how good is hailea hc-500a chiller

foocha

hello,

was just wondering if can get some input from previous reefers who have used this model.

how efficient, quiet and especially about teh maintenance schedule etcetc

any input would be greatly appreciated. !!!

post-5842-1210523233.jpg

I am using one with a 3000l return pump... Good for price and value.. and QUIET!

I am using it for one of my 3.5x2.5x2.5 tank..NO COMPLAIN after more than 15 mths of use..

:paiseh:

what about maintenance? when is the last time you had to maintain the unit? and what kind of maintenance exactly?

thanks for the input man !

• SRC Member
what about maintenance? when is the last time you had to maintain the unit? and what kind of maintenance exactly?

Clean the intake filter which is easy on our part. Even the whole chiller is easy to take apart and put back without much confusion. I flush with water at the radiator (sound like a car...) :upsidedown: and still work like a breeze. Chemical wash, I guess get the chiller guy to do better as they will have the right chemical.

My temp sensor is faulty after 2 years. Buy a external controller if budget allows, even a good used ones is good.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Its a good one. Quiet and reliable, less the thermostat issue. But you can easily fix that with an external temp controller.

Can't say that for the 1000 ltrs model.. its pretty loud as I'm recently using.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Its a good one. Quiet and reliable, less the thermostat issue. But you can easily fix that with an external temp controller.

Can't say that for the 1000 ltrs model.. its pretty loud as I'm recently using.

Is it the HC1000?? Was thinking of upgrade to this 1 HP, How loud har?

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Is it the HC1000?? Was thinking of upgrade to this 1 HP, How loud har?

Yeah. Much louder :eyeblur: . Before upgrade, on the hc500 no one noticed or complained.. Quite quiet. After upgrade to hc1000, everyone is complaining its loud. Double the size supported but more that double the sound.. <_<

Its still value for $$ and should be better in elec consumption but the sound is something to consider about. I wonder if there is a mod for it to silence the sound or make it softer??

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

Yeah. Much louder :eyeblur: . Before upgrade, on the hc500 no one noticed or complained.. Quite quiet. After upgrade to hc1000, everyone is complaining its loud. Double the size supported but more that double the sound.. <_<

Its still value for $$ and should be better in elec consumption but the sound is something to consider about. I wonder if there is a mod for it to silence the sound or make it softer??

wah i hope i dont have to upgrade now man... u tink it can handle 250 gl or not... am upgrading my tank now man... i agree this one is quiet... if thermostat break after 2 years... quite ok lah ...

• SRC Member
wah i hope i dont have to upgrade now man... u tink it can handle 250 gl or not... am upgrading my tank now man... i agree this one is quiet... if thermostat break after 2 years... quite ok lah ...

hi foocha i am trying to get the second hand of this model if u got lobang let me know..i miss the chance of getting it when somebody selling at 180 with external temp controller etc...the seller stay in the west thats why didnt buy..abit regret ...hee...

hi foocha i am trying to get the second hand of this model if u got lobang let me know..i miss the chance of getting it when somebody selling at 180 with external temp controller etc...the seller stay in the west thats why didnt buy..abit regret ...hee...

Dude,

i am singaporean lah.. but currently i am working in philippines man ! the chiller i buy here ! but still.. if got lobong will let you know. mayb here is cheaper... i buy my chiller for 410 sgd... is that cheap? but no warranty here lah

• SRC Member
Dude,

i am singaporean lah.. but currently i am working in philippines man ! the chiller i buy here ! but still.. if got lobong will let you know. mayb here is cheaper... i buy my chiller for 410 sgd... is that cheap? but no warranty here lah

i guess it is cheap cause 1/4 hp cause abt 400 no warranty if i am not wrong...la...

• SRC Member

hmm..like what nakazuro mentioned..as long as you periodically clean your inlet filter (which is the usual cause of faulty fan/compressor lead to heat-exchange)..you can run it for years... I am still using the internal temp-controller...

:thanks:

• SRC Member

250gal is too much for the HC500 to handle... It can handle my 180gal up to 26degrees but it runs quite a while to chiill it down. Not energy efficient this way. This is done with an external controller. When I tried 25degrees, it seems impossible. Will run till about 25.4 - 25.5 then just hover around there.. 250gal is way too much a difference. Might not even reach 27 -28. You might want to spend a bit more on a quieter brand/model.

• SRC Member

haha. HC500 is a good quiet model.. somemore with external controller.. Where to get at that price?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...