Mangroove and grape algae as nitrate remover

kareen

• SRC Member
Anyway.... forgot to add one point why I think mangrove has a few -minus points... they add tanin acids into the water, turning it brown...

Hi AT, according to the article by Julian Sprung, mangroves itself do not really release tannins into the water. It will release if the leaves are allowed to drop into the water and decompose...

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Anyway, if I had the space and time, I would have loved to keep a mini-mangrove swamp sump tank in my house and fill it with mudskippers and fiddler crabs... but that would mean the mud would smell plus I hope it don't attact sandflies and other undesirables! :o

Hi boss, if you did find a place to house some mangroves, i will gladly and humbly offer you some as a token of appreciation for your great effort in setting this wonderful SRC website and benefitting fellow reefers like me.

The mangroves are all Hawaiian mangroves direct from Hawaii of course, fully substrate or hydroponically grown with assurance of no unwanted bacteria or micro-organism attached and of course minus the sandflies and other undesirables.. :D:D

have fun reefing....

Thanks Reefzzz for the kind offer! :)

And thanks for clarifying that point up about tannins... I always thought that the root system itself would leach out tannins also.

We learn something new everyday!

• SRC Member
Kareen, I don't feed them chaeto anymore coz I find it difficult to clean out their long chaeto poo entangled to my sps.

Oh ya.... :thanks: miss out that in your first reply. If that's the case, that's a minus point for chaeto.... I have to supplement something else for the veggie..... Any comments from chaeto ###### grape algae user before? :bow:

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

BTW, wana to list the things I do to prevent the asexual of grape.... apart from keeping lights on for 24/7 in refugium. I only place small handful in morning near some light source. My observation is that when tank nitrate is high without light, grape asexual easily.... and take longer to asexual when nitrate is at acceptable range ie <40ppm. Also, the location that I clip the algae is moderate to high flow area to dilute any juice if any which I believe my 4 footer ###### 3 footer sump can take it.

• SRC Member

Hi AT, according to the article by Julian Sprung, mangroves itself do not really release tannins into the water. It will release if the leaves are allowed to drop into the water and decompose...

Oh no, what will the effect of tanin acid into the water? I have lots of leaves drop into the water.. Actually not leaves but those covering the leaves before the leaves open up..

In my sump there are plenty..

• SRC Member

Oh no, what will the effect of tanin acid into the water? I have lots of leaves drop into the water.. Actually not leaves but those covering the leaves before the leaves open up..

Do a check on PH & KH to investigate further....

• SRC Member

Effect of tannin, anyone?

Wonder wat does it do to fishes....fish no diarrhoea?? :D

From wiki.

"Tannins are an important ingredient in the process of tanning leather. Oak bark has traditionally been the primary source of tannery tannin, though inorganic tanning agents are also in use today.

Tannins may be employed medicinally in antidiarrheal, hemostatic, and antihemorrhoidal compounds.

Tannins produce different colors with ferric chloride (either blue, blue black, or green to greenish black) according to the type of tannin. Iron gall ink is produced by treating a solution of tannins with iron(II) sulfate.

Tannin is a component in a type of industrial particleboard adhesive developed jointly by the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization and Forintek Labs Canada."

Besides making your water slightly acidic and brown.... I believe nothing serious.

Its similar to the effect caused by placing driftwood in freshwater aquariums.... which discolours clear water.

• SRC Member

Effect of tannin, anyone?

Wonder wat does it do to fishes....fish no diarrhoea?? :D

From wiki.

"Tannins are an important ingredient in the process of tanning leather. Oak bark has traditionally been the primary source of tannery tannin, though inorganic tanning agents are also in use today.

Tannins may be employed medicinally in antidiarrheal, hemostatic, and antihemorrhoidal compounds.

Tannins produce different colors with ferric chloride (either blue, blue black, or green to greenish black) according to the type of tannin. Iron gall ink is produced by treating a solution of tannins with iron(II) sulfate.

Tannin is a component in a type of industrial particleboard adhesive developed jointly by the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization and Forintek Labs Canada."

Hahaha... seems like wrong application here though..... :lol:

• SRC Member

Besides making your water slightly acidic and brown.... I believe nothing serious.

Its similar to the effect caused by placing driftwood in freshwater aquariums.... which discolours clear water.

I'm not sure... it may have some effect on PH & KH depending on individual system and the amount of tanin acids.....

Besides the mud factor, there's a reason why the brackish water around mangrove swamps are brown in colour.... tannins!

That's why we fishermen switch to brightly coloured lures around mangroves for a higher hit rate!

But i doubt the number of mangroves in our sumps can affect the colour... we are talking very young and small saplings here.... not whole grown trees.

• SRC Member
Oh no, what will the effect of tanin acid into the water?  I have lots of leaves drop into the water..  Actually not leaves but those covering the leaves before the leaves open up..

Hey bro, when the leaves first sprout, a pair of those "so call" leaves covering the leaves will drop off. They only drop once. You can just manually pluck them off just when the first 2 leaves sprout. You only need to do it once per mangroves. The concern here is if they are allowed to drop into the water and decompose, nutrient are realease back into the system. Though they release a little taninns acid, the amount will not be significantly enough to cause yellow coloring in the water unles you are talking about a pile of it in a small amount of water. In worst case, the use of activated carbon will solve the problem...

• SRC Member
Now.. healthy growth. ;)

Mangrove-1.jpg

Mangrove-2.jpg

such fast rate of growing :o does tat means or indicate high level of nitrates in the tank ? Or jus tat tender care is given to the mangroves therefore such fast growth ? :rolleyes:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

my fair share :P 40 "trees"

post-7-1188839578.jpg

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member
I have no idea. Maybe i will leave it there and let it grow around them.

For reproduction, you have to ask Reefzzz. :)

:D I think u will face the problem earlier than I do.... On the other hand, my observation with the recent 10 stalk of mangrove do hint the possibility.... Any expert to confirm?