A new beginning

wilsontantw

• Senior Reefer
haha.. friend... u have quite strange habits! hahaha...

u know what i got the last time i shifted my bubble coral?!? i kena stung so bad that my index finger tip was swollen (minor swelling) for 3 days!

wahaha...strange habits indeed...i dunno how to frag zoo so i use my fingers to rip them apart form the colony...so far so good but i need to learn to do it properly for the health of my corals and myself.

hmm...i never gotten stung by corals before....i think my skin too thick. only kena stung by an elegance once not too long ago on my forearm. not that bad la..feels weird and later on had some marks on my hands. funny...till this day i wanted to know what a coral sting feel like on my palms...sometimes i will run my fingers tru my torch and hammer....like as if u using ur hands to comb someone's long hair like that. but no feeling lehz...so i dunno if my skin too thick or my coral is lousy stinger lolz...i have seen fishes steal food from my elegance with no problem!! never get stung! my corals singing capacity all zero liao -.-

actually smelling my bubble coral's mucus is not strange la haha. is curious :eyebrow: i smell all my coral. i remember what each and everyone of them smell like....so no one can steal my coral haha! i smell and i know its mineeeeee XD jk jk... but really. do smell ur bubble. experience u will not forget..

haha bro, heng ah..else now ur hse mini swimming pool! LOL!

tell me about it bro... i think the designer of the tank did a really good job...

dunno if it's by chance or some real calculation... coz when the overflow is blocked (i.e. water doesn't reach the sump), the return to main tank is 'controlled'. So there's no chance of extra volume of water to be returned into main tank.

furthermore my floor is laminated, once flooded, it'll be game over!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

care to share more on the design?

I'll attempt to share using words... hopefully i make sense here...

1) I'm using external overflow box, and i think the volume of this overflow box is equivalent to the volume in the final return compartment in the sump.

2) This way, if there's a normal flow rate, the water volume level will be constant...

3) Should the overflow gets block, the level of the return compartment lowers itself (returning to main tank), but water from overflow is not coming down fast enough...

4) So more water is sucked in from the return compartment... but as water is not coming down, soon, the return pump area has not enough water to return to main tank, and you only get air + some water... resulting in lotsa bubbles...

5) The excess water is now stored in the external overflow box (which if blocked, will only backflow into main tank). If the volume is calculated correctly, it'll never flood, coz the return pump does not have enough water to return to main tank.

i'll try to share some pix over the weekend... now lazy to take pictures leh.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member
I'll attempt to share using words... hopefully i make sense here...

1) I'm using external overflow box, and i think the volume of this overflow box is equivalent to the volume in the final return compartment in the sump.

2) This way, if there's a normal flow rate, the water volume level will be constant...

3) Should the overflow gets block, the level of the return compartment lowers itself (returning to main tank), but water from overflow is not coming down fast enough...

4) So more water is sucked in from the return compartment... but as water is not coming down, soon, the return pump area has not enough water to return to main tank, and you only get air + some water... resulting in lotsa bubbles...

5) The excess water is now stored in the external overflow box (which if blocked, will only backflow into main tank). If the volume is calculated correctly, it'll never flood, coz the return pump does not have enough water to return to main tank.

i'll try to share some pix over the weekend... now lazy to take pictures leh.

means also quite dangerous if your pump is a highend one..

can burn and spoil leh

quite true on what jem say also,but ah. if normal tank style,

it will be flood + pump spoil

now is only pump spoil, floor wun flood LOL

hahaha.... true true... equipment spoil, can just buy 1 new one.

Flood... i think it'll be decom time... coz CO sure to get me to sell everything.

btw, is AB5000 considered as a good pump?

I'm considering to get a new Ehiem 1262 to replace it... coz lately facing some stupid restart problem with the AB.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Moderators
hahaha.... true true... equipment spoil, can just buy 1 new one.

Flood... i think it'll be decom time... coz CO sure to get me to sell everything.

btw, is AB5000 considered as a good pump?

I'm considering to get a new Ehiem 1262 to replace it... coz lately facing some stupid restart problem with the AB.

Bro, there are some known issue for AB pumps. Eheim pumps are definitely better for the long run. The other alternative is OR pump.

Tom

• SRC Supporter

yea there is 1-2 batch of aquabee pump got impellar problem.

the rest before and after shld be fine

but the problem is, who knows which pump comes from the problematic batch haha!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Bro, there are some known issue for AB pumps. Eheim pumps are definitely better for the long run. The other alternative is OR pump.

Oh well.. guess it's just my luck...

So, next trip... petmart... time to get a new return pump. (that should be the best-priced shop right?)

What do you guys think if i power my existing AB to my Chiller + T-off to my FR (overkill???).

Since my FR pump has broken down as well.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

yea there is 1-2 batch of aquabee pump got impellar problem.

the rest before and after shld be fine

but the problem is, who knows which pump comes from the problematic batch haha!

Sigh... the worse part is the warranty is over for this pump! So bo pian lor... have to buy new one.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Was very worried why i first bought this... coz when i put it into the tank, it shrank quite a lot...

But now it's super fleshy!!! the flesh is swaying slightly with the wavebox movement..

post-13920-1235922944.jpg

very interesting colour... purple on the outside, blue on the inside...

Totally love it... it's currently the center-piece.

:)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

wha... gone shopping??

you say leh? just bought a few pieces here and there... nothing expensive.

Even the true octo also quite worth it! (less than half of what i paid for previously wor).

Too bad you busy these few days, else could have gone RD together... got Rics leh... (i didn't managed to make it either).

May need some slight rescape, coz like you said, a lot of wasted space.... hehe.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer

ur frogspawn looks like the regular frogspawn leh..euphyllia divisa. the true octo is euphyllia paradivisa and looks like this. but then again, i could be wrong...there is a reason why the latin name is divisa and PARAdivisa. they differ, but very subtly....my eye sight also not so good nowadays..but looks like the normal frogspawn to me leh :ph34r:

post-15755-1235924660.jpg

ur frogspawn looks like the regular frogspawn leh..euphyllia divisa. the true octo is euphyllia paradivisa and looks like this. but then again, i could be wrong...there is a reason why the latin name is divisa and PARAdivisa. they differ, but very subtly....my eye sight also not so good nowadays..but looks like the normal frogspawn to me leh :ph34r:

well... the thing is, you could very well be correct.

i had the option of choosing either tips + stem to be green or just the tips green... i decided on the latter. (both are same price lor! coz i only looking at the small one).

anyway, this gives me another reason to get another piece! haha.. no lah, this time i'll get a hammer/anchor liao.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
well... the thing is, you could very well be correct.

i had the option of choosing either tips + stem to be green or just the tips green... i decided on the latter. (both are same price lor! coz i only looking at the small one).

anyway, this gives me another reason to get another piece! haha.. no lah, this time i'll get a hammer/anchor liao.

actually now im dam doubtful wether im correct or not.. dam confusing also. Not sure if i allocated the correct latin name to the correct coral even -.- hmm...but both eqaually beautiful in my opinion (: for me doesnt matter which one i get haha. hmm ya hammer also nice..saw alot at GO but my tnak so many hammer and torch liao... i finally got stung by my new torch today...u know i realised my older torch corals seem to have their stikyness to their tentacles...maybe thats why they dun sting me when i accidently touch it. i dunno if its normal for them to loose their stick, but they dun look unhealthy to me....perfectly normal. my new torch today i brush against it. VERY STICKY and stung me on my cuticle near my nail there. wa painful... anyway. haha. glad ur happy with ur lobo. i must admit the colour is really striking! blue center wow.

nice blasto also...wanted to get the kind of blasto u bought. blastomusa wellesi. but then i think i decided to buy the branching blastos lolz. more unusual but uglier compare to the normal kind. argh meh. lolx :lol:

actually now im dam doubtful wether im correct or not.. dam confusing also. Not sure if i allocated the correct latin name to the correct coral even -.- hmm...but both eqaually beautiful in my opinion (: for me doesnt matter which one i get haha. hmm ya hammer also nice..saw alot at GO but my tnak so many hammer and torch liao... i finally got stung by my new torch today...u know i realised my older torch corals seem to have their stikyness to their tentacles...maybe thats why they dun sting me when i accidently touch it. i dunno if its normal for them to loose their stick, but they dun look unhealthy to me....perfectly normal. my new torch today i brush against it. VERY STICKY and stung me on my cuticle near my nail there. wa painful... anyway. haha. glad ur happy with ur lobo. i must admit the colour is really striking! blue center wow.

nice blasto also...wanted to get the kind of blasto u bought. blastomusa wellesi. but then i think i decided to buy the branching blastos lolz. more unusual but uglier compare to the normal kind. argh meh. lolx :lol:

I made a conscious choice to buy the one with green tip only, thus cannot regret. :)

The lobo and blastos are lucky buys... coz those pieces have been there for at least 3-4 days liao... so these are kinda leftovers... haha...

after i seen your clove corals, i also got tempted, and bought one small one yday too... (my wife likes it... looks like flowers).

She also likes the new alveopora (Ray has been persuading me to get some, and finally i bought it).

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer
I made a conscious choice to buy the one with green tip only, thus cannot regret. :)

The lobo and blastos are lucky buys... coz those pieces have been there for at least 3-4 days liao... so these are kinda leftovers... haha...

after i seen your clove corals, i also got tempted, and bought one small one yday too... (my wife likes it... looks like flowers).

She also likes the new alveopora (Ray has been persuading me to get some, and finally i bought it).

yes clove polyps are really cute. like flowers....my mom like also. look like flower....all the flowery stuff. buy more so ur wife can let u go LFS more HAHA :eyebrow: