OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

litus is so ugly. WI is so much nicer. WI is like aluminum foil swimming in water.

digi yes omg. the whole world is just studded with rare fish here and there and it's so unfortunate we cannot even obtain them.

i'm looking at my atlas pasted on my wall now and just tracing all the rare fishes from singapore, all the way to PNG, aus, palau, red sea, etc etc etc.

it's like a big rare fish soup that's being divided by continents and islands. and i'm just a small person with big dream to see each one of them!

if i was as rich as oprah i will spend money going to all these places, seeing, collecting, photographing.

It is under the red list on CITES... If not wrong... Saw it on a RC thread..

Oh tat doesn't mean it is endangered. It jux mean the species is very vulnerable because of the small habitat that the whole population is found in. Jux like resplendent angel also listed there because it is restricted to the small area in Ascension island and if anything happen there like chemical spill or something it'll wipe out the entire population and cause extinction. But they're not endangered yet, they are abundant in their habitat.

Oh tat doesn't mean it is endangered. It jux mean the species is very vulnerable because of the small habitat that the whole population is found in. Jux like resplendent angel also listed there because it is restricted to the small area in Ascension island and if anything happen there like chemical spill or something it'll wipe out the entire population and cause extinction. But they're not endangered yet, they are abundant in their habitat.

But the collection of that fish is banned right?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Is it? I only know the collection at Easter Island did not go thru, but the fish itself, C.Litus that is, is not protected

Dunno leh... LOL... But the only fish I want from Easter is the hotumatua, but sigh...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Dunno leh... LOL... But the only fish I want from Easter is the hotumatua, but sigh///

smithi is found in easter island also right? some sources say no but some sources say yes.

the picture on fishbase where there are tons of smithi schooling around is said to be taken in easter island.

• Senior Reefer

maybe will take terryz suggestion.

this is the closest thing to smithi right now. will hunt for small ones....

getting rare lately.. LCK came one whole tank last time but i never buy.

post-15755-061823200 1281629109_thumb.jp

post-15755-097358600 1281629115_thumb.jp

Dunno leh... LOL... But the only fish I want from Easter is the hotumatua, but sigh...

Too bad no more collection is gg to happen at easter island anytime soon. Your hotumatua is gg to wait longer.

smithi is found in easter island also right? some sources say no but some sources say yes.

the picture on fishbase where there are tons of smithi schooling around is said to be taken in easter island.

Maybe yes but not at the collection part of easter. Long long ago when there is collection at easter, hotumatua and litus are collected and shipped thru hawaii shipment. Smithi was never collected at easter, and also never was really collected except for one collection trip.

Btw smithi is not the holy grail of butterflyfish la. Never heard of the term holy grail for chaetodon species, but if u ask me, my vote goes to C.Flavocoronatus.

• Senior Reefer

Too bad no more collection is gg to happen at easter island anytime soon. Your hotumatua is gg to wait longer.

Maybe yes but not at the collection part of easter. Long long ago when there is collection at easter, hotumatua and litus are collected and shipped thru hawaii shipment. Smithi was never collected at easter, and also never was really collected except for one collection trip.

Btw smithi is not the holy grail of butterflyfish la. Never heard of the term holy grail for chaetodon species, but if u ask me, my vote goes to C.Flavocoronatus.

to me the holy grail is smithi. no question. is my favourite!!!!!!

flavo ok lah. just a tinker with extra yellow bar.

to me the holy grail is smithi. no question. is my favourite!!!!!!

flavo ok lah. just a tinker with extra yellow bar.

I like smithi also, but it lacks the deepwater rarity factor of flavo. P.basabei, P.guyanensis, R.excelsa are all more holy grail den smithi if u ask me, but it's not fair becos i'm always bias towards deepwater fishes, i jux hav a thing for them.

Anyway one Japan website stated the dusky heraldi as aberrations and not hybrid. Surprise there's so little discussions of the fish on the net. Maybe it's really ugly and not many interested.

Anyway still trying to get over my deepwater coral beauty:

post-10328-074782600 1281629901_thumb.jp

post-10328-094186400 1281629916_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

I like smithi also, but it lacks the deepwater rarity factor of flavo. P.basabei, P.guyanensis, R.excelsa are all more holy grail den smithi if u ask me, but it's not fair becos i'm always bias towards deepwater fishes, i jux hav a thing for them.

Anyway one Japan website stated the dusky heraldi as aberrations and not hybrid. Surprise there's so little discussions of the fish on the net. Maybe it's really ugly and not many interested.

omg 2nd one very nice.

The 2nd one is a beauty..

Member of:

AND THE BLUE MIDAS BLENNY I POSTED!!

anyway digi how's your possum wrasse?

it's so cute and lovely. my new fav fish.

As u said, cute and lovely fish but mine is still quite shy. Barely showing itself and i've to search w some effort before able to find it in my 5ft.

The P.Hanae is hiding too much, feel like selling the fish, dun like hiding fish!

The lemonpeel hybrid is nice but now i regret getting it cos it can be quite aggressive and if i add it to my tank now future hard to add more dwarf and hav to say goodbye to my rusty flame. So may sell it too.

Rhomboid also feeding well but still quite thin. Still dun like the fish so much so may also wan to sell.

Multilineatum has jux been transferred from QT back to sump, still contemplating whether to sell cos mine also quite shy.

• Senior Reefer

As u said, cute and lovely fish but mine is still quite shy. Barely showing itself and i've to search w some effort before able to find it in my 5ft.

The P.Hanae is hiding too much, feel like selling the fish, dun like hiding fish!

The lemonpeel hybrid is nice but now i regret getting it cos it can be quite aggressive and if i add it to my tank now future hard to add more dwarf and hav to say goodbye to my rusty flame. So may sell it too.

Rhomboid also feeding well but still quite thin. Still dun like the fish so much so may also wan to sell.

Multilineatum has jux been transferred from QT back to sump, still contemplating whether to sell cos mine also quite shy.

my possum feeding very well and likes to hover around the rocks like a spaceship. but bad thing is coz i'm using MH, it's too bright for these shade loving fish. so my mandarins and possum all hang out under one rock -.-

will need to take time before it gets used to the light and comes out more.

sell those u dont like bah. no use keeping fish you dont like right? :)

Next time, if I ever go LFS with you again.. Must stop you from buying fishes... LOL...

Member of:

my possum feeding very well and likes to hover around the rocks like a spaceship. but bad thing is coz i'm using MH, it's too bright for these shade loving fish. so my mandarins and possum all hang out under one rock -.-

will need to take time before it gets used to the light and comes out more.

sell those u dont like bah. no use keeping fish you dont like right? :)

Yes, will consider selling them.

Next time, if I ever go LFS with you again.. Must stop you from buying fishes... LOL...

Yes pls stop me, got too many nonsense fishes recently!

• Senior Reefer

Let me try next time... Should stop you from buying that Rhomboid...

no you should let him buy.

coz i always end up buying from him. i'm his dumping ground.

which is good coz the time he gets bored with it is usually enough time for me to save money and get it from him. haha.

in a way he's holding the fish for me before LFS sells it!

good good.