Nitrox

kelstorm

• SRC Member

Hi, i would like to know whether any fellas here took Nitrox? me thinking of taking up the course.. just a couple of questions

1. Can the normal BC be used for nitrox?

2. Any special requirements that i need to take note?

3. Any other points that i have left out.. kindly enlighten me.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
I think you will be hard-pressed trying to find good operators who can run nitrox for you when you dive in Malaysia.

Even Sipadan Water Village doesn't have nitrox.

hmmmm.... point noted AT, thanks for the info.. was checking with my dive instructor yesterday and he mentioned that if i want to learn, he can teach.. but at the end of the day, it still boils down to the air consumption rate.. and as well as your buddy's... if either one of us is an air hog, enriched O2 also no use...

similarly, if malaysia dive sites hardly have Nitrox, useless for me to learn too.. coz hardly have the chance to practice once i get the certification anyway... me cant afford to travel too far out for diving..

Thanks fellas for the advice..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
just that you will feel a bit the high initially so do try it on land before going underwater... :eyebrow:

what kind of high are u talking abt? similar to narcz???? i experienced narcz once during my advance deep dive.. hahaha..

• SRC Member

hi kelstorm

Nice to see u here instead of Fins

1 thing to check is tat ur reg is it for nitrox used.

If it is tiatanium make bcareful as it reacts with oxygen

and 1 more thing, malaysia(aur)divers lodge offer nitrox, tioman also got nitrox juz have to book in advance, redang also got sipadan also got try this

so who said malaysia got little nitrox refilling station :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
guess that was the crux of me question..."good operators"... need to find a reliable operator who knows his stuff.. from the air that they used to mix nitrox and also the condition of their equipment as well as their routine maintenance.... i was also told that the operators in this region are very the "cowboy"... dunno how true this is and tot that you have a good idea lor... :peace:

true.. i couldnt agree more.. maintenance of equipment is very impt.. i dun want to end up in the compression chamber... ;) after hearing the 'cowboy' thingie.. me a bit hesitant leh... ;)

• SRC Member
kelstorm... it really depends on how you take a much higher content mix... different ppl react differently... like when i first went down to only 24m and was underwater for some 40minutes... i was still alright but me buddy wanted to strap his regulator to the schools of tanks that was swimming ard us...

Benz,

i know what u mean.. during my first deep dive, at 26M, i did not realised that i was narcz and my buddy was fine.. and my instructor who was looking at me, pulled up 1-2 metres to clear my head when i wanted to remove my reg to let the nudibranch breathe.. :D

the thing in my mind was, not breathing, supply air to it.. :blink: cheez... what was i thinking then.. hahaha.. while it is funny to my buddy, to think abt it on a serious note, it is very dangerous.. as such, i now tends to be very careful and aware of my surroundings, my body conditions and as well as my buddy presence and behaviour underwater. :)

Guess we all learn from experience.. but some experiences are very costly... :erm:

• SRC Member
pardon me but what is narcz. :P

it is a term which we used when we get nitrogen nacrosis aka, nitrogen overdose, which results in a feeling high experience.

• SRC Member
AT..

Can we also "train" together sometime??? :evil::yeah::yeah:

hey.. dun confused terryansimon.. hahaha :lol:

Terryansimon, this kind of high that they are talking abt, wun go away when u ascent 1-2m.. but go away with a splitting headache the next morning.. hahaha

• SRC Member
I don't mind training at jiak kim street or mhd sultan. :P

but I do mind training when I have to wake up with the @#%T@#% headache.

hmm.. cant have the best of both worlds.. :D

Hi all;

To clarify a few things. Nitrox tanks are easily available as long as u request for them before your dives.

Look for dive operators or resorts with the Nitrox sticker!

Hmmm.... I haven't gone for that kind of 'training' for a long long time already! :D

Not young any more! Also... I rather not flush money down the toilet but spent it on my first loves.... :)

• SRC Member
then dont "train" so hard.... no headache lor...

or "train" very hard but then have a bottle of oxygen (pure) standing by... wake up the next morning.. breathe it in thre your regulator and hey presto... headache gone.... :yeah::yeah::yeah::evil:

also.. dun train until u 'merlion'... hahaha

• SRC Member
Wanna try nitrox for free?

Free training provided..

Free equipment...

Free Nitrox gas mixture...

Join Navy Divers...

:rolleyes:

i think there is a fine line between doing it for leisure and being mad!!! :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
there is another obvious line between paying to dive and being paid to dive. :P

yah.. lets not forget the diff between dive instructors and Navy Divers.., one is for fun, the other...... :whistle