Jervis' Reefing Renaissance

jervismun

Wow ur tank really rocks, the current is really strong, I still thgt mine might be too strong, no I dun think so anymore

Thanks bro... but do remember that I'm using a Tunze Wavebox... the current is actually created by resonance... not direct flow as created by most wavemakers... well the best way to judge is by observing your corals :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

regarding ur RBTA moving, they generally do not like their foot exposed to light and as such prefer to either bury it in a hole or like what urs has just done, move to overhangs. When i place an RBTA in a tank, i make sure that i provide it a cave to attach and as long as his foot remains shaded from the light, he'll stay put. My RBTAs in my tank have essentially stayed where they are for the past 7 months. And thats been the case with my previous specimens as well. Just something for you to note.

The tanks lookin great by the way! Ur tempting me to get a wavebox :(

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

regarding ur RBTA moving, they generally do not like their foot exposed to light and as such prefer to either bury it in a hole or like what urs has just done, move to overhangs. When i place an RBTA in a tank, i make sure that i provide it a cave to attach and as long as his foot remains shaded from the light, he'll stay put. My RBTAs in my tank have essentially stayed where they are for the past 7 months. And thats been the case with my previous specimens as well. Just something for you to note.

Thanks bro for sharing... now it is making a bit more sense to me... and yeah the RBTA is still hanging there... actually it's kinda cool :rolleyes:

Wavebox is fun... but you might have to rescape the tank in order to fit it in your existing tank... and a black background will also help conceal it... I still wish it can be smaller :pinch:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Should wait a little longer if you are keen in wavebox.. :eyebrow: ..

• SRC Member
Wavebox is fun... but you might have to rescape the tank in order to fit it in your existing tank... and a black background will also help conceal it... I still wish it can be smaller :pinch:

Ya..I like the water-effect too.. :wub: ..just that my overflow water level might not able cater to wavebox need.. :pinch:

bro question, what u doing to keep nitrates in check har? I dont see u using any denitrator. Change water weekly n light feeding method?

Actually... I have not change a single drop of water since the restarting of this tank... and I've been feeding quite heavily on fish and coral food :unsure: My tank is still considered new... usually it will take a while longer before the NO3 will accumulate overtime... perhaps my protein skimmer is doing a heck of a job :rolleyes:

Here are just some possibilities:

1) Heavy skimming helps in eliminating organic wastes (most effective method in controlling nutrients).

2) Artificial rocks are very clean, not releasing unwanted nutrients such as Ammonia, NO3 and PO4 into the water. No die-offs from live rocks.

3) Rockscape design with very little rocks touching the sandbed, reducing dead zones.

4) Tunze Wavebox provides evenly distributed current throughout the entire tank, eliminating dead zone.

5) 1+ years old DSB in my sump tank, kept alive during the restarting process.

My Pipe Organ is fully open today :) Looks like Esplanade actually :erm:

post-6096-1201694649.jpg

post-6096-1201694657.jpg

Ohh :shock: Who's the maniac fooling around underneath my Red Prata's skirt... too late to interfere :cry2:

Can you see the claw and pincher on the sand bed? See the next posting for actual story

post-6096-1201694997.jpg

Found a molted Blue-legged Hermit yesterday... let's not waste it :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

post-6096-1201695050.jpg

• SRC Member
Found a molted Blue-legged Hermit yesterday... let's not waste it :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

U actually feed the molted hermit to ur gems ?? :shock: Wonder will it get choked ?? :sick: The prata looks outstanding from the black sand bed :lol:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Your hermit crab is at the wrong place at wrong time, it became prata's food. Last time I also got similar accident with molting sally crab, ventured too near to the prata and get swallowed.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

2) Artificial rocks are very clean, not releasing unwanted nutrients such as Ammonia, NO3 and PO4 into the water. No die-offs from live rocks.

I think PO4 is released from artificial rocks, at least based from experiences from other reefers who are using them :unsure:

wapiang now feed crabmeat few more weeks u'll be feeding sharksfin to ur prata kekeke

Sharksfin = Nono :pinch:

I think PO4 is released from artificial rocks, at least based from experiences from other reefers who are using them :unsure:

Yeah I read about that reefers experience too... but in my tank... PO4 been dropping to a minute 0.008 ppm using high-sensitivity test kit (Salifert can only detect up to 0.03 ppm if I'm not wrong). And I do not find any algae/diatom growing on my artificial rocks.

So I am not convinced by the claim as my own experience has proven otherwise.

is green star polyp same as pipe organ?

Nope... they are not the same. But once fully open, both polyp-covered colonies will look almost identical. One major difference is... Star Polyps grow in the form of leather but Pipe Organ grows in the form of hard skeletal-tubes hence the name. I also find Pipe Organ's polyp tentacles longer and more hairy :whistle

wapiang now feed crabmeat few more weeks u'll be feeding sharksfin to ur prata kekeke

How about MILK? :evil: :evil: :evil:

what happen to e 2 blue note softies pic ????

You mean these 2 Rhodactis? They are doing very well... this pix was taken 2 days ago... I notice the red is getting slightly more intense today... good news :)

post-6096-1201708426.jpg

Thgt using fake rock will not hv any unwanted pest wonder where the crab come from????

Crab? Where? :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: That's the remaining of a molted Blue-legged Hermit :heh:

My Grotech skimmer is doing a great job... but it will only foam up nicely right after I feed... actually this could possibly be a sign of over skimming :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

post-6096-1201709188.jpg

A reefer came over to my office today to collect the Solenoid & CO2 Tank... he told me that my tank looks better in real life... perhaps my usual FTS doesn't give a sense of depth to the scaping... climbed up a chair and took this shot today :D

Is it better than the front view shot? (taken a week ago)

post-6096-1201709433.jpg

post-6096-1201709528.jpg