be hybrids since hybrids are random and will never produce so many similar looking ones. plus cannot be mulleri hybrid coz mulleri is too brown and chances are, more mulleri genes will be expressed than just a bar. and mulleri is different shape too. has a bump on the heads of large adults.

quite nice actually the first one. very black. (1st and 3rd pic is same fish, just different sides).

Yeah, It is quite unique...

Member of:

he's got it!!!!!!

ONE GENICANTHUS PERSONATUS CAUGHT! however, still 5-6 more for credibility! it's going to taiwan.

but the 2 patches on the body concern me...

Ya.. That two patches... Hmmmm.. Why do they like to carry the fish out of water to take photo... !!!

Member of: