Birdnest

• SRC Member

I find this strange.

Got this frag from Phang and it was supposed to be a brown birdnest and not the pink type.

But somehow it decided to turn purple.

Is it because of the T5 Blueplus?

post-22-1068633378.jpg

Most SPS will change colour according to the type of lighting and the intensity they are receiving. Their color is actually due to the type and abundance of zooxanthellae in their tissues. Just like my montipora digitata I picked up from the beach..initially the polyps were brownish green...now seem to become more greenish. :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Erm Zooxanthellea are brown or golden brown in color, its the pigmentation of the corals dat are shining or of striking coloration... ;)

The pigmentation comes from zooxanthellae. Ever wondered why bleached corals always lose their color along with expelled zooxanthellae? ;)

• SRC Supporter
I find this strange.

Got this frag from Phang and it was supposed to be a brown birdnest and not the pink type.

This is really unfair...... I have the same 250 BLVs jus like yours and I dun get the colour purple..... :pinch: ... ;)

BTW, good growth that you have there...... :lol:

Any other reefers want this "potientially purple but currently brown" bird nest frag??? ..... :P

Gonna do a massive fragging session again..... :evil:

• SRC Member

It is proven that:

a. BLK 250W 10K does give good growth.

b. T5 BluePlus does encourage blueing of SPS.

Anybody got info whether the BLV 14K ones does give good growth and colouration? Thinking of using 14K bulb only without T5 in the future to cut down electricity...

• SRC Supporter
It is proven that:

a. BLK 250W 10K does give good growth.

b. T5 BluePlus does encourage blueing of SPS.

Anybody got info whether the BLV 14K ones does give good growth and colouration? Thinking of using 14K bulb only without T5 in the future to cut down electricity...

14kk bulb from BLV ??????

IMO, poccis just love high intensity lighting... not too sure if its the blue bulbs that trigger the colour change for mine as my birdnest corals are directly under 400w 6500k sakis.

• SRC Supporter
IMO, poccis just love high intensity lighting... not too sure if its the blue bulbs that trigger the colour change for mine as my birdnest corals are directly under 400w 6500k sakis.

I have a pink pocillopora colony sitting 2 inches from my sandbed, shaded by other SPS colonies and its colouring up...... really nice pink....

Fact is some of my Acros seems to colour up with less lighting.....

I have frags of a staghorn is various positions in my reef and thw one that's placed further away from the lights is colouring up into a purple whereas those placed up high there only possesses purple tips....... ;)

• SRC Member

The pigmentation comes from zooxanthellae. Ever wondered why bleached corals always lose their color along with expelled zooxanthellae? ;)

Zooxanthellae are mainly for photosynthesising, so sps tend to brown out when put in low light situations, because they increase the zoo content in their tissue...

Please read these Fuel...most of the articles state that zooxanthellae are brownish as they consist of dinoflagellates...

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/d_riddle_042698.html

---This one says:

"Corals contain pigments that can either block out UV, reflect UV or absorb the UV, and fluoresce the energy into visible portions of the spectrum. It has often been speculated that the colorful Acropora are colored due to the UV protecting pigments in the coral, and aquarists often try to increase the coloration of corals by providing more UV."

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...s/2/default.asp

Photosynthetic pigments in the zooxanthellal cells carry out the collection of the light energy, such that they efficiently absorb light in the 400 to 700 nm range. The zooxanthellae contain various types of pigments: chlorophyll a, chlorophyll c and the carotenoids, such as Beta carotene, peridinnine and dinoxanthines. The pigments in the cells will absorb different wavelengths with different efficiencies. The absorption spectrum for zooxanthellae has been shown to have a broad peak in the 400 to 500 nm waveband (blue-green) and a narrow peak in the 650 to 700 (red) waveband.

Although it has not been proven that all coloration in corals is due to these UV protecting pigments, the practice of adding UV (or increasing UV) in the reef aquarium should be generally avoided, because it is likely to cause more harm than good.

Taken from your link. ;)

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...s/2/default.asp

• SRC Member
I find this strange.

Yazid,

BTW, did you took those photos with T5 Blue only or together with 10KK BLV? Looks to me with T5 only?

:thanks:

Maxima

• SRC Member

Yazid,

BTW, did you took those photos with T5 Blue only or together with 10KK BLV? Looks to me with T5 only?

:thanks:

Maxima

It is with both BLV 250W 10K and T5 Blueplus on when I took that shot.

Somehow I couldn't take reasonable shots with T5 Blueplus only. The camera white balance is thrown off balance... :huh:

Notice the other frag of the birdnest is brown. It is on the same rock. Only 1 frag is purplish. It used to be the same color.