Online Defamation

seamonkee

• SRC Member

Hey all, better watch what u say in forum..... saw this in today's Computer Times (Wed, Nov 12, 2003)...

Online forums and the e-mail system are venues where users simply let off steam over what's eating them. But don't think you can simply say anything without facts to back you up, especially when you are criticising a person or an organisation.

Cases of online defamation are on the rise, observed three law firms with expertise in defamation and IT issues. Allen & Gledhill, Drew & Napier and Harry Elias Partnership combined are handling more than 20 cases this year. In comparison, they saw fewer than five cases three years ago.

With a court order, Internet service Providers and forum owners or moderators are obliged to reveal the identities of those who posted defaming remarks or materials online. And as more of such online defamation cases surface, the culture of being able to say anything online, hidden behind a pseudonym, may put a clamp on cybercitizens' free speech.

But companies like Sony Ericsson use value in feedback - though some of it is scathing - from their online users' group and choose to work with the forum to turn the negatives into positives.

Just be mindful of what you say online. If the court comes after you and you can't prove beyond a doubt that you are right... then its your lookout... ;)

Of course, personal opinions and personal points of view... are another thing altogether... so are places that are vaguely described. ;)

We have certain guidelines here in SRC, newcomers please be aware of them.

AT

well, such things are quite real. I have seen other forums whereby a forumer is demanding a public apology from an apparent defamation act, else he/she's going to sue for a $20000 damage. looks serious. think the debate still going on....

which forum? scary siah. =\

thats why I don't find it ethical to have scathing attacks on people online. because you don't know just who on earth you are messing with on the other side.

no lah.. superpet so good manners..

the boss also talk ang mo veri good the one.

I always call them to check on prices n availablity of parts.

I usually get my stuffs there to DIY my PC, though its slightly expensive, but exchange policy should be good.

its vixxxpro lah. used to be man by a group of ah bengs, but now better. I just went to their shop few weeks back.