DIY needlewheel impeller experiment

BarraCudaTM

• SRC Member

Actually using the original impeller will work also .. just that when it sucks in too much air, the impeller will "knock" and produce a clicking sound. The impeller will then cease to spin until all the air is discharged, a modified impeller wouldnt have such a probelm. You can even hook up a air pump for max efficiency if yr powerhead is too deep in the water.

• SRC Member

You dont even need the venturi intake anyway if you use this method. The more air pumped in, the flowrate will be lower. So you have to strike a balance between having enough pressure to maintain the water level in the skimmer and having max amount of bubbles.

A slower flowrate will result in less air intake via the venturi

• SRC Member

so can i say, u have to mod the weipro then only u can use the pump.. cause the water would have to travel up and down the ermmm what u call that... the pipe that goes up and arnd your tank wall..

so would it be better if the skimmer is placed in the sump and the pump directly linked to the intake of the skimmer by getting rid of the pipe?

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

but barra.... hmmm was wondering,... the loop... would it 'join' the fine bubbles together to form bigger bubbles? ermmm get what i mean? small bubbles will join to bigger ones and eventually burst right.. so would that be the case? or it is perfectly fine?

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

I have tried this experiment on my macro ASF300 venturi. My pump is 2500l/hr.

With air and water going thru the loop, it is barely sufficient energy to pump the water right into the reaction chamber. By reducing the air intake, the microbubble is too insignicant to get any work done.

My thoughts is you either need a very strong pump to get the water + air into the loop, right into the chamber. Or, drill a hole near the foot of the reaction chamber and pump this air + water mixture right in (just like H&S, Euroreef).

By doing that, basically the venturi portion will not be used. One way is to stuff more air tubes into the venturi loop and have air stones at the end of the tube (inside the chamber( to create more microbubbles.