Grotech HEA-200 Protein Skimmer

jervismun

Hi guys

This is not a new product to share but after running it for a couple of months... and before I disconnect this guy in preparation of my next tank... I think it's nice to share my observations with fellow reefers.

For more information on this skimmer, click HERE

I believe this is the best time to judge the capability of this skimmer as I've stopped feeding any form of coral food and elements dosing for a week. All my corals has been sold or transferred to other tanks. Currently I am only left with about 20 fishes and some shrimps.

I will try to have all my pictures recorded with date and time by the camera.

Here's a look at my collection cup with 4 days worth of skimming (absolutely no coral food and dosing). Probably the last time I will ever see such beauty :sick:

post-14-1196131205.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

26 Nov 07 / 4.43pm

After saying goodbye to my last cuppa... the cleaned cup is ready to go at 4.43pm. The foaming pump and feed pump were fired up immediately.

post-14-1196131439.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

26 Nov 07 / 5.02pm

I went back to the skimmer after 20 mins and found the foam was already forming up quite nicely :)

post-14-1196131551.jpg

27 Nov 07 / 10.33am (17 1/2 hrs later)

A bit shocked by the amount of skimmate this morning... interesting to note that there isn't a single feeding between this 17 1/2 hrs period.

I added the Test Pen to give a sense of scale to the skimmer collection cup.

Let's take another shot by the end of the day :)

Meanwhile I will be most happy to answer any query on the skimmer.

post-14-1196131816.jpg

Hi Jervis, can I check with you on the sound level that this skimmer is producing? is it really quiet? as compared to other skimmers that you had previously used? :thanks:

Sound wise... actually the Eheim pump is pretty quiet... if I am to open my cabinet doors and get close to the skimmer... I can hear the sound of water push out of the pump and a bit of noise from the air intake. If you are planning to put this outside your cabinet, perhaps a silencer for the air intake will help.

Does a silencer affects the air intake? lesser?

Thx

It depends on the design I suppose... I used to have an Aquamedic skimmer that comes with a nice looking silencer which I believe will not compromise on air intake :)

• SRC Member

It depends on the design I suppose... I used to have an Aquamedic skimmer that comes with a nice looking silencer which I believe will not compromise on air intake :)

nice skimmate. are you keeping this skimmer for ur next?

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

nice skimmate. are you keeping this skimmer for ur next?

Yes I am keeping this skimmer for my next project... one of the few things that I can't live without :lol::lol::lol:

28 Nov 07 / 9.44am (about 24 hours later)

Can see the significant increase? :lol:

post-14-1196218016.jpg

29 Nov 07 / 9.36am (around 24 hours later)

More more more :evil::evil::evil:

post-14-1196300446.jpg

• SRC Member

Yes I am keeping this skimmer for my next project... one of the few things that I can't live without :lol::lol::lol:

i thought you will go for a 250 instead.

make sure u got no height restriction for ur new project! :lol:

whats ur feeding routine like for the fish each day?

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

i thought you will go for a 250 instead.

make sure u got no height restriction for ur new project! :lol:

whats ur feeding routine like for the fish each day?

HEA250? Hehe... stop predicting my heart :rolleyes:

I feed about 4 cubes of frozen mysis (properly thawed and washed)... about 1/2 tea spoon of pellets... 1/2 tea spoon of flakes... basically that's it for this week :)

30 Nov 07 / 9.47 am (24 hours later)

Brewing good :rolleyes:

post-14-1196387434.jpg