Algae on glass

:sick: Jus need some advice or opinion, as I keep my light (T5 x4 3 feet tank) for at least 8 hrs a day, the algae growth on the glass sides is pretty fast. am finding it increasingly difficult to keep scrubbing the sides every week and in the process keep shifting the LRs and corals.

do most of you leave the algae growth alone in the Tank especially the back glass or is thewre any other solutions to kep the algae growth at bay? Thxx

Its not advisable to leave nuisance algae on the glass, particularly the front panel. As soon as it takes hold, it will be tougher to remove, short of a good metal scraper and some elbow grease.

Assuming you have read up on nuisance algae and its source, I suppose you should start on addressing on problem by reducing the fuel for algae growth.

If you have not, do a search and you'll find a abundance of information on this matter.

I used to leave a side pane for green turf algae for my snails and lawnmover blenny to graze on.... now its overrun by coralline algae. :(

IMO, both are a nuisance ... ;)

Rumor's right... remove the source and you'll have less of nuisance algae. Unfortunately, to remove the fuel for my coralline algae growth would mean that my SPS corals won't grow also! :D

HI Rumour and AT, wat would be the source of the nuisance algae? izzit not bcos of the extended lighting that is provided? Or is there any other source of algae..overfeeding too much nutrients in the water? is there any medication or stuff that you can put in the water to curb the growth?

• SRC Member

Normally I welcome algae growth on the sides of my tank, except the front panel. Whenever I saw one green patch forming on my front panel, I will try to scrub it off as soon as possible before they took hold, coz I find that they are quite hard to remove if they have stayed for too long.. :(

Purple Coralline requires higher intensity of light and high currents.

Those that grows wild in mature tanks are typically pink. They are quite a nuisance as it blankets your glass quickly and is a pain to remove without a metal scraper.

I usually scrape them off the glass to either colonise the rocks, or fall onto the sandbed to become fine sand.