warning, before adding new coral sand into tank

• SRC Member

Hi all.... just bought 7 pkt of grade 0 coral sand+ 30KG grade 1 sand for my new setup, wash all the 100KG for 7~8 times and thought that it was allrite already and ready to put in the tank... call up bro UFO and he warn me that there are alot of metal pcs in the sand which i dun believe at first until i took a pc of strong magnet and stir 1 pkt of sand in the water and "scan" using the magnet.... shit!! found black colour, sand look alike metal stuff in the sand and it was quite a lot! (estimated 1~2gram /1 pkt) i remove these metal sand and do the same thing to the rest of the sand.... all contain such material in it... then I took out the grade 1 sand which was previously setup in my 2' tank (30KG), same thing happen! remove all thes "metal sand" from 9pm ~3 am yesterday.... really a big project for me!

Most of you might know about this but for those who not, pls do "scan" your sand before adding it in to your tank.... you must use magnet to do so a the "metal sand" is so find that you cannot pick it up from the coral sand....

• SRC Member
yeah... this advice was given some time ago.... it's incredible how much metal particles can be found in the sand!

think i miss the post.... thats why spending so much time washing and cleaning the bloody sand! anyway, it is better to be busy now rather tha latter on where everything added and have to take out again...

Hi, I'm new to this hobby and haf been looking around for some time to set up a reef aquarium.. I chanced upon this thread... so after reading the posts it raises one question: is it customary to remove metal pieces from the sand before adding it to the tank? Do all "brands" of sand contain metal pieces? oops.. realised that was two questions asked... :D

pardon me for my ignorance... :paiseh:

• SRC Member

Magnets only remove iron which is quite harmless in the tank. The other metals like copper and lead are dangerous but there's no good way to remove them.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif